RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,566
Posts: 5,514,224
Members: 25,147
Currently online: 513
Newest member: Wolfspaw

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 28 2014, 08:02 PM   #1
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral
 
DarthPipes's Avatar
 
Star Wars The Clone Wars Legacy

My apologies if this was posted earlier but the official Star Wars website offered up The Clone Wars Legacy, a section which tells us about unaired Clone Wars stories being adapted in other forms. Some of them are already known like the Darth Maul Son of Dathomir comic Dark Horse published this year and the upcoming Dark Disciple novel that will be published in 2015.

The most exciting element though is an unfinished Clone Wars serial taking place on Utapau. Since the animation is unfinished, it's presented in a cruder but not unwatchable form. But it includes full voice work, sound effects, and score. It features some GREAT interaction between Anakin and Obi-Wan. That includes the two of them finally acknowledging Ahsoka's depature. James Hong of Blade Runner fame also features as a guest voice. The serial is excellent and I only hope they allow Filoni and company to finish it one day.

http://www.starwars.com/tv-shows/the-clone-wars-legacy
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2014, 08:55 PM   #2
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Legacy

Yeah, I really enjoyed these, even in an unfinished state. Nothing as plot heavy or significant as the Order 66 or Yoda episodes we got with 'Lost Missions', but it was a solid Star Wars adventure throughout, which made the implied Death Star foreshadowing all the more surprising.

The idea that the weapon that the weapon that vaporised Alderaan was based on lightsabre technology was oddly chilling. Add to that the idea that such similarly terrible super-weapons have existed in the past and suddenly the two Death Stars gain some context they'd previously lacked. It also helps to explain how easily Kenobi accepted that Alderaan had been destroyed by the Empire, where Solo's initial reaction was disbelief. he knew the technology was out there and that Sidious was actively searching for more crystals. One little touch I was hoping they'd do but never did was; what if Kenobi had kept a shard of that crystal and that is the one Luke would later use in building his lightsabre? A bit of a stretch perhaps, but I think it would have been cool.

The Anakin/Obi Wan banter was some of the best out of the whole series and I found it quite telling how Anakin feels like Ahsoka let *him* down by leaving, not so much the other way around. Contrast this with Kenobi's words to Anakin in RotS: "I've failed you Anakin..." It's something the show really excelled at where the movies sadly failed. They managed to keep Anakin a charming, likeable character but still clearly possessed of all the flaws and weaknesses that'd eventually lead to his fall.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2014, 09:09 PM   #3
Stephen!
Captain
 
Stephen!'s Avatar
 
Location: England
Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Legacy

Reverend wrote: View Post
The idea that the weapon that the weapon that vaporised Alderaan was based on lightsabre technology was oddly chilling.
Sort of like the recreated Death Star super laser in the "Darksaber" novel being a giant lightsaber hilt ....
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2014, 09:21 PM   #4
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Legacy

Stephen! wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
The idea that the weapon that the weapon that vaporised Alderaan was based on lightsabre technology was oddly chilling.
Sort of like the recreated Death Star super laser in the "Darksaber" novel being a giant lightsaber hilt ....
Yeah, except not being stupid.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2014, 11:13 PM   #5
Doctorwhovian
Commander
 
Doctorwhovian's Avatar
 
Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Legacy

So are these canon like the rest of the series? It'd be nice to have a streamlined Death Star origin for once (The "Legends" EU kind of made a mess of things especially since AOTC and ROTS contradicted it so much). Wonder if that will be worked into the new EU Tarkin novel.
Doctorwhovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2014, 01:01 AM   #6
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Legacy

I'm looking forward to sitting down and watching this, but it is a little hard to get worked up about animatics. I am deeply grateful they're putting this out there though!
__________________

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2014, 04:03 AM   #7
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Legacy

It's the story and performances that matter most to me. Think of it as illustrated radio.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2014, 04:03 AM   #8
Nightowl1701
Captain
 
Location: Orlando, FL
Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Legacy

