Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 30 2011, 05:39 AM   #646
Akiraprise

Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

^ geez...

I do highly doubt that the few chickens they tossed in from time to time would sustain all of those walkers. Even though they are dead, per se, they must still need some nourishment to continue to stumble around. I've always wondered why walkers don't turn on one another. Have we seen that in this show? They always just seem to attack the living.

Also why are some people turned into walkers and others ripped to shreds? Why did Sophia only have the one bite? She was small enough that even one walker should have ripped her open. Unless she managed to stumble away somehow....

So many questions!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain. I mean to avenge myself upon you Admiral. I've deprived your ship of power and when I swing around I mean to deprive you of your life. But I wanted you to know first who it was who had beaten you." - The Khan formerly known as...Khan
Akiraprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2011, 09:59 AM   #647
SonOfMogh
Commander

Akiraprise wrote: View Post
^ geez...

I do highly doubt that the few chickens they tossed in from time to time would sustain all of those walkers. Even though they are dead, per se, they must still need some nourishment to continue to stumble around. I've always wondered why walkers don't turn on one another. Have we seen that in this show? They always just seem to attack the living.

Also why are some people turned into walkers and others ripped to shreds? Why did Sophia only have the one bite? She was small enough that even one walker should have ripped her open. Unless she managed to stumble away somehow....

So many questions!
Traditionally, zombies gain nothing at all from eating. TWD zombies\seem to be based on the Romero universe, in which the only part of the zombie which has any life at all is the brain- Jenner also confirmed this to be the case at the CDC. There's actually a scene in Day Of The Dead where a scientist completely removes a zombie's digestive system and internal organs and it continues to function and seek food.

Not to mention the amount of functioning zombie heads we've seen with no body at all. The brain is semi alive- anything attached to it can move etc but is dead.

Any whether you become a walker or are devoured depends on whether you survive the initial attack. If you are bitten you will get a nasty infection and die, obviously death means reanimation. If you are completely cornered or overwhelmed then the zombies will completely devour you unless distracted by another living screaming person.

For all we know Sophia could've slipped, fell and died from internal injuries, without ever encountering a zombie.
SonOfMogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2011, 10:45 AM   #648
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ But it looked like she had a bite on her neck.

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
Would you want to see what happened to Sophia? I think I would. They could use one of those flashbacks they include at the beginning of episodes to show us what occurred.

I don't know about everyone else, but I would be interested in seeing it happen.
Yeah, I'd like to see that. It will be horrible to watch, but her story should be told.
Old November 30 2011, 12:12 PM   #649
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

I kinda suspected she was in the barn, but I was still hoping she was out there somewhere, possibly held captive by some group of scavengers, or hell, even Daryl's brother.

And y'know, the more I think about it, the more I can sympathize with Herschell. Its one thing to deal with random walkers, but facing the notion of having to put down people you knew and cared about is a whole different story. I'm guessing it was easier to just stash them in the barn for their own, and his families safety and just try not to think about it seemed like an easier solution.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2011, 03:56 PM   #650
Morpheus 02
Commodore

Cutter John wrote: View Post
I kinda suspected she was in the barn, but I was still hoping she was out there somewhere, possibly held captive by some group of scavengers, or hell, even Daryl's brother.

And y'know, the more I think about it, the more I can sympathize with Herschell. Its one thing to deal with random walkers, but facing the notion of having to put down people you knew and cared about is a whole different story. I'm guessing it was easier to just stash them in the barn for their own, and his families safety and just try not to think about it seemed like an easier solution.
And how soon did we forget about organ in the first season? He had the same problem, just one level down. He certainly was not willing to kill his wife's body, despite having the tool to do so.

Hershel's hope for a cure takes that compassion (misguided, apparently) to just the next level.
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2011, 10:17 PM   #651
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Cutter John wrote: View Post

I was hoping the "obviousness" of Sophia being in the barn (isn't that the first thing everyone would suspect after Glenn made the discovery? The characters should have wondered, too) was misdirection leading to a truly surprising outcome that nobody could guess.

I want to know whether Herschell's theories are based on wishful thinking and delusion, or if he has any reason to believe he may be onto something. The fact that he was shown studying a (presumably medical) book makes me wonder.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2011, 10:31 PM   #652
sojourner
Admiral

Herschel was delusional when it came to the zombies. Shane gave good evidence to that.

Country veterinarian vs CDC? no contest.
Old November 30 2011, 10:32 PM   #653
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Herschel isn't on to anything. Whether he's done any lab research is still in question (and it's unlikely he'd want to experiment on the barn walkers before now). But it's obvious he has no idea how they function. We've already agreed that he hasn't seen what things are like "out there" and probably has never seen a walker with the guts hanging out and so on -- but that means he has no experience with them. He didn't even know the creatures could survive multiple shots to the body.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2011, 10:51 PM   #654
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
The fact that he was shown studying a (presumably medical) book makes me wonder.
I think it more likely Herschel was reading a Bible.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2011, 11:43 PM   #655
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ That's exactly what I assumed.
Old December 1 2011, 03:52 AM   #656
Tosk
Rear Admiral

No assumption necessary. The page we can see is titled "LUKE 8"
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2011, 04:15 AM   #657
the G-man
Commodore

To be fair, St. Luke DID have a several hospitals named after him.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2011, 04:37 AM   #658
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
No assumption necessary. The page we can see is titled "LUKE 8"
So...definitely a Medical Journal then

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2011, 04:49 AM   #659
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Gospel of Luke, Chapter 8, huh? I wonder what he was reading (i.e., that might relate to the story)? Exorcising the Gerasenes demonic is there, for example.
Old December 1 2011, 07:08 AM   #660
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
I was hoping the "obviousness" of Sophia being in the barn (isn't that the first thing everyone would suspect after Glenn made the discovery? The characters should have wondered, too) was misdirection leading to a truly surprising outcome that nobody could guess.
I didn't see it coming because I just saw the barn as a ticking time bomb on its own and I didn't think Herschel had been collecting people he didn't know. In retrospect maybe I should've but it caught me by surprise.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote