Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 1 2011, 07:12 AM   #661
mr.peany
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mr.peany
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Akiraprise wrote: View Post
^ geez...

Also why are some people turned into walkers and others ripped to shreds? Why did Sophia only have the one bite? She was small enough that even one walker should have ripped her open. Unless she managed to stumble away somehow....

So many questions!
I've always wondered this. It permeates through Zombie-lore as well. What stops the Zombies from devouring their prey whole? Whilst some are simply content with inflicting a flesh wound??
http://unoland.myminicity.com/
mr.peany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2011, 10:24 AM   #662
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Tosk wrote: View Post
No assumption necessary. The page we can see is titled "LUKE 8"
I guess you have better eyes than I do.
Old December 1 2011, 10:38 AM   #663
O'Dib
Commodore

mr.peany wrote: View Post
Akiraprise wrote: View Post
^ geez...

Also why are some people turned into walkers and others ripped to shreds? Why did Sophia only have the one bite? She was small enough that even one walker should have ripped her open. Unless she managed to stumble away somehow....

So many questions!
I've always wondered this. It permeates through Zombie-lore as well. What stops the Zombies from devouring their prey whole? Whilst some are simply content with inflicting a flesh wound??
That's easy, and I think someone already covered it. If you get bitten by a sole zombie and manage to get away, you'll turn as a fairly intact cadaver. If you get crowded, you'll be all gone before you get an opportunity to turn.

Some of the less attractive zombies out there may have survived more severe attacks, or get injured while chasing/eating the livelier human specimens. Some might be further along in the process of decomposition, but that has to halt at some point for the apocalypse to remain viable, right?
Old December 1 2011, 12:35 PM   #664
Scout101
Admiral

Best to ignore that portion of it. Actual science as it applies to zombies is a bad mix for interesting stories.

They're in Atlanta, just picture rotting meat in 100 degree temps and ask yourself how long they'd last before they just start exploding like firecrackers...

Been liked to already here, but again, this pretty much shows you why the whole thing isn't worth trying to work out seriously, just can't happen, or sustain itself:
http://www.cracked.com/article_18683...l-quickly.html
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2011, 02:16 PM   #665
FreezeC77
Commodore

^pretty much yea. Just ignore real world/biological reality when it comes to zombies.

Why is it in this show the speed of the zombies never stays constant? Sometimes they're able to almost keep up with people at a running pace, other times there's packs just stumbling after people who are moving slowly.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2011, 02:56 PM   #666
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

The producers have actually explained both the zombie speed and the decomposition rate. (although their explanations may not hold up to scientific scrutiny)

Speed: The "fresher" the zombie is, the faster it is. Recently deceased zombies that weren't severely mutilated can move almost a fast as a healthy human, whereas the older ones move very slowly.

Decomposition: Instead of decomposing more and more, the zombies at some point become "mummified". They get drier and stiffer, but they don't rot away completely.

Can't find a source for this right now, but I'm pretty sure this is what I read in some interview with Frank Darabont last year.
Old December 1 2011, 03:22 PM   #667
Tosk
Rear Admiral

^And they don't even stick to those "rules" all the time. Drama is the only real key to how fast each Walker moves.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2011, 03:43 PM   #668
Scout101
Admiral

Yep, like any show. In star trek, the shields are always exactly as strong as the plot requires them to be.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
Old December 1 2011, 03:58 PM   #669
Kosh Naranek
Captain

I had wondered about those points. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust....At some point would not the Zombie hordes damage themselves to the point of most of them not being able to move far at all?

I kept thinking that if the surviving humans hunkered down like H and his bunch on the farm, could they not wait it out? It would take years of course and then survivors might run upon a suprisingly well preserved specimen.

Mummified? That would make them harder to hack into but would not the brain become tough and leathery then?

I am over thinking this...
Old December 1 2011, 04:07 PM   #670
Tom
Rear Admiral

Kosh Naranek wrote: View Post
I had wondered about those points. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust....At some point would not the Zombie hordes damage themselves to the point of most of them not being able to move far at all?

I kept thinking that if the surviving humans hunkered down like H and his bunch on the farm, could they not wait it out? It would take years of course and then survivors might run upon a suprisingly well preserved specimen.

Mummified? That would make them harder to hack into but would not the brain become tough and leathery then?

I am over thinking this...
In Southern climates the zombies would not last long the heat will decompose them fast so the survivours could wait it out and not have to worry about herds of Zombies. There would also need strict controls and daily checks to make sure none of the survivours have died and if they have to shot them in the head or burn the corpes ASAP.
Old December 1 2011, 04:38 PM   #671
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Zombies, like Space ships move at the "Speed of Plot"

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2011, 05:18 PM   #672
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Vorta Claus wrote: View Post
I want to know whether Herschell's theories are based on wishful thinking and delusion, or if he has any reason to believe he may be onto something.
At best, he's there to make people actually think about if the zombies are just sick people, even though they aren't. He's sort of like the foil to emphasize that zombies aren't people and that his particular religion is bunk, even though he presents what seems like good cases for them.

I was wondering which way they were going to go with the religion. Like, it's funny... Rick prays to Jesus to help find Sophia, and to give him a sign. The sign was the deer, and it led them to the farm and the barn where Sophia was. That's a pretty backwards granting for a wish, and it's particularly cruel.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2011, 09:38 PM   #673
Scout101
Admiral

Careful what you wish for, I suppose. He got exactly what he asked for. God's a busy man, you gotta be more precise with your prayers if you want a specific outcome...
Old December 1 2011, 09:59 PM   #674
the G-man
Commodore

Tom wrote: View Post
In Southern climates the zombies would not last long the heat will decompose them fast so the survivours could wait it out and not have to worry about herds of Zombies. There would also need strict controls and daily checks to make sure none of the survivours have died and if they have to shot them in the head or burn the corpses ASAP.
That reminds me of the ep in the first season where the 'street gang' was actually a group of attendants caring for the residents of an old folks' home. At some point, given how elderly and infirm the residents were, combined with the closed surroundings, those attendants were going to have their hands full.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2011, 10:15 PM   #675
Beagleman
Captain

Do we know that everyone who dies automatically becomes a zombie or does one have to be directly infected by one first?
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote