Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 3 2011, 02:39 PM   #271
Kytee
Commander

Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

McCoy wrote: View Post
Interesting you should say this. Since watching this episode I've been wondering if maybe they're keeping Shane around and having him go in this direction because TPTB want to keep their hero noble. In the comic Rick goes to some pretty dark places. Using Shane to take on this aspect of Rick's journey gives us the drama without sacrificing the hero's moral high ground.
I was thinking the same thing, that would explain keeping him around and the writters could very easily lead Shane down the same path of self destruction that Rick travels in the comics. That would give us the same tone as the comics, without making the 'family man' have to get evil.

-Kytee
Kytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2011, 05:26 PM   #272
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Temis the Bleeding Aorta wrote: View Post
I've decided that these people are in such a mind-bendingly horrific situation that there's no way to apply notions of morality to what they're going through. Whatever they want to get up to is fine by me.
Ah yes, relative moralism. And now we have the Patriot Act.
Old November 3 2011, 08:25 PM   #273
propita
Rear Admiral

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
I've decided that these people are in such a mind-bendingly horrific situation that there's no way to apply notions of morality to what they're going through. Whatever they want to get up to is fine by me.
“If nothing we do matters, all that matters is what we do.” (from Angel)
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2011, 08:38 PM   #274
sojourner
Admiral

If you do not conquer your fear, your fear will conquer you.
If you do not turn off the light, the light will turn off you.
If you cannot pass the potatoes, the potatoes cannot pass you.
Old November 4 2011, 04:26 PM   #275
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
Btw, what do you guys think is going on with the zombie in the well next week?

Last edited by Neroon; November 4 2011 at 06:12 PM.
DarthTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2011, 05:36 PM   #276
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Sigh. Everyone, please keep in mind that the "Spoilers" tag in the subject line is to refer to unhidden spoilers for the tv series. If we're going to mention specific details from the comics, particularly future events, then please use spoiler code to maintain respect for those individuals who are watching the show but have not read the comics.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2011, 05:42 PM   #277
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Sigh. Everyone, please keep in mind that the "Spoilers" tag in the subject line is to refer to unhidden spoilers for the tv series. If we're going to mention specific details from the comics, particularly future events, then please use spoiler code to maintain respect for those individuals who are watching the show but have not read the comics.
Thank you.
Old November 4 2011, 06:37 PM   #278
Alpha Romeo
Vice Admiral

If you're a fan of the show and haven't read the comics yet shame on you.
Old November 4 2011, 06:47 PM   #279
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I have read the comics (though I am currently a little behind). However, there are many people on this board who are watching the show but haven't read the comics. Whether or not that's a matter of "shame" is immaterial to the need to do our best not to spoil possible future events for those individuals.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2011, 08:41 PM   #280
JD
Admiral

I'm a big fan of the show, but I haven't had a chance out the comics yet. I want to, I just haven't gotten a chance to read any of them yet.
Old November 4 2011, 09:17 PM   #281
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

You win Non Sequiter Post of the Week!

If America were overrun by a zombie apocalypse, the Patriot Act would be the least of our problems.

Alpha Romeo wrote: View Post
Eh. I'll probably never get around to the comics, honestly. The show is enough zombies for me.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2011, 09:22 PM   #282
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

If America were overrun by a zombie apocalypse, the Patriot Act would be the least of our problems.

Eh. I'll probably never get around to the comics, honestly. The show is enough zombies for me.
And...Comics knowledge could either confuse your theorizing (Because you're counting on things happening that they don't use from the comics) or You'll be spoiled on plot lines if they do use them.

I personally love the show, but, not interested in reading the comics, because I don't want to contaminate your views of the show and my expectations.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2011, 12:35 AM   #283
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

That's just silly. I sincerely doubt you've read or viewed the source material on every single show and movie you're a fan of.

Plus, as Sindatur mentions above, what if you want to come at the TV show fresh without any expectations or preconceptions from the comics?

I know a few things that might be upcoming from an online article about events and characters from the comics they'd like to see show up in the series, but otherwise I've stayed away from the comic until the show is over (or at least until the narrative obviously surpasses those issues).

I'm doing the same with Game of Thrones, which I bought as a book set (at a really good price), but will only read after the show's storyline has passed each individual novel.

It's not a non sequitur at all. He obviously wasn't talking about applying the Patriot Act in a time of a zombie apocalypse (how you arrived there is beyond me), but rather opposing the idea of compromising your morals because times are hard and they are no longer safe or convenient to maintain.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2011, 02:17 PM   #284
Ryan
Commodore

To be honest the TV series is already much better. The comic is just loaded with melodrama and adolescent power fantasies.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2011, 05:57 PM   #285
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

umm.... not exactly my point.
From the seminal modern zombie movie, Romero's Night of the Living Dead, the point has been to analyze societal interaction in microcosm, in a bottle universe. It's no coincidence that the hero of that film, made in the heat of the civil rights era, is black. Throwing out societal norms and deciding not to evaluate the conduct of the characters defeats the whole purpose of the exercise, indeed, of the very genre.

Lucas is Bored wrote: View Post
It's not a non sequitur at all. He obviously wasn't talking about applying the Patriot Act in a time of a zombie apocalypse (how you arrived there is beyond me), but rather opposing the idea of compromising your morals because times are hard and they are no longer safe or convenient to maintain.
Just so. In the aftermath of 9/11, I (a political conservative, I might add) was horrified at how people were willing to suspend the Constitution itself in the interest of exigency.
My heroes, fictional and not, were willing to live and die for what they believed in. Principles mean nothing until they are tested. One's convictions must be a code to live - and yes, die - by. If they can simply be put aside, then they weren't what that person - or that society - really believed in at all.

I have been a devout lawyer for my entire adult life. I believe the law, in a constant state of refinement and growth, is the ultimate codification of the human experience. To find that the people who pass and live by those laws don't truly believe in them leaves someone who believes in his society entirely bereft of any faith he might have had in that society.

The old TZ episode The Monsters are Due on Maple Street is an excellent fictional example.

This is what the zombie genre should be all about in the first place. What do we believe - how do we act - when the chips are down? Just what are we?

Last edited by A beaker full of death; November 5 2011 at 06:09 PM.
A beaker full of death is offline   Reply With Quote