Doctorwhovian wrote: View Post
So are these canon like the rest of the series? It'd be nice to have a streamlined Death Star origin for once (The "Legends" EU kind of made a mess of things especially since AOTC and ROTS contradicted it so much). Wonder if that will be worked into the new EU Tarkin novel.
Yeah, they made it explicitly clear that this (along with the Darth Maul comic and the upcoming Ventress/Quinlan Vos novel) is fully canon, as much as if it had actually aired.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2014, 07:28 AM   #9
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Legacy

^At least as far as the CW/SWR production crew is concerned. Not sure what Lucasfilm's official position is.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2014, 09:55 PM   #10
Masiral
Captain
 
Location: I'm here. Where are you?
Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Legacy

Reverend wrote: View Post
^At least as far as the CW/SWR production crew is concerned. Not sure what Lucasfilm's official position is.
That is the official position - The Clone Wars Legacy is canon.
Masiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2014, 09:58 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Legacy

I can't get the videos from that site to play smoothly on either of my browsers (Opera or Firefox). Do I need some kind of plug-in I don't have?

(I'm having problems with Internet videos in general lately. I tried defragmenting and cleaning up my hard disk to add more space, but it's still not helping. I'm starting to think I just need a new computer. Or maybe I could try watching on my phone and paying the extra data charge for the month if necessary.)
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2014, 10:06 PM   #12
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral
 
Dimesdan's Avatar
 
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Legacy

Christopher wrote: View Post
Or maybe I could try watching on my phone and paying the extra data charge for the month if necessary.)
Why would you do that? Is your phone not tethered to your wireless home network?

And it may very well be your internet connection, or a browser issue, no real reason it should be a hardware issue if you're having problems watching videos online.
__________________
People in third world countries are so lucky they don't have to deal with these problems. - TheGodBen

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2014, 11:57 PM   #13
Stephen!
Captain
 
Stephen!'s Avatar
 
Location: England
Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Legacy

Christopher wrote: View Post
I can't get the videos from that site to play smoothly on either of my browsers
This might help then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnH1JKr4o_8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg4FoXJQE08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXCcYMNC4wQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZrsVx1dpEQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAe5Ogs6a-c
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2014, 12:39 AM   #14
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Legacy

Stephen! wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
I can't get the videos from that site to play smoothly on either of my browsers
This might help then.
Thanks -- I don't have time tonight to watch the Utapau episodes, but the preview played okay.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2014, 12:45 AM   #15
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral
 
DarthPipes's Avatar
 
Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Legacy

Reverend wrote: View Post
Yeah, I really enjoyed these, even in an unfinished state. Nothing as plot heavy or significant as the Order 66 or Yoda episodes we got with 'Lost Missions', but it was a solid Star Wars adventure throughout, which made the implied Death Star foreshadowing all the more surprising.

The idea that the weapon that the weapon that vaporised Alderaan was based on lightsabre technology was oddly chilling. Add to that the idea that such similarly terrible super-weapons have existed in the past and suddenly the two Death Stars gain some context they'd previously lacked. It also helps to explain how easily Kenobi accepted that Alderaan had been destroyed by the Empire, where Solo's initial reaction was disbelief. he knew the technology was out there and that Sidious was actively searching for more crystals. One little touch I was hoping they'd do but never did was; what if Kenobi had kept a shard of that crystal and that is the one Luke would later use in building his lightsabre? A bit of a stretch perhaps, but I think it would have been cool.

The Anakin/Obi Wan banter was some of the best out of the whole series and I found it quite telling how Anakin feels like Ahsoka let *him* down by leaving, not so much the other way around. Contrast this with Kenobi's words to Anakin in RotS: "I've failed you Anakin..." It's something the show really excelled at where the movies sadly failed. They managed to keep Anakin a charming, likeable character but still clearly possessed of all the flaws and weaknesses that'd eventually lead to his fall.
Yeah, Anakin's views on Ahsoka were surprising but it does fit with a man who is not good with losing people he cares about. Ahsoka was the first one to "leave him" voluntarily. I'm curious how that would have resolved itself. Based on concept art shown on the official site, Ahsoka would have ended up involved in the Mandlore situation with Katee Sackhoff's character. One art piece had Ahsoka contacting the Jedi Council via hologram.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.