The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Greenwood Cast In Truth

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 10 2011, 01:35 PM   #121
Christopher
Writer

Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

^But that's what I'm saying. Discussing possibilities means being aware that there are multiple possibilities and that anything you conjecture may be wrong. All I'm hearing is "I'm certain Alfred will be portrayed like XYZ and there's no way that can work." That's like learning about that exoplanet and insisting right off the bat that it can't possibly be inhabited. That's not discussing the possibilities. It's just preempting them. Discussion in this case doesn't just mean whining about how this version of Alfred can't work. It means exploring the question of how it might work, of the various possibilities that this image could suggest.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2011, 01:42 PM   #122
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Yeah that is what is bothering me with all the knee jerk reactions. People have automatically assumed because we saw a picture that it is exactly what it is implying. No one has said that it isn't unusual or strange. I can understand why purists would be bothered by something that implies a drastic change of character for Alfred. I like to try and be open minded as possible with stuff like this. I think if this discussion is going to consume the thread more that I will probably step out until more information becomes available regarding the series...which I'm guessing could be as soon as NYCC.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2011, 08:11 PM   #123
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Christopher wrote: View Post
^But that's what I'm saying. Discussing possibilities means being aware that there are multiple possibilities and that anything you conjecture may be wrong. All I'm hearing is "I'm certain Alfred will be portrayed like XYZ and there's no way that can work." That's like learning about that exoplanet and insisting right off the bat that it can't possibly be inhabited. That's not discussing the possibilities. It's just preempting them. Discussion in this case doesn't just mean whining about how this version of Alfred can't work. It means exploring the question of how it might work, of the various possibilities that this image could suggest.
No, people are saying that this is what it looks like and it's a bad (or good) idea. People are more upset about the opinions than the picture.
Old October 10 2011, 09:57 PM   #124
Christopher
Writer

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
No, people are saying that this is what it looks like and it's a bad (or good) idea.
And I'm trying to point out that it's premature to make assumptions about what it looks like, for all the reasons I've explained. There are many ways to interpret the fragmentary information we have, not just one.

Old October 10 2011, 10:09 PM   #125
JD
Admiral

Personally, I'm more interested in Katana, and how she relates to the Robins. You'd think if they wanted to do a female sidekick, they would have gone with one of the Batgirls, or even the Stephenie Brown Robin. As for Robin, does the fact that they say Katana isn't replacing him/her mean that we'll possibly be seeing one or more of the Robins in some kind of a supporting or recurring role?
Old October 11 2011, 12:15 AM   #126
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I'm guessing that Robin will appear in a reoccurring supporting role similar to how Dick Grayson would sometimes appear in "Batman: The Animated Series".

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2011, 04:30 AM   #127
Bob Karo
Captain

As far as Alfred carrying a gun, I can think of several ways that could work.

The most obvious to me comes from RL experience. Most personal drivers/pilots/ etc I've met of billionaires also serve at one point or another as body guards. Would Batman have a sidekick blowing away criminals? Not in a version I'd probably watch.

Would Bruce Wayne have the one man always with him while in public equipped to protect himself and others? That's plausible.
Bob Karo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2011, 02:49 PM   #128
Christopher
Writer

^Good point!

Old October 11 2011, 03:04 PM   #129
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

How do we even know that it doesn't fire Sleep pellets or the like?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2011, 04:15 PM   #130
Christopher
Writer

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
How do we even know that it doesn't fire Sleep pellets or the like?
Like I said, since this is a kids' cartoon, it's a given that even if the guns fire bullets, they won't be used to shoot or kill any living beings. Only to shoot out tires, shoot weapons out of people's hands, take out robots and equipment, futilely barrage heavily armored or bulletproof villains, fire hails of bullets into the ground to deter pursuit, stuff like that. There are network rules about these things.

Old October 11 2011, 11:11 PM   #131
RJDementia13

I think you're making premature assumptions.
Old October 12 2011, 01:59 AM   #132
Christopher
Writer

^Yeah, right, "premature." Kids' shows on network television have been subject to restrictions on the depiction of gun violence since I was a child in the '70s. All I'm saying is what should be glaringly obvious to anyone who watches cartoons.

Old October 12 2011, 02:42 AM   #133
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

^Yeah, right, "premature." Kids' shows on network television have been subject to restrictions on the depiction of gun violence since I was a child in the '70s. All I'm saying is what should be glaringly obvious to anyone who watches cartoons.

That's true, Christopher, but rules can be relaxed. Anyone remember the TAS episode where Commissioner Gordon was shot and teetering on the brink of death.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2011, 09:27 AM   #134
RJDementia13

Relax. My point is that it's okay to say more than "Acknowledged" when somebody posts a bit of news.
Old March 29 2012, 10:00 PM   #135
ToddKent
Captain

View ToddKent's Twitter Profile

Here's the link to the announcement and other CN upfront news:

http://www.comicsbeat.com/2012/03/29...etwork-lineup/

Seems like they are trying to do something new with Katana as the sidekick and using villains like Anarky & Magpie.

I could probably be up for that I guess. Any hopes for a crossover between this CGI show and the CGI Green Lantern?
ToddKent is offline   Reply With Quote