Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant

Saldana: Balancing Work And Motherhood

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 26 2012, 07:00 AM   #1696
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Dude, did you want Rick and Shane to butt heads over Lori for yet another season? More love triangle? A who's the daddy drama to play out? Not me.
I would have solved the problem by:
a) having Shane snuggle up to Rick one night and have them both realize that Lori's the problem
b) Lori accidentally killing herself because she's a useless, stupid cow
c) Rick and Shane "comforting" each other and explaining to Carl that from now on he has two daddies.

Shane was a great character, he had to go because he wanted to kill Rick, but that didn't have to happen, the writers could have changed that, but they fucked up because apparently they think they have to follow the comics somehow.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2012, 07:11 AM   #1697
Immolatus
Captain

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
I just rewatched the season finale before deleting it from my DVR and noticed something that might let Lori off the hook a bit. When Rick was confessing about killing Shane, she just looked confused until he got to the part about Carl "putting Shane down." Then she reacted badly and looked like she was going to throw up or something.

I got the impression that she was mostly upset about the idea of Carl becoming a part of all the insane violence (especially towards a guy he'd seen as a father figure) and her own role in the sequence of events leading up to it. Then, instead of blaming herself, she blamed Rick. Not rational but in a zombie apocalypse, rationality is in short supply.

Beagleman wrote: View Post
Oil rig close to the shore would be my first choice, easily defendable and immune to zombies (well except for "home-grown" ones).
The Achilles Heel of an oil rig is that it's connected to the seabed. As we know from World War Z, zombies can walk along the bottom of the ocean (and in fact, can cross oceans) and if they stumble across one leg of the oil rig, they could try crawling up it. Not because they would know what's up there, but because in a swarm of zombies, you can count some of them to do any random thing that's possible. It's all about probabilities.

Anchors are a bad idea for a similar reason. Which may rule out ships entirely. Without an anchor, you loose control of the vessel and could run aground.
do you have any idea how hard it is to climb an anchor?
Beware the beast man for he is the Devils pawn. Alone among Gods primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Let him not breed in great numbers for he will make a desert of his home & yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Immolatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2012, 07:33 AM   #1698
sojourner
Admiral

Careful, she has a fragile ego. We may not see her return to the thread for days.

On second thought, go ahead.
Old March 26 2012, 08:02 AM   #1699
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Pretty hard to stalk a group that's locked down in a prison like settlement. I can see why TPTB decided against incorporating Shane and yet another group. I'm interested to see what eventually happens to Lori, knowing her fate in the comics. Realistically, how can they incorporate a newborn into this setting?
With all the location shooting and the limit on how long a baby can be on set makes it pretty impossible. Lori dies before giving birth or she has a miscarriage or the baby is born and then dies and becomes a zombie seem to be the likely outcomes. Either that or they jump ahead a few years.
Old March 26 2012, 01:10 PM   #1700
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

^I'm wondering about Carl as well, I think he's at that age where he's going to grow anytime soon. It might be interesting for them to jump forward a few years, but would they really do that?

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2012, 01:23 PM   #1701
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
^I'm wondering about Carl as well, I think he's at that age where he's going to grow anytime soon. It might be interesting for them to jump forward a few years, but would they really do that?
Yea, I'm thinking Karl will outgrow the age of plot before S4 can be filmed, so, unless they do a time jump, S3 will likely be his last.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2012, 01:45 PM   #1702
Kosh Naranek
Captain

But thank gawd they didn't go that route.
What? You don't want the Rick/Shane/Lori love triangle to go on for the duration of the series???

At this point Rick and Daryl are the only two characters on the show that I give a damn about.
Funny you should say that. I completely agree. Since they're obviously not bound by comic canon in which Daryl doesn't exist, I say make them become great allies, the sheriff and the former white supremacist. Everyone loves a reformed sinner, and call me girly if you want to, but bromance usually works pretty well if you're not overly sappy and heavy handed with it. Comrades in arms and trying to be stoic moments and all that great stuff. I am growing fond of Hershel, though. I'm glad he survived.

The only four that I currently care about are Daryl, Rick, Herschel and Glenn.

If I had to rank in order or my fav:
Daryl
Glenn
Rick
Herschel - I can't even put a finger on why other than he seems to have integrity?

Lori is probably a goner in season 3. I can see her bleeding out during child birth. I don't know about the baby.

Maybe that is why they are keeping Carol around? She does not mind washing clothes and does not randomly mess up as much as Lori? Rick is going to need a Governess for psycho Carl and Baby Grimes.

Last edited by Kosh Naranek; March 26 2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: puncutation errors
Kosh Naranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2012, 03:06 PM   #1703
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

How would they feed a child if Lori was dead? It's not as if a prison has a baby store stocked with formula. I just thought of that.

With Carl, you simply recast if the actor gets too tall. And I don't see how Rick ever assumes authority with unstable Shane around. I still say it was necessary for the story to progress well.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2012, 03:19 PM   #1704
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

How would they feed a child if Lori was dead? It's not as if a prison has a baby store stocked with formula. I just thought of that.

With Carl, you simply recast if the actor gets too tall. And I don't see how Rick ever assumes authority with unstable Shane around. I still say it was necessary for the story to progress well.
To be honest, I would rather they simply ignore the aging, then replace the actor. Replacing the actor would bring up flashbacks of Roseanne and the goofy jokes they made about Becky recasting and recasting again back to the original actress.

