Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 28 2011, 06:28 AM   #556
the G-man
Commodore

Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Given that a comic book characters don't have to age, but actors do, I wonder how the producers plan to deal with Carl. If the show is supposed to have taken place over the space of a few weeks (to date) since Rick woke up, but it takes "x" years to film all the episodes, they're either going to have to recast him or write him off.

That was part of why Walt was written off "Lost" as I recall.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2011, 07:07 AM   #557
sojourner
Admiral

^Yeah, Carl already looks about a foot taller than last season.
Old November 28 2011, 07:13 AM   #558
JWD75
Commander

I thought that it was a very strong finish to what was a rather slow first half of the season.
JWD75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2011, 08:42 AM   #559
Ryan
Commodore

It's interesting how much of Rick's personality in the comics is getting transferred to Shane in the TV series.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2011, 10:31 AM   #560
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Oh, man, I dread watching this now.
Old November 28 2011, 02:14 PM   #561
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Alpha Romeo wrote: View Post
See I don't understand this opinion. Doesn't mean you're not entitled to it but I still don't get it.
I agree. The acting is first rate and every show cannot be about shooting and killing zombies. Last night's episode was outstanding and it resolved a lot of the remaning issues, notably what happened to Sophia.

The teaser seemed to imply that Herschel is going to leave his farm for a while presumably in grief and anger.

The big surprise for me is how likable the Daryl character has become. I should have seen that coming. Bad guy turns into nice guy story arc.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2011, 02:37 PM   #562
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

DarthTom wrote: View Post
The big surprise for me is how likable the Daryl character has become. I should have seen that coming. Bad guy turns into nice guy story arc.
I expect to see Daryl take a turn to the dark side. It seems the only thing that has been holding him together was the search for Sophia. Now that we've learned her fate, I can see him coming apart.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2011, 04:20 PM   #563
C_Miller
Captain

Ryan wrote: View Post
It's interesting how much of Rick's personality in the comics is getting transferred to Shane in the TV series.
I don't really see that. Some of his actions are, like wanting to deal with the zombies in the barn, but I view Shane was rather unhinged,
Rick didn't start really acting like this until the prison.

And even then, it was because his people were getting attacked. Shane just went off the handle for no reason. They had been there for a week and no one was injured. If someone was killed, I'm sure Rick would have been right there with Shane.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2011, 05:00 PM   #564
Kosh Naranek
Captain

I figured she had to be in the barn. My mom even shouted "I knew it."

I was sad to see Rick having to shoot Sofia. I wonder if they will ever show what happened that led up to that point?

Shane is almost becoming too unhinged and villian-like. I can't see how they can have him continue on the show. Dale knows that Shane's cheese is starting to / has slid off his cracker.

I wonder how the show runners will do cast changes/losses? Boy is it going to be depressing if they all die at the end.
Old November 28 2011, 05:27 PM   #565
C_Miller
Captain

For the comic at least, which is around issue 100 of a planned 300 or so issue story, Robert Kirkman has that the only one who's safe is Rick (for the time being), since the comic is about his personal journey. And after Sophia's death, I think that it's safe to say that the TV show is taking a similar approach.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2011, 06:56 PM   #566
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Kosh Naranek wrote: View Post
Shane is almost becoming too unhinged and villian-like. I can't see how they can have him continue on the show. Dale knows that Shane's cheese is starting to / has slid off his cracker.
I was having a friendly debate with someone about that. Actually, if zombies had taken over the world, if the infrastructure had collapsed, I think Shane's actions are completly reasonable.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2011, 07:09 PM   #567
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

auntiehill wrote: View Post
[...] I think it's pretty clear to everyone now that Shane is definitely taking a ride on the Crazy Train.
Indeed, it would have to be pretty damn obvious after opening the barn up like that with everyone - even unarmed people - standing right there, though it fit in with the "point" that he was trying to make about fighting to defend yourself and your people. Still, as crazy as Shane is apparently becoming, he was the only one who was proactive in doing something about the walkers in the barn.

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I thought that Herschel was keeping her a secret but according to The Talking Dead, Otis snared her, put her in the barn and got killed before any discussion about a missing girl could take place.
That makes sense, and I have to say that I'm glad the intention wasn't that Herschel was keeping a young zombie girl in his barn a secret from the others (he obviously wouldn't have known her name even if he had been, but he would've had to suspect that it may have been Sophia). Herschel's mental state is undeniably damaged, but doing so would go beyond his belief that the zombies are simply people sick with a disease.

At this rate, Shane may soon present as much a threat to the group as the zombies do.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2011, 07:11 PM   #568
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

I figured she had to be in the barn. My mom even shouted "I knew it."
The show didn't leave too many other options by this point. That doofus on "Talking Dead" kept repeating that he never saw that coming; well, he's about the only one. I bet he was also surprised that Anakin turned into Darth Vader.

I was sad to see Rick having to shoot Sofia. I wonder if they will ever show what happened that led up to that point?
Note that Rick was able to bring himself to shoot Sofia when Shane couldn't. After Shane's speech about Rick not being suited for this kind of world, that says a lot. Maybe that will shut Shane up for a while, though I doubt it.

Who caught the segment of "Talking Dead" where they explained what happened to Sofia? Can we spoil that?

Edit: Okay, someone already posted it.

I thought Shane's demonstration was pretty good. How else do you prove that something isn't normally alive, except that it can't be normally killed? That got me thinking, though. Herschel may think the walkers can cured-- but apart from the fact that they're feral and unreasoning, there's also the fact that most of them have big gaping holes with stuff leaking out. Wounds that are beyond modern medicine. If he thinks those can be healed too, that's some serious denial.

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
DarthTom wrote: View Post
I expect to see Daryl take a turn to the dark side. It seems the only thing that has been holding him together was the search for Sophia. Now that we've learned her fate, I can see him coming apart.
I see that happening too. I only hope he doesn't totally go off the deep end. But that was already hinted at during the Merle "encounter".
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2011, 07:44 PM   #569
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Herschel was always in denial about the walkers (the comics parallel this). He'd somehow convinced himself, despite everything he'd seen and been told, that his wife and son could be made okay somehow. Maggie, his remaining living family who barely even speak, and every other zombie in the barn was being taken along for the ride.

This episode was the culmination of a loooot of setup, and was a very emotional climax for the whole half-season. However, I think everyone could agree that these seven episodes of story could have been told in four or five... I hope we don't have to go through that again.

How long has it actually been, time-wise, since the season started? I'm sure we coudl count the days? My wife and I think it's been a couple weeks since Carl was shot, but he's awful mobile for what's happened. Darryl too, for that matter.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2011, 08:46 PM   #570
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

At this point Shane may be more dangerous to the group than the zombies are . Sooner rather than later he's going to do violence towards one or more of the people he's traveling with. Rick or Dale better watch their backs.