The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How Would You Grade The Episode?
Awesome 6 25.00%
Above Average 13 54.17%
Average 1 4.17%
Below Average 2 8.33%
Horrible 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 6 2011, 04:48 PM   #16
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy
Re: American Horror Story (FX) 1x01 Pilot (Grading/Discussion)

from my understanding of the pilot:

the original owner of the house was the scared medical doctor who burned and murdered his family. then we have the gay couple who bought the house and ended up dead with murder suicide. and then we have the twins who I believe were the third victims of the house directly.

Now the woman who sold the house to the family is one of the spirts as is the maid and the fucked up kid who is hanging out with the daughter. the neighbors are really fucked up especially the little girl <(who I think is a rip off from the shining.) we all so have the spirt in the black sex gear who was fucking the wife.

now didi I miss any thing and whats not to get. this is going to be simmilar to the shining but more complex.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 08:25 PM   #17
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I don't think the doctor was the original owner. It seems to have been around far longer than him.
Old October 6 2011, 08:46 PM   #18
Tom
Rear Admiral

They said the house was built in about 1920 or so by a Doctor. when did Dennis O'hare's (the burnt guy) character live in the house? i am assuming it was sometime right before the Gay couple.
Old October 7 2011, 03:10 AM   #19
Lookingglassman
Admiral

I was watching this with a white friend and she asked me how come there wasn't any black people on this show and I told her black folks would have moved at the first sign of ghosts and the show would have ended.
Lookingglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2011, 04:58 AM   #20
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Lookingglassman wrote: View Post
I was watching this with a white friend and she asked me how come there wasn't any black people on this show and I told her black folks would have moved at the first sign of ghosts and the show would have ended.
Co-Sign. I wouldn't have even had that crazy boy over at my house. I would have my office somewhere else. I think one of the things that will try my patience if I continue to watch this show is wonder when the heck they are going to wise up and leave. This series might work better as an anthology opposed to focusing on one family.
DarKush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2011, 03:04 PM   #21
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

I haven't watched either, but between the BBC show Bedlam and this, which show do you guys suggest I watch?
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2011, 06:04 PM   #22
lennier1
Commodore

Wanted to give this one a chance but about 20 minutes into the pilot I just couldn't give a damn anymore.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2011, 07:13 PM   #23
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Wow, that was a LOT of fun! It's like they said, let's get a bunch of good actors and have them do some really CRAZY shit. Sure, it's a mess and there's too much ridiculous haunted-house BS. I was laughing more than I was hiding behind a pillow, but laughing means I'm being entertained, right?

Considering how DULL DULL DULL the new TV shows are on broadcast, AHS is a real breath of fresh air, the one new show where I know I won't be bored.

My favorites are Jessica Lange and Evan Peters (I remember spotting him in a nothing role on Invasion and thinking, "that kid really has something, even if he's being wasted here.") But everyone is interesting.

Kudos to the writers for having kid characters who don't make me want to throw the TV out the window every time they come on screen. Terra Nova, take note.

I'm amazed the dog survived the episode. I wonder if the dog's continuing survival will become a running joke?

Though my wife telling me how hot Dylan McDermott was during his nude scenes got a little annoying.
I'm sure we'll all get sick of him wagglin' his butt around and they'll have to stop it. Eventually.

Lookingglassman wrote: View Post

Too true. I wonder how they'll handle the plausibility problem when the ghosts issue become too severe even for white people to ignore.

Maybe something like, Vivien has to keep living in the house or she'll have another miscarriage. Sure, that's stupid but the great thing about this story is, stupidity isn't a fault because it's all pretty stupid already.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2011, 07:32 PM   #24
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
I haven't watched either, but between the BBC show Bedlam and this, which show do you guys suggest I watch?

I am doing both. both are different shows but both are awesome Horror.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2011, 07:48 PM   #25
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

This is the perfect description for the show.

sidious618 wrote: View Post
It was bad but ambitious.
They should use it in ads.
Old October 7 2011, 08:12 PM   #26
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Ratings are good, not spectacular.

