Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate this episode?
5 Fangs - Couldn't ask for more! 0 0%
4 Fangs 9 81.82%
3 Fangs 1 9.09%
2 Fangs 1 9.09%
1 Fang - Worst episode ever! 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 9 2012, 01:03 AM   #1
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
True Blood 5x05 "Let's Boot and Rally"

Bill and Eric hope Sookie can help them find Russell; Lafayette calls out to Jesus' spirit for help; Patrick and Terry are held hostage; Jason has a disturbing dream; Jessica gives Tara advice; Sam gives Luna some bad news.
Old July 9 2012, 01:00 PM   #2
Beagleman
Captain

Re: True Blood 5x05 "Let's Boot and Rally"

Mostly setup but still alot of fun.
The weekly too-many-plotlines-criticism: I could do without Terry's Balrog or speciest, supes-hunting hicks.
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 03:16 PM   #3
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

^^ While I too have been getting tired of the too many plotlines, I found this week's episode to be damn good, if not best of the season so far... The previews for next week look like we're really going to see some serious stuff go down
Old July 9 2012, 04:21 PM   #4
davejames
Vice Admiral

Haven't seen this one yet, but I gotta say I'm finding this season a LOT more fun than the previous couple. I was very close to giving up on the show after all that boring and tedious crap with the witches, fairies, werepanthers and demons.

Putting the focus much more on vampires again has really made a gigantic difference.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 05:10 PM   #5
stj
Rear Admiral

Marked down to poor for the montage with Christopher Meloni preaching coexistence to the vampire choir.

The ifrit/Iraqi atrocity storyline could actually be dramatic, which would stick out on this show like a dancing cow. Sorry, but it makes the what does the Authority want/what are Nora's true loyalties/who released Russell?/will anyone ever feel the slightest tension over whether Eric and Bill will meet the true death? mess seem trivial, therefore boring.

The counterparallel stories of the shifter lynchers versus Jason's revenge plus the counterparallel stories of Jessica mentoring Tara's coming out versus gay Lafayette's torment by demons of guilt make it perfectly clear that they are seriously trying to go back to the fangs=fags. The internal tension of the vamps really being monsters has already broken that slender reed. There's nothing strong enough to build a serious drama on.

The plots themselves are meandering at this point, but this episode did highlight how thematically unified so many of them are.

Still, Meloni droning on and on while we flitted from scene to scene was just downright painful. I think it was suppposed to be an awesomely thunderous shout out. Didn't work for me.
Old July 9 2012, 05:47 PM   #6
Electric Coleslaw
Rear Admiral

Yeah, Meloni is miscast in this role. There's no sense of menace...unless corporate CEO's scare you.
Old July 9 2012, 07:29 PM   #7
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

Meloni is miscast in basically everything.
Old July 10 2012, 10:34 PM   #8
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

Meloni would be more convincing if he'd get out of the bunker. He has all the menace of Pope Benedict right now.

This is what needs to happen...Lilith. I know I've said it before. They keep talking about her, so I'm going to assume she's still around. She needs to show up and have a little chit-chat (read, kill off) a bunch of characters. Have "our heroes" band together against her like they did last year, and pare down the cast from there. No one except Sookie should be safe. Since Tara isn't that important in the books, I'd just send her off into the night or demote her to a p/time cast member, not a regular. I can think of a few others.

BTW, IMO, Liltith's the one who rescued Russell, and I'm going to speculate it's going to be "Salome" is really her in disguise, playing one side of her brood against the other for some reason. If not, then it's somebody new (yet another new cast member), so it'd better be some damn good stunt casting.

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2012, 11:16 PM   #9
Beagleman
Captain

I think it's a safe bet that Salome freed Russel but I'd rather they keep Lilith mythical. I hated it when they introduced "Originals" on The Vampire Diaries, I like my vampire origins mysterious...
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2012, 11:22 PM   #10
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Crap. It looks like Luna has been killed. I liked her.

I also like the techie girl at the Authority. "Peace out!"
Old July 11 2012, 02:32 AM   #11
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

It took me a while to realize that she's the kid from Waterworld.
Old July 11 2012, 02:53 AM   #12
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, but that's not why we want to make love to her.

For me, it was her time on Veronica Marrs.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2012, 03:31 AM   #13
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I'm still enjoying the season so far, and this episode was another good one. I thought the Terry story turned out much better than I expected. I wasn't sure where it was going at first, but after last week's revelations and now the appearance of the Ifrit it adds a horror feel that perhaps ironically has been missing on a show about vampires.

Perhaps there are too many story lines all running at the same time, but for once, many of them I find interesting. I hope that Luna doesn't die. I was liking her character and her relationship with Sam.

Regarding Meloni, I don't have a problem with him. Though it wouldn't hurt to move the story along a little further. We really haven't seen too many Sanguinistas and I would like to see and hear more from them. It would be nice to see who Roman has in mind to be the new Nan. Is it the reverend?
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2012, 11:39 AM   #14
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Enjoying it far more than the previous 2-3 seasons (season 1 is still the best and most likely will remain so).

However i agree with some here that the cast needs thinning right now.. at least a third could go without an impact on the show i guess, first amongst these is Terry and his problems. While i really like the actor and the character he doesn't really add much to True Blood as he and his family are quite separate from the main cast of Vampires and they rarely intersect.

It's nice to see some other supernatural elements that are not related to Vampires but it's a miniseries and time is very scarce so i'd like them to concentrate on the main plots.

Second would be, and don't kill me , Lafayette. I love the character (maybe my favorite in season 1) but he's become the male Tara of the show.. still human (somehow) but basically a victim for everybody. His sass and attitude from season 1 is mostly gone and he's just pining/in deep sorrow after Jesus and doing weird things with his magic he can't control (he'd be awesome as a true mage/shaman/whatever who goes to kick some ass and restore order to Bon Temps).

Tara is also someone who could go.. she was grating in past seasons when they took the victim aspect to the extreme but after they turned her it's still not the thing since we already have Jessica to explore the angle of what it means to be a newly turned Vampire (however i loved the fight between them at the end of the episode ).

However what i believe is the biggest flaw of the show is the scope.. everything world changing or powerful is apparently concentrated within driving distance of Bon Temps.

The main ruling body of the Vampires, its most powerful (political/physical) subjects, their enemies, basically any variant of supernatural finds its way to that little village. I'd hate to see New York in this world.. you'd maybe not be able to throw a rock without hitting a supernatural.

We now know that there are millions of Vampires around the world (i seem to remember that the chief of the Authority mentioned something like that) but we are still confined in storytelling to the Louisiana territory. I know that part of its charm is the Southern US setting but the show has moved past the books so why not expand occasionally, especially when you introduce the worldwide Vampire government/organization.

Speaking of books.. how close is the show to the books? I have only read the first one and it was pretty close (with the omission of a particular funny and disturbing Vampire.. i'd really have liked to see him ) but have read that with season 2 and 3 they've made some major changes and deviations.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2012, 06:53 PM   #15
stj
Rear Admiral

^^^The show kept the idea that Sookie (but not Jason) is part fairy, and that she goes from Bill to Eric. That the Belefleurs are descendants of Bill. That Sookie kills Debbie Van Pelt. That Crystal was a werepanther (but in the books, Jason does turn into a werepanther.) That one of the waitresses is a Wiccan. And so forth. By now the books and the show are only vaguely related experiences.