Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 22 2013, 11:52 PM   #436
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

Yeah I thought the second episode was really good as well. Magpie made for a pretty good villain (and didn't seem any more overtly sexy to me than the girls on BTAS), and it was fun seeing Batman do actual detective work.

If I have any complaint it's that Bruce just seems a little too grim and serious so far. It's be nice to see him lighten up a little bit, at least to provide some kind of contrast with his Batman persona.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 01:00 AM   #437
Christopher
Writer

davejames wrote: View Post
Magpie made for a pretty good villain (and didn't seem any more overtly sexy to me than the girls on BTAS)
As I said, it's not about sexy vs. not-sexy, but about the execution of the sexiness. Poison Ivy aside, most of B:TAS's femmes fatales were dressed in garb that was skintight and somewhat fetishistic but not very skin-baring at all. Catwoman and Harley were fully covered except for their faces. Red Claw had one bared arm and shoulder. Talia wore a full jumpsuit with just a bit of decolletage. Calendar Girl wore skintight dresses and leggings and full-face masks, covering everything but her hair. Roxy Rocket wore a moderately low-cut top under a bomber jacket, but aside from that bit of cleavage, she was pretty well-covered and quite practically attired for her modus operandi. Discounting Francine Langstrom (whose clothes were torn by her transformation and magically mended when she changed back), the only villainess I can think of in B:TAS/TNBA who was really scantily clad was Emmylou Brown in "Critters," who wore a midriff-baring cutoff blouse and Daisy Dukes -- but at least that looked practical rather than something you'd see on a strip-club stage. Ivy's strapless one-piece bathing suit and leggings were the only B:TAS villainess outfit with wardrobe-malfunction potential, but since she was generally presented as a less physical opponent, and one whose primary MO was as a seductress, that made sense.

And at least Ivy's outfit had a certain elegance and subtlety to it, certainly a lot more than Magpie's.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 11:55 PM   #438
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Just finished the second episode. Shockingly good show so far. I was not a fan of Magpie's outfit at all but other than that this show is firing on all cylinders. It's early but I'd say it's as good as TAS.
Old July 24 2013, 12:44 AM   #439
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah the tone is much closer to BTAS than I was expecting. I figured it was just going to be another simple, action-packed kids show or something.

Say what you will about their movies, but Warners definitely seems to have a handle on how to do cartoons right.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 12:54 AM   #440
Mr Light
Admiral

I was *really* a fan of Magpie's outfit

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 04:57 AM   #441
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Well let's compare - here's Magpie's original mid 80s look that she had in Man of Steel - I think Issue 3 or 4 when Byrne's rebooted Superman met Batman for the first time

This is her BtB look

Looks a tad more fetish-istic buuuuut given what the original looked like - kinda same lines save for the weird hair - although she looks far closer to a wannabe Lady Deathstrike than Magpie who's trick was sticking dynamite in her goon's mouths. When she gets... weird

Old July 24 2013, 01:43 PM   #442
Christopher
Writer

^It was issue 3. Oh, and that triple-mohawk hairstyle turns out to be a wig, which Superman pulls off to reveal a full head of medium-short, wavy blond hair -- but the removed wig isn't drawn with any indication that it's attached to a bald cap. It doesn't really make a lot of sense, so I certainly don't object to the revised wig here.

And the original Magpie's repertoire did include the long, poison-tipped finger spikes, or at least one of them. What's omitted from the above excerpt is that she used one to paralyze the henchman before playing "Happy Birthday" with him.

Old July 24 2013, 05:14 PM   #443
Christopher
Writer

Here's an interview with the BtB producers and stars, explaining a lot of the reasoning behind the show's creative choices:

http://comicsalliance.com/beware-the...ews-sdcc-2013/

Note that Mitch Watson is wearing a Miskatonic t-shirt. As if there were any doubt that he's a Lovecraft fan.

Apparently the reason for going with Katana is that "they didn’t want us to do Robin at the moment." I assume that means Cartoon Network. Maybe that's because Teen Titans Go! features Robin and they don't want to duplicate him.

And they're going to be building up to something with Barbara Gordon, but it's not what everyone's guessing online. I assume everyone's guessing she'll become Batgirl -- so is it possible they'll be skipping that and going straight to Oracle? That could be intriguing, although a teenage Oracle has the potential to be a bit cliched.

And each episode takes up to a year to complete. Wow. If it's that difficult, I'm surprised the networks are willing to do 3D-animated shows.

And Len Wein will be writing for the show, as well as Greg Weisman!

Also, Lady Shiva will be one of the villains. That's got potential. She was kind of a major antagonist/ally for a while, certainly playing a key role in Tim Drake's backstory. As I recall, she's just about the world's greatest martial artist and one of both Batman and Tim/Robin's principal trainers, but she's in a moral gray area and works with villains too.

I'm intrigued by what Ruivivar (I'm finally spelling his name right) has to say about Bruce/Batman dealing with the duality, compartmentalizing his two selves and the toll that takes on him.

