RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,400
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 561
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How Would You Grade The Episode?
Awesome 6 25.00%
Above Average 13 54.17%
Average 1 4.17%
Below Average 2 8.33%
Horrible 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 8 2011, 08:24 PM   #31
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: American Horror Story (FX) 1x01 Pilot (Grading/Discussion)

I expect the ratings to drop some, since that's normal for a second episode. It's not out of the question that they might rise if word of mouth spreads that it's a great guilty-pleasure show.

But I wouldn't wait for the show to stop being an ungodly mess. Either the ratings will keep it going, which will send the message to the showrunners that what they're doing is working, or the ratings will fall and it will be cancelled.

My experience is that series premieres are usually a good indication of what the show is going to like for its lifetime. They might improve some, but they don't radically change character (The Vampire Diaries for example - the writing improved but if you weren't into the teen angst thing at the start, you still won't be into it in S3).
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2011, 11:15 AM   #32
OsmiumJohnnycake
Fleet Captain

What an utterly ridiculous show. Sort of amusing how they took a lot of bad editing aspects of modern horror and turned the dial to 11. Want to see what's happening with the daughter at school? Okay, here's her story in a few 15 second scenes. And don't worry, if you aren't interested with what's going on right this second, wait until the next second where there's a good chance it will be totally different.

I'm not saying I disliked it. In fact I won't even rate it yet because I just don't know. It was absurd. There's no way for me to take any of it even the littlest bit seriously. There is a chance I will end up enjoying it as a comedy, because that's what it felt like most to me - take horror films from the last decade, amp it up and when you think you are done amping it up then amp it up more. That scene with the burned man chasing Dylan first in his car then on foot then Dylan grabbing him - the way that was edited was just, I don't know, are they trying to make me feel like I'm on a crazy new drug? It was funny. It was silly. It was creative. Not really sure if it's good but that almost doesn't matter.

I haven't read anything about the show (hadn't seen any previews before watching either) but I am now curious about the creator's intent. There is a definite echo of Nip/Tuck in that both shows often made me laugh at things that I could never entirely be sure were supposed to be funny.
OsmiumJohnnycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2011, 01:06 PM   #33
DarKush
Rear Admiral

^
With the Nip/Tuck comparison I just think the premise of N/T was more sustainable for a multiyear series than American Horror Story. And despite N/T being over-the-top at times it felt more grounded. AHS went from 0 to 60 already in the pilot and the longer this family stays in the house the less sympathy I think the audience will feel for them. The show's creators are going to have to come up with a damn good reason to keep them in that house.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2011, 02:09 PM   #34
OsmiumJohnnycake
Fleet Captain

They could only stay in the house for one season then be off on another adventure for season 2. Keeping them in the house long-term seems pretty impossible if they want the house to maintain a sense of danger.
Old October 10 2011, 10:39 PM   #35
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

AHS gets big bump in DVR ratings.
AHS's added 1.0 million Total Viewers from Live+Same Day to Live+3 (3.2 million to 4.2 million)
Speaking of ad-zapping, I only fleetingly noticed the ads, but are they more calibrated to AHS' content than you'd normally expect? Maybe this week I'll watch all the ads, too.
Old October 11 2011, 05:11 AM   #36
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I finally got around to watching this tonight, and now I really wish I hadn't bothered. This was an awful, awful mess.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2011, 02:03 PM   #37
OsmiumJohnnycake
Fleet Captain

The second episode was a lot less hectic. The editing wasn't as crazy and in a way gave you more of an idea how they might see extending the premise or running the show in general. The main story was in a way a MOTW sort of thing with arc elements worked on a bit.

I have mixed feelings about this because it was a little easier to handle and worked more as a tv show but it felt like it was missing some of what made the first episode so unusual. I guess I sort of like this show so far. I'm not connecting with the characters but it's keeping me entertained.
Old October 15 2011, 07:04 PM   #38
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

This week's ep was too mundane, which made the lack of relatable characters and engaging story more obvious. This show needs its insane gimmicks.
Old October 15 2011, 07:26 PM   #39
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I liked the second episode much more. It was more creepy as opposed to in your face.
Old October 15 2011, 07:33 PM   #40
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

second episode was awesome. I am just currious if the killer in the flash back is still alive?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2011, 04:35 PM   #41
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Okay, consider me intrigued. I love the Jessica Lange character. She's a hoot.
Old October 17 2011, 02:32 AM   #42
Snick27
Captain

Made it about 25 mins in and just awlful and too artisy. Plus the cam shake bothered me too, not sure if anyone else noticed.

Just too boring and just didnt care about the cast.
Old October 20 2011, 04:32 PM   #43
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

I am loving this show... It's got some good scares and creepy characters... Episodes II and III have been more tame on the language and the nudity, which is fine by me. The story really got some good background in last night's show... Really looking forward to how this plays out.
Old October 20 2011, 05:05 PM   #44
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Okay, this is probably my favorite new show. I'm really intrigued by the house's weird, complicated history and thought that the L.A. Murder tour was an ingenious way of (starting to) fill us in on the Murder House's backstory. Here's hoping somebody takes another ride on the bus at some point . . . just so we can get the rest of the story about the crazy mad doctor and his wife.
Old October 20 2011, 11:29 PM   #45
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Maybe word of mouth is kicking in now? Ratings up a bit.

This is a particularly good sign:

In adults 18-34, American Horror Story managed to pull a series high in adults 18-34 (1.25 million), performing especially well among men 18-34.
Everyone is always scrambling to get the young male audience because they're the group that has bailed on TV altogether to the greatest degree.

I'll be back tomorrow - I haven't seen this week's ep yet, I just didn't want to lose track of the ratings.