Old March 26 2012, 03:26 PM   #1705
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

Kosh Naranek wrote: View Post
But thank gawd they didn't go that route.
What? You don't want the Rick/Shane/Lori love triangle to go on for the duration of the series???

At this point Rick and Daryl are the only two characters on the show that I give a damn about.
Funny you should say that. I completely agree. Since they're obviously not bound by comic canon in which Daryl doesn't exist, I say make them become great allies, the sheriff and the former white supremacist. Everyone loves a reformed sinner, and call me girly if you want to, but bromance usually works pretty well if you're not overly sappy and heavy handed with it. Comrades in arms and trying to be stoic moments and all that great stuff. I am growing fond of Hershel, though. I'm glad he survived.

The only four that I currently care about are Daryl, Rick, Herschel and Glenn.

If I had to rank in order or my fav:
Daryl
Glenn
Rick
Herschel - I can't even put a finger on why other than he seems to have integrity?

Lori is probably a goner in season 3. I can see her bleeding out during child birth. I don't know about the baby.

Maybe that is why they are keeping Carol around? She does not mind washing clothes and does not randomly mess up as much as Lori? Rick is going to need a Governess for psycho Carl and Baby Grimes.
Daryl needs Carol to continue developing.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2012, 03:30 PM   #1706
FreezeC77
Commodore

I'm rooting for umbilical cord strangles baby = zombie baby = chews way out of Lori.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2012, 03:40 PM   #1707
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post

I'm rooting for umbilical cord strangles baby = zombie baby = chews way out of Lori.
And Karl for desert

Old March 26 2012, 04:06 PM   #1708
Kosh Naranek
Captain

I agree that Darly needs Carol to keep developing. She believes in him. I have the feeling that Daryl would go ape shit if Carol died.

They could feed the baby without Lori. They could raid Walmart for formula or find a goat.

I would rather they keep original recipe Carl. I don't like it when they just ditch actors because of their age. The show can just give me a throw away lie about a growth spurt.

Last edited by Kosh Naranek; March 26 2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Kosh Naranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2012, 04:18 PM   #1709
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Ok so my friend and I finally sat down and watched the last 4 episodes of TWD in a marathon manner last night.

Loved all of them, watching them in succession like that makes them flow better. It also doesn't cause me to question things the thread spent 10+pages talking about. Where did the zombie herd come from. I was fully ready to buy into the idea of a migration(loosely mentioned), + the swamp drying out due to weather + all the shouting and gun shots around the farm for a few episodes. Then they show us the helicopter and problem solved before we can think on it any more.

Lori - yep, I hate her. I don't read the comic, is she like this in the comic? That woman is a clusterfuck of masterful proportions.

Sadly, Dale's fate was spoiled for me all over Facebook and even the "bullseye" of Entertainment Weekly. Luckily the same did not happen for Shane. Despite knowing from these threads that Shane dies way earlier in the comic I was resigned to the idea he'd be around longer here for sure. Then...he wasn't.

I too thought they would spend several episodes regrouping next season. Glad to see they are back together and we will not waste episodes doing that. Having not read the comics the hooded sword weilder was a "gotcha" moment for us. We both were very WTF--are those two armless zombies chained to him/her. We couldn't make out the sex of the individual. I now see it's a woman spot reading the thread.

So, that is the Prison I've heard much about. Are things about to crazy real fast? Seems to be the general idea.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2012, 04:38 PM   #1710
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Ok so my friend and I finally sat down and watched the last 4 episodes of TWD in a marathon manner last night.

Loved all of them, watching them in succession like that makes them flow better. It also doesn't cause me to question things the thread spent 10+pages talking about. Where did the zombie herd come from. I was fully ready to buy into the idea of a migration(loosely mentioned), + the swamp drying out due to weather + all the shouting and gun shots around the farm for a few episodes. Then they show us the helicopter and problem solved before we can think on it any more.

Lori - yep, I hate her. I don't read the comic, is she like this in the comic? That woman is a clusterfuck of masterful proportions.

Sadly, Dale's fate was spoiled for me all over Facebook and even the "bullseye" of Entertainment Weekly. Luckily the same did not happen for Shane. Despite knowing from these threads that Shane dies way earlier in the comic I was resigned to the idea he'd be around longer here for sure. Then...he wasn't.

I too thought they would spend several episodes regrouping next season. Glad to see they are back together and we will not waste episodes doing that. Having not read the comics the hooded sword weilder was a "gotcha" moment for us. We both were very WTF--are those two armless zombies chained to him/her. We couldn't make out the sex of the individual. I now see it's a woman spot reading the thread.

So, that is the Prison I've heard much about. Are things about to crazy real fast? Seems to be the general idea.
Agreed on the Zombie, all the gun shots, the drying up swamp and other various noises added up over the weeks at the farm was enough, and the helicopter driving them out of the city just topped it all off.

According to The Talking Dead, yea, thinks will be ramping up in S3.

With Michonne's Zombie belt having their arms removed (and, I didn't notice, but, another poster pointed out the jaws were removed as well), the idea is not much different from Ricks idea of smearing Zombie guts all over their bodies