Old July 24 2013, 05:52 PM   #444
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

A year?! How long have they been working on this series, then?
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 05:58 PM   #445
Christopher
Writer

^Since The Brave and the Bold ended in late 2011, at least. As the article says, they typically have five episodes in production at any one time, overlapping.

What worries me is that with such lead time, the show would have to get a renewal order very early in the airing of one season in order to get the next season on the air in a timely fashion. Certainly BtB has made an impressive debut, so I don't think we have to worry much, but I hope the renewal comes soon enough that we don't have to wait until something like late 2014 for the second season.

Old July 24 2013, 07:02 PM   #446
sojourner
Admiral

I imagine as with Young Justice, we'll get two seasons and if toy sales don't catch on we won't get a third.
Old July 24 2013, 07:15 PM   #447
kirk55555
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Here's an interview with the BtB producers and stars, explaining a lot of the reasoning behind the show's creative choices:

http://comicsalliance.com/beware-the...ews-sdcc-2013/
That was an...interesting article. I really wouldn't call BTB "cinematic", unless cinematic means average CG cartoon (I've never been impressed by a cgi cartoon, but even SW: The Clone wars looks better than BTB). Also, this quote (from Glen Murakami) was hilarious

You kind of have to try to figure out how to make Professor Pyg iconic and narrow him down.
Professor Pyg is about as iconic as Polka Dot man, and not nearly as funny an idea. As for the barbara Gordon stuff, I'm guessing she'll be a supervillain. I already said that, but if she's not batgirl, and these guys want to do the exact opposite of all the good batman shows, I'm betting they make her a villain. This quote (from Mitch Watson) was almost as funny as the first quote, but for different reasons

but when I started I was coming at it from the point of view of an everyday fan. That’s what they wanted, because they want a show that’s going to appeal to both the fans and to everyday people.
I doubt appealing to Batman fans ever crossed anyone's minds, and if Watson really considers himself a Batman fan, i'd hate to see what he'd do to Batman if he hated him I don't know what to think about them. They don't seem like bad guys, they're just not very good at making a Batman show. That's not a crime, its just unfortunate that they're the ones who get to make the show. This interview did not fill me with confidence. I do believe they like what they're doing, I just don't think that they want to do Batman, so they're not. They're doing their own hero and just using the names and one or two somewhat similar elements from a popular DC hero. I was hoping the show would increase in quality as it went on, going from passable to something good or even great. After this interview, that seems less likely. I'll keep watching and hope for a miracle. Right now its atleast better than the first two seasons of The Batman (not that it takes much effort to be better than that) and its definately watchable, unlike TT Go!, but its done nothing to impress me or be anything other than just another superhero show.

So far, its had the generic eco terrorist (except without any real motivation or backstory) and mentally unhinged villain cliches. They weren't bad, but they have been done a lot better (and Poison Ivy/Two Face fit the roles better than Pyg/Magpie). I guess they want new villains, but not unique stories to go with them. I'd complain less if the stories/villains were actually doing something different/better than normal Batman stuff. But, the main stories of these episodes have just been generic Batman villain stories. The only changes are in some of the b-plots, and action hero alfred/fake Katana are not improvements. If they want to be "unique", they could atleast not make episodes intended for the bigger villains and then just shoehorn in badly redesigned z-list villains.

Also, I'm not too excited about seeing Lady Shiva. She was interesting in the comics, so that means they'll do the exact opposite. She'll probably be an alien from an obscure alien planet that appeared in one comic back in the silver age. Or maybe she'll be martha wayne in disguise, raised from the dead. Those two scenario's are obviously just me being an ass, she'll most likely just be a very generic martial arts villain. They could atleast stick to lesser known villains I don't like.

Maybe the show will start to convince me its not just something different, but something good enough to exist. I want to be convinced. I'll keep watching. Worst case scenario, I spend 20-22 minutes every week being somewhat entertained by a forgettable show. I hope it becomes more than that.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 07:50 PM   #448
Pavonis
Commodore

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I doubt appealing to Batman fans ever crossed anyone's minds, and if Watson really considers himself a Batman fan, i'd hate to see what he'd do to Batman if he hated him
You're still stuck on this idea that you're the only type of Batman fan that can be targeted and to which the show should appeal. The show must appeal to casual fans like me, not rabid fans like you, else the intended audience would be too small to bother making the show.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 07:55 PM   #449
kirk55555
Commodore

I get that, but if B:TAS, Batman: Brave and the Bold and even seasons 3-5 of The Batman can appeal to me, I'm not that hard to please. I'm not saying i'm the only kind of fan, I just don't think making a show that is almost nothing like batman is really meant to appeal to Batman fans. Kind of like how Teen titans Go! in no way appeals to fans of the old Teen Titans show.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 08:01 PM   #450
Pavonis
Commodore

The fan base won't grow if changes aren't tried. It's show business, and businesses must grow to make money. You don't like BtB, fine, so one viewer is lost, but if 50 people who wouldn't have watched B:TAS watch BtB, then there's still net growth of the audience.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote