New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 19 2012, 10:09 PM   #166
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

^^^
It was meant to sound like a serious complaint. Not sure what emoticon might've helped convey that better, sorry. I'm used to how these things roll...especially on the animated front.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 10:22 PM   #167
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
but *sigh* Tim Drake was never Robin now
Actually he still was Robin at some point.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 11:31 PM   #168
davejames
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
The villains will be broader and more fanciful than the relatively grounded heroes. They're all comics characters that haven't been seen in animation before, including Anarky, Magpie, an obscure Golden Age villain named Cipher, and Grant Morrison's Pyg and Toad. Some of the characters are reworked/reinvented for the show, particularly a less gruesome version of Pyg and Toad. Toad is played by Udo Kier. Anarky will be the "Moriarty" to Batman's Holmes, a mastermind and manipulator (so he's probably rather altered from the comics' version of the character).
I really like this idea. Because as awesome as Joker, Two-Face, and the rest are, we've seen Batman face off against them so many times by now that it's started to feel a bit tired and routine.

It'll be nice to have some villains where you can't predict every move they make for once.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 11:36 PM   #169
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I'm all for them expanding the rogues gallery if they think they can revitalize a weak villain like TAS did with Mr. Freeze in "Heart of Ice", but to actively avoid using the main rogues gallery seems like a mistake. They're popular because they are so very effective as villains.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2012, 11:39 PM   #170
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Heh, "Anarky", it's funny how characters you didn't grow up with sound goofy when you view them as an adult. Hopefully he's cooler than he sounds though I'd have probably found such a character bitchin' in the 80s.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 12:13 AM   #171
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Heh, "Anarky", it's funny how characters you didn't grow up with sound goofy when you view them as an adult. Hopefully he's cooler than he sounds though I'd have probably found such a character bitchin' in the 80s.
He debuted in 1989, so you must have just missed him.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 12:20 AM   #172
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
I'm all for them expanding the rogues gallery if they think they can revitalize a weak villain like TAS did with Mr. Freeze in "Heart of Ice", but to actively avoid using the main rogues gallery seems like a mistake. They're popular because they are so very effective as villains.
I think the writers see potential with these villains as the next Freeze. Anarky and Pyg especially imo were created with the potential to be the next Joker/Two-Face/Ra's, but with their potential never readily utilized.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 12:28 AM   #173
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

How about giving us a Killer Croc that goes back to his roots as an upstart gangster instead of the monster he has been turned into over the last couple decades? He was the proto-Bane when he was introduced. A cunning and patient mind in the body of a monster, constantly treated by others like he was only good for violence. Then somewhere along the way everyone forgot that part of him and just wanted to make him a monster.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Old July 20 2012, 12:32 AM   #174
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Because he works better as a monster.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 01:47 AM   #175
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

But there are so many other similar monsters in comics. Being a gangster made him unique.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 09:22 AM   #176
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

After just seeing a commercial for the next Batman movie, an emphasis on detective work sounds especially good.
Old July 20 2012, 10:17 AM   #177
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

using Anarky is good. i'd like for KGBeast to show up as well.
Old July 20 2012, 11:48 AM   #178
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I'm looking forward to this still, and seeing the newer villains, especially Pyg and Toad. I don't think it was reported in the link that Christopher posted, but something else that came out from last weekend is that the Joker reportedly will not be used in this series.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 12:12 PM   #179
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

I imagine it is more of a "no plans to use the character." rather than a "we will not use the character."
Old July 20 2012, 12:52 PM   #180
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I got the sense that he won't appear at all. They also stated that Penguin and Riddler won't be in the show either. They want to give this series a completely different feel and look, which is why I assume we're getting newer villains and characters that we've never really seen before in an animated Batman series.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote