Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 8 2012, 05:00 AM   #1786
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
And a jackalope will tear a zombie to pieces.
Sidehill dodgers shouldn't have much zombie trouble. They live on slopes a zombie can't climb.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2012, 10:44 AM   #1787
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ And Bigfoot just pops their heads off like they were Ken dolls.

nx1701g wrote: View Post
It would be even worse if insects got it. Zombie bees, zombie ants, zombie butterflies....
There is actually a book series called The Rising that follows that premise. A military research installation opens a doorway to hell and demons are able to escape into the bodies of the recently deceased. Not to spoil the novel but, at the end of the second book in the duo, the final chapter is about the death of the last surviving animal life forms and the demons starting to overtake insects.

It was actually a fairly good series. One of the creepiest zombie works of fiction that I've ever read.

Also, as asked by another poster, zombies attacking animals other than humans depends on the author in question. In the Romero series of films (despite a brief shot of an insect being eaten) zombies are said not to pursue anything other than humans - Survival of the Dead uses this as a major plot point. The same was said of the remake of Dawn of the Dead when the dog Chips was able to walk passed zombies and survive alone in a parking garage infested by them. Nonetheless, in the 1990 remake of Night by Tom Savini a zombie can be observed eating a field mouse and, as seen in TWD, zombies did eat the horse and the swamp walker partially ate a cow before attacking Dale.
You'd think the characters would take advantage of the fact that the Zombies eat animals by using them as decoys.
Old April 8 2012, 11:20 PM   #1788
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^and waste perfectly good meat?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2012, 09:32 AM   #1789
RJDiogenes

Like horses and dogs? It would be worth losing some animals if it means safeguarding the group.
Old April 9 2012, 11:23 AM   #1790
Silent_Bob
Fleet Captain

Like horses and dogs? It would be worth losing some animals if it means safeguarding the group.
Probably wouldn't work. From what we've seen so far in the comics and series, the zombies get distracted pretty easily once whatever they are munching on is dead. A zombie plague that actually stopped to eat what it's just killed would be fairly easy to contain, Dale would have survived that night if the Zombie'd been to busy chowing down on the cow.

Plus again, why waste good meat? Foods limited enough, you don't want to miss out on Kentucky Fried Poodle.
Old April 9 2012, 11:56 AM   #1791
the G-man
Commodore

Silent_Bob wrote: View Post
Probably wouldn't work. From what we've seen so far in the comics and series, the zombies get distracted pretty easily once whatever they are munching on is dead....
Also, given the herd mentality it might actually attract more walkers to the area than the group could handle.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2012, 11:18 PM   #1792
RJDiogenes

Yeah, but you could attract them to the opposite side of town so that you're left alone while you pick up supplies. Or you could lure them into a pit or something.
Old April 10 2012, 05:08 AM   #1793
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Yeah, but you could attract them to the opposite side of town so that you're left alone while you pick up supplies. Or you could lure them into a pit or something.
I think the finale showed us the best way to lead the Zombies is with sound (((DINNER BELL))) And taking a position in the sky is the safest position you can take when driving the herd

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2012, 06:28 AM   #1794
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

I've been wondering whether Rick's gang shouldn't have tried to drive/lead/decoy the herd right on past the farm. Anyone not able to fight could just hide in the house until they're gone. Those who did the decoying could get a decent lead on the herd, get out of their line of sight, and then circle back. It's not like the zombies are automatically going to besiege the house just because it's there. As long as you don't draw their attention to it.

I suppose by the time they were aware of the threat, it was a little late to come up with a plan like that.
Old April 10 2012, 08:26 AM   #1795
Silent_Bob
Fleet Captain

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
I've been wondering whether Rick's gang shouldn't have tried to drive/lead/decoy the herd right on past the farm. Anyone not able to fight could just hide in the house until they're gone. Those who did the decoying could get a decent lead on the herd, get out of their line of sight, and then circle back. It's not like the zombies are automatically going to besiege the house just because it's there. As long as you don't draw their attention to it.

I suppose by the time they were aware of the threat, it was a little late to come up with a plan like that.
I would imagine it also depends on the size of the herd. It wouldn't be much use if the herd was so big half of it got distracted and decided to try and eat the people you were trying to lead them away from.

Massive flaw in your plan that specifically relates to The Walking Dead: Carl. If they are supposed to hide in the house, then Carl is guaranteed to be wandering around the fields attracting every walker in the area.

Last edited by Silent_Bob; April 10 2012 at 08:43 AM.
Silent_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2012, 09:32 AM   #1796
RJDiogenes

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I think the finale showed us the best way to lead the Zombies is with sound (((DINNER BELL))) And taking a position in the sky is the safest position you can take when driving the herd
Yeah, that's something I'd take advantage of, too. Anything from a little yippy dog to a tape recorder could be used to distract them away from you.
Old April 10 2012, 04:14 PM   #1797
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Silent_Bob wrote: View Post
Massive flaw in your plan that specifically relates to The Walking Dead: Carl. If they are supposed to hide in the house, then Carl is guaranteed to be wandering around the fields attracting every walker in the area.
It's true; no plan is totally Carl-proof.
Old April 10 2012, 04:26 PM   #1798
the G-man
Commodore

They should dress Carl in a "Gilligan" outfit next season.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2012, 06:42 PM   #1799
sojourner
Admiral

^They can start with Dale's hat. He's not using it anymore.
Old April 10 2012, 07:02 PM   #1800
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Carl already has a hat, or at least he did. Anyone notice whether he still has it?

You know, I just realized: when Rick owned that hat, he was the dumb-ass walker magnet. Since then, he's wised up, passed the hat to Carl, and now Carl is the dumb-ass walker magnet. If the hat's still around, let's keep an eye on it. I think I'm onto something.