Wednesday's 10 p.m. premiere spooked 3.2 million total viewers, according to Nielsen. (Two repeats over the next few hours added nearly 2 million more.)

Those are decent numbers, and FX is understandably depicting them as a big win, with ratings in the 18 to 49 demographic matching "Nip/Tuck" — a previous Murphy hit for FX — and higher than for "Sons of Anarchy," now FX's most-watched show.

But "American Horror Story" drew fewer viewers than a number of previous FX drama premieres, including "Justified" (4.2 million), "Damages" (3.6 million), "The Riches" (3.8 million), "Dirt" (3.7 million), "Over There" (4.1 million) and of course "The Shield" (4.8 million), which remains FX's biggest opener.

The good news for FX is that "Horror" performed much better than two recent bombs, "Terriers" (1.6 million) and "Lights Out" (1.5 million).
But I have a feeling this show will hang onto its audience, being a guilty pleasure and one that is not replicated elsewhere on TV. It may even gain viewers by word of mouth. Anyway, if its demo is higher than SoA's, it should do fine, because SoA isn't going anywhere either.

Look at the Facebook comments below the story. Even people who kinda didn't like it, or thought it was a mess, are interested and will keep watching. It's pretty good when you can lock in viewers who know they shouldn't be watching - that's how reality TV thrives!
Old October 7 2011, 11:20 PM   #27
DarKush
Rear Admiral

^
Those ratings don't look good compared to the other FX shows that failed. Here's seeing if FX will stick by it if the ratings don't improve but stay about the same.
Old October 7 2011, 11:45 PM   #28
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

It's the #1 cable show for its night and it's generating a lot of buzz for FX as being shocking and edgy, which seems like exactly how FX wants to be buzzed about (good for brand building).

I think it's perfectly safe unless the ratings crash.

However, I checked Sons of Anarchy's recent demo, and it is higher - 1.9 vs 1.6 for AHS - (it's also #1 for its night, excluding sports which really doesn't count). FX must be pretty pleased having two shows ranked so high, and both good for their brand.
Old October 8 2011, 01:18 AM   #29
propita
Rear Admiral

ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
Having watched both, if I could watch only one, it'd be "Bedlam." Yeah, it's familiar territory, but it's scary and more comprehensible so far.

As for AHS, the characters are annoying. Yeah, what the wife went through with her pregnancy was bad and it took time to deal with things, but if her husband was really trying (before his affair), then she's going to have to work with him. And I don't necessarily mean have intercourse, but they could have had some physical intimacy. The husband was a damn fool for screwing around and appears to refuse to walk away from situations potentially threatening his marriage (copping a fell on the maid). And having a truly troubled patient IN YOUR HOME?! Idiocy! The daughter is just plain annoying, but then most teens are (at least on tv). Don't like the neighbor or her girl, Adelaide, either. Overall, it's pretty easy to see that I won't be a regular watcher. As both husband and black-suited figure bopped the wife, I suppose wife is pregnant by the mysterious person.

Oh, and I'd be out of that house so fast.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2011, 02:19 AM   #30
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Temis the Bleeding Aorta wrote: View Post
It's the #1 cable show for its night and it's generating a lot of buzz for FX as being shocking and edgy, which seems like exactly how FX wants to be buzzed about (good for brand building).

I think it's perfectly safe unless the ratings crash.

However, I checked Sons of Anarchy's recent demo, and it is higher - 1.9 vs 1.6 for AHS - (it's also #1 for its night, excluding sports which really doesn't count). FX must be pretty pleased having two shows ranked so high, and both good for their brand.
Well, I hope it maintains or perhaps can improve its ratings. I wonder how the ratings will fare for the second episode? I would like to see it hang around long enough to see if it can rein in its excesses and produce something genuinely unsettling.