New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade THE THING
Excellent 5 20.83%
Good 14 58.33%
Average 5 20.83%
Bad 0 0%
Terrible 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 14 2011, 01:48 AM   #1
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

THE THING (2011): Discussion, Spoilers, Reviews

Taking place three days before the events of the John Carpenter film, paleontologist Kate Lloyd is recruited by scientist Sander Halversen and his assistant Adam Goodman to join a Norwegian scientific team that has stumbled across a crashed extraterrestrial spaceship buried beneath the ice of Antarctica. They discover the frozen corpse of a creature that seems to have died in the crash eons ago.

After recovering the creature in a frozen block of ice, they transport it back to their base and conduct an experiment which frees the alien from its frozen prison. Kate joins the crew's pilot, Carter, to keep it from killing and imitating them one at a time, using its uncanny ability to mimic any life form it absorbs through digestion, and potentially reaching civilization.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2011, 02:37 AM   #2
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Re: THE THING (2011): Discussion, Spoilers, Reviews

I hope it will be good. Absolutely adore Mary Elizabeth Winstead!
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2011, 02:57 AM   #3
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Adore her too, will likely go see this movie with my buddy Saturday evening, will report back with my review that night.

Roger Ebert gave it a negative review (2.5 stars):

This version of "The Thing," directed by Matthijs van Heijningen Jr., provides such graphic and detailed views of the creature that we are essentially reduced to looking at special effects, and being aware that we are.
It's another one of his reviews that focuses less on the craft or the plot of the movie itself but more in the illogic of the creature imitating people and then exposing itself as a fraud. It's a bit more detailed than his "Nemesis" review where he criticized the movie for not lining up with how he thinks electricity will work in 400 years, but it's another one of those reviews where the movie's plot illogic overcomes the "craft" of the movie. (Comparatively, he was kind to "Real Steel" even though that movie's plot is just as thin if you were to analyze it.)

"The Thing" is a 39% ("Rotten") at Rotten Tomatoes based on 59 reviews. (22% "Rotten" based on 18 "Top Critic" reviews.)
Old October 14 2011, 07:14 AM   #4
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Ebert didn't like Carpenter's version, either.
Old October 14 2011, 11:44 AM   #5
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Spookman Spiff wrote: View Post
Well, Ebert's a fool then.
Old October 14 2011, 07:13 PM   #6
Moodib
Lieutenant

Suprisingly well made and fun prequel to the 1982 Sci-fi horror masterpiece which itself remains the definitive and faithful adaptation of John Campbell's novel "Who Goes There".

I can't wait to go to Universal next Friday and check out horror nights's Thing maze
Moodib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2011, 07:21 PM   #7
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Average

Saw it at a free screenin' the other night...I wasn't too impressed, but then I just saw the original for the first time a couple of months ago, so its still fresh in my mind.
Old October 14 2011, 08:45 PM   #8
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i'm off to see this. i doubt it will be as good as Carpenter's version, but it does look like fun.
Old October 14 2011, 08:53 PM   #9
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Spookman Spiff wrote: View Post
Well, Ebert's a fool then.

LOT'S of people hated it and still do.
Old October 14 2011, 08:54 PM   #10
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Why is it that none of the characters in the trailer look or sound Norwegian?

RAMA
Old October 14 2011, 08:59 PM   #11
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
Why is it that none of the characters in the trailer look or sound Norwegian?

RAMA
MEW's character is an American brought in to consult on what the Norwegians discovered, not sure on why everyone else "doesn't sound Norwegian" but then I'm not sure I can say what I think a Norwegian sounds like.

As for the original being disliked in its day, I suppose. But I see it as just one of those "cult classics." I mean Kurt Russell, Wilford Brimley, a giant mouth opening up out of a guy's chest and chomping off a doctor's arms?! The inexplicable idea that apparently flame-throwers are standard equipment at the south pole?!

What is there to not like!

Old October 14 2011, 10:08 PM   #12
davejames
Vice Admiral

The impression I get is that most people at the time were too turned off by the blood and gore to appreciate anything else about the film.

As for the new movie, I'll most likely wait for the rental. Hearing that it's basically just a rehash of the previous movie, only with a lot more CGI, doesn't exactly inspire much confidence.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2011, 11:42 PM   #13
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

Half the cast are damn Swedes, I mean Norwegians, so they better sound Norwegian.

This was excellent and you'll regret not seeing it in theatres. I was really worried it would just be a premake with CGI, but the beats they hit are actually pretty good and remind you of the 82 film rather than rip it off, while establishing their own beats as well. Being two teams of scientists, they come up with similar ideas, and the Things counter them in similar ways, but seriously, there's not a lot of ways to do things down at the South Pole. Copy shit. Get unmasked by some type of test. Slaughter people. Shoot it (not too effective), Kill it with fire! ... ??? ... Profit?

I thought they did especially well at setting up the aftermath to match (nearly) seamlessly with 82. The acting was good, sets great, CGI decent (seen better, seen worse, didn't throw me out of the film and while not as disgusting as the 82 practical effects, were pretty icky). I got head-faked at least once with who was a Thing, though some take-overs you knew were going to happen.

The setting was so cool to see again. Makes me wish At the Mountains of Madness hadn't fallen through.

Oh! They had musical cues/beats from 82 that instantly set the mood, too.

Ebert has his head up his ass still from not liking the first one. Typical of him, he misses plot points, references and inferences that are pretty plain to see, just so he can complain about shit. If I had a dollar for every time Ebert complained about shit that didn't even happen in the film, I'd have at least ten dollars.

Here's a clue or two, Ebert...The Thing didn't build that spaceship, it's last victim did. It uses a weird amalgam of body-parts because it is on an alien world and it takes time to figure out exactly what would be the best bodyform to morph into, let alone to do the morphing. Whenever a Thing separates, it no longer has any allegiance to its disparate parts. Each little bit of the Thing is interested in protecting itself, not the whole or the group. That's why it reveals itself and splits up to attack or runs away.

Anyway... If you liked the first one at all, you'll enjoy this addition to the Thingverse.

And there's definitely an opening for a sequel to 82 that could

spoilers!

link the survivors? of both films together...

At the Russian just base 50 miles north. We can make it!

Maybe even include some military guys this time or KGB, really get into the Meta who's a commie vibe of 82.

Last edited by Base_Delta_Zero; October 14 2011 at 11:58 PM.
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2011, 01:22 AM   #14
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Excellent!

Manages to be reminiscent of both the 1950's and 1982 movies and still be its own movie...a sick, sick movie with several eye-hiding moments!

Sweet!

-Regina, heralding Elsa's arrival.
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2011, 02:59 AM   #15
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

just got back from seeing this and i really enjoyed it. its a nice set up for the 82 film. sometimes it feels like you are watching the 82 film. the monsters are pretty gross looking and a bit over the top at times. its a fun film and if you enjoy the 82 Thing you will enjoy this.