Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 1 2011, 10:22 PM   #676
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Beagleman wrote: View Post
Do we know that everyone who dies automatically becomes a zombie or does one have to be directly infected by one first?
No, the show hasn't actually stated that, but, many believe that's what the CDC guy whispered into Rick's ear. And truly, the plague had to start somewhere, so it makes sense that it started from people who died of natural causes (Or at elast non-biting causes) and came back and started biting people.

I'm pretty sure we've seen Zombies who haven't been eaten on, so, that would account for them, too. Did the church going Zombies have evidence of being infected with chew marks?. I wouldn't be surprised if they went in to pray, and took something to put themselves to death and then turned when they passed away.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2011, 11:31 PM   #677
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

well I finally got caught up on the last 2 episodes a lot secrets came out which is what we needed. now the bad news we gotta wait till febuary till new episodes.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2011, 01:35 AM   #678
J.T.B.
Commodore

I've stayed away from this thread for spolier avoidance and haven't read back too far, so sorry if I'm re-stating things covered before.

AvBaur wrote: View Post
Decomposition: Instead of decomposing more and more, the zombies at some point become "mummified". They get drier and stiffer, but they don't rot away completely.
That makes some sense. But, walking, pushing on doors, popping out and scaring people expends energy. Where does the zombie energy come from? Even if the body consuming itself releases some energy, it is a closed system and would have to run down sometime. Probably pretty quickly, since the zombie default mode seems to be "shamble about."

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Beagleman wrote: View Post
Do we know that everyone who dies automatically becomes a zombie or does one have to be directly infected by one first?
No, the show hasn't actually stated that, but, many believe that's what the CDC guy whispered into Rick's ear. And truly, the plague had to start somewhere, so it makes sense that it started from people who died of natural causes (Or at elast non-biting causes) and came back and started biting people.
Yet we've seen bodies pretty well decomposed with no signs of life, like the one Carl took the bag of knives from.

My take on Herschel: He represents the "old world," which is gone, and not being able to let go of that has unhinged his mind. Whether the plague can be cured is one thing, but even a country vet should have enough scientific training to know you can't "restore" decomposed tissue. Crude as it was, Shane's meltdown should snap everyone out of following Herschel, and I expect he will be marginalized.

On Shane: I can't stand Bernthal's acting, but things did come together for the character at the end. He represents the id-driven, survive-at-all-costs "primitive" man, though the performance has been so mumbly and aimless it was hard to tell before. He doesn't have the human qualities we normally want in a leader. Rick does, and Rick showed he has a strength that Shane doesn't have in the final scene. But the question will be, does that even matter anymore? Is Rick's more "civilized" leadership still valid, or is it time for strongest to take charge and the weak to do what they're told? Ralph or Jack?

Justin
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2011, 01:49 AM   #679
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

I still pick Ralph and I prefer to think I would do so no matter what desert island I was shipwrecked on.

If you have to live like an animal due to circumstances, that's one thing. If you have a choice and choose to abandon your humanity just because it's easier, that is wrong. And it's pretty obvious these characters still have that choice.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2011, 02:15 AM   #680
Lookingglassman
Admiral

Great ending. Can't wait until February!
Lookingglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2011, 02:59 AM   #681
Dream
Admiral

The Search for Sophia in 2 minutes

http://videos.nymag.com/video/The-Wa...The-Search-for

Nice.
Old December 2 2011, 03:11 AM   #682
the G-man
Commodore

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
Yet we've seen bodies pretty well decomposed with no signs of life, like the one Carl took the bag of knives from.
I've wondered about that too. I hope this isn't a case of "we're making stuff as we go along and we'll decide the rules later" ala "Lost"
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2011, 03:16 AM   #683
Horta Burger
Lieutenant

the G-man wrote: View Post
I've wondered about that too. I hope this isn't a case of "we're making stuff as we go along and we'll decide the rules later" ala "Lost"
I don't think that's the case. There is a great deal of attention being paid to character and theme development. That should see them through since there is no grand mystery to solve.
Horta Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2011, 03:18 AM   #684
Tosk
Rear Admiral

We've seen no hard evidence that there are any Walkers who were not bitten, and we have seen dead people who did not turn...so until we see someone die and come back without any Walker influence, I reckon it's safe to say the "rules" are intact.

It would also seem that Walker blood isn't a huge factor, only bites. I know they were dubious (rightly so) of drinking water from that well, but they never seem too worried about blood spatter when dispatching Walkers. Daryl re-uses his arrows, so the one that went into him has almost definitely been in a Walker at some stage. A good wipe on the pants does the trick.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2011, 08:18 PM   #685
Kytee
Commander

Finally caught this weeks episode, I agree with much of whats been said.
Sad, but fulfiling end to the Sophia search, and Shanes is clearly moving down a dark path.

I liked the hints at Daryl and Carol possibly getting closer, I think with the search ended as it has we could go two ways.

1) Carol loses it and Daryl gets much darker
2) They turn to each other for comfort,

I hope it goes the second route , Carol is quite a bit different from the comics and to be honest I much prefer this version, I want to see her develop, and Daryl rocks

Also, for some reason after that scene between Dale and Shane, I feel certain that Dale will be the one to kill Shane. I know contradicts what Dale said but I could even see a final conversation that goes something like this,

Dale holding a gun on Shane,
Shane : You said you wouldn't sink to my level, but here you are, just like me in the end.

and Dale reply with something along the lines of
Dale : I'm nothing like you, never will be *Bang*

I know I can't write dialog, but the idea being that Dale comes to the realisation that killing Shane is not at all like Shane killing Otis ( Assuming it is written in a way that makes Dale appear justified )

Anyway, will be eagerly anticipatiing the next episode!

-Kytee
Kytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2011, 10:06 PM   #686
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

With Shane training Carl to shoot, I still say it will be Carl to shoot Shane. I don't think they would have included that little tidbit for other then foreshadowing it.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2011, 10:58 PM   #687
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

some of you people really need to read the comics. this season they relied heavily on the comic book series. I won't say what but trust me you need to read it and then go back and watch the show.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2011, 11:10 PM   #688
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

timothy wrote: View Post
some of you people really need to read the comics. this season they relied heavily on the comic book series. I won't say what but trust me you need to read it and then go back and watch the show.
Nah, not me, I don't want spoilers (or even worse, thinking something is a spoiler and it never happens, or happens a different way, and my understanding of Continuity is all messed up - "Oh wait, no, that didn't happen on the show, that was from the comic, in the show "X" happened)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2011, 11:13 PM   #689
propita
Rear Admiral

Umm.....what killed those people? If everyone has a virus to become zombies upon death, these people obviously did not--yet they died sitting there.

Did a virus outright kill some; zombify others either immediately, upon their death, or upon their being bitten; and the few were immune (Jenner's secret)? If a bite is required, then how did the first zombie originate? If the virus caused zombify action directly, then all would likely be carriers, right?
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2011, 12:05 AM   #690
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Dream wrote: View Post
The Search for Sophia in 2 minutes

http://videos.nymag.com/video/The-Wa...The-Search-for

Nice.
That was pretty funny, but I still maintain my opinion that after the initial disappearance, in reality, not that much actual time was spent looking for her (at least on screen)... Once life transitioned on to the farm, other than Daryl's occassional jaunt and Shane's trip into zombie suburbia, Sophia's disappearance was only a minor plot point.

So for that reason, it didn't really bother me that it took this many episodes to "find" her.