Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 22 2012, 06:39 PM   #1636
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

^^^^^ The only thing safer I'd imagine would be an underground bunker or an island that has been completely cleared of the zombies.

In World War Z the US government is evacuated to Hawaii where they setup the new location to run the government. I'd imagine that Hawaii or a similar island location would be good for containment.
DarthTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2012, 06:50 PM   #1637
Servo
Rear Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
^^^^^ The only thing safer I'd imagine would be an underground bunker...
Romero's Day of the Dead would beg to differ.
Old March 22 2012, 07:18 PM   #1638
sojourner
Admiral

^Well, the bunker was safe. It was the activities of the residents that was the issue.
Old March 22 2012, 08:14 PM   #1639
Servo
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
^Well, the bunker was safe. It was the activities of the residents that was the issue.
Which seems to be the problem across the board in zombie media. The only safe place in a zombie apocalypse is a place where there are no humans to fuck it up.
Old March 22 2012, 08:21 PM   #1640
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Easy answer, then. Let the zombies win.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2012, 08:45 PM   #1641
scnj
Captain

I haven't read all of World War Z, so I'm not sure if this is covered, but I figure an oil rig would be fairly safe from zombies.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2012, 09:06 PM   #1642
Disruptor
Commodore

scnj wrote: View Post
I haven't read all of World War Z, so I'm not sure if this is covered, but I figure an oil rig would be fairly safe from zombies.
Once your supplies run out, whattya got?

You'd need a crane operator and copter with pilot, too.

Plus hurricane season wouldn't be fun.
Disruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2012, 09:09 PM   #1643
davejames
Vice Admiral

The problem with a prison or oil rig, is you'd STILL need to take lots of trips outside for supplies. Especially the more people you get in there.

Edit. Oops, looks like Disrupter beat me to it.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2012, 09:20 PM   #1644
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

scnj wrote: View Post
Nuclear submarine or an aircraft carrier might be another.
DarthTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2012, 10:13 PM   #1645
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
Kosh Naranek wrote: View Post
I was in bed last night thinking why don't they look for a lake with an island in the center? The zombies can't swim and you would be relatively safe. Or just get a boat and drop anchor. Sure you would have to leave and forage for supplies but you could possibly get a some rest.
Just get a carnvival cruise liner go down to the bahamma's and ancor the boat a mile off shore. Use smaller boats to get supplies. A zombie can not just walk out a mile into the ocean with currents and find the ancor and climb the chain to the boat.

Speaking that, what about all the naval vessels out at sea, they are zombie proof unless their own crew start to just die and turn to zombies.
A more feasible solution for the characters in TWD would be to find a decent island on Lake Lanier. Being a man-made lake in the mountains/foothills of North Georgia, it has plenty to choose from. And since it's such a large lake, it would be easy to live off the fish. The only thing I'd worry about is if Buford Dam eventually gave way. By then, hopefully the walkers wouldn't be much of a problem.
Old March 22 2012, 10:14 PM   #1646
Dream
Admiral

Stupid Lori

http://cdn.wg.uproxx.com/wp-content/.../03/lori-5.jpg
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2012, 10:39 PM   #1647
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Heeeeey! The "Bitch, please™" face!!!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2012, 10:40 PM   #1648
Jan
Commodore

Sindatur wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
DarthTom wrote: View Post
edited to add: speaking of World War Z, I didn't realize that JMS is writing. I dunno if that bods well or good for the film.
Clearly JMS can do no wrong.
I believe they weren't happy with his script, it wasn't "commercial" enough, so, it's been/being rewritten (Though I don't know to what degree). I believe the actual complaint was he was too true to the source material, which wouldn't be commercial enough.
Immediately upon the director coming on board, the script was rewritten. Turns out that it was rewritten *so* extensively that JMS no longer has a writing credit for the film. I think this is pretty unusual.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 12:01 AM   #1649
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Not at all; welcome to Hollywood!

WWZ is required reading for those who want to survive the zombie apocalypse. Or at least those who will die DURING the zombie apocalypse, but safe in the knowledge that the world may eventually turn out more or less okay. :P

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 11:00 AM   #1650
Reverend
Rear Admiral

B.J. wrote: View Post
Tom wrote: View Post
Kosh Naranek wrote: View Post
I was in bed last night thinking why don't they look for a lake with an island in the center? The zombies can't swim and you would be relatively safe. Or just get a boat and drop anchor. Sure you would have to leave and forage for supplies but you could possibly get a some rest.
Just get a carnvival cruise liner go down to the bahamma's and ancor the boat a mile off shore. Use smaller boats to get supplies. A zombie can not just walk out a mile into the ocean with currents and find the ancor and climb the chain to the boat.

Speaking that, what about all the naval vessels out at sea, they are zombie proof unless their own crew start to just die and turn to zombies.
A more feasible solution for the characters in TWD would be to find a decent island on Lake Lanier. Being a man-made lake in the mountains/foothills of North Georgia, it has plenty to choose from. And since it's such a large lake, it would be easy to live off the fish. The only thing I'd worry about is if Buford Dam eventually gave way. By then, hopefully the walkers wouldn't be much of a problem.
I don't know. Zombies may not be able to swim, but providing the water isn't too deep they can walk along a lake bed easy enough. It may even take them a while but Zak is nothing if not persistent and determined. On the other hand, if it's an island with cliffs on all sides, then that might make it the safest option. You'd still need enough square acreage to grow enough crops to feed yourselves, survive winter plus extra for emergencies AND a fresh water supply. Then there's the problem of fuel. Between fires and building material you might find yourself running low on trees after a year or two. No matter which way you cut it, I think that unless you can clear and make save a LARGE island (think Ireland, Iceland, Madagascar etc) then you're going to ultimately end up starving or freezing to death.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote