USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 19 2012, 06:49 PM   #76
Nick M
Lieutenant

View Nick M's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Nick M
Re: Star Trek: Typhon Pact: The Struggle Within (ebook) review thread

elaithin wrote: View Post
I rather enjoyed it - and despite comments to the contrary, I think the short form suited this particular story well. It was very nice to see how the Typhon Pact is changing it's own members, and the character progression for Jasminder and T'Ryssa both was excellently done.

Back to the length - this story felt more like a single episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation than anything I've read in a long time. And that's not a minus.
I agree. I was telling a friend that the novels are such a large canvas, and the stories are, well, a lot of them epic in scope. I said I really enjoyed this because it had the feel of a single episode in a series, and in the best possible way. Well done Mr. Bennett.
Nick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2012, 07:01 PM   #77
Nick M
Lieutenant

View Nick M's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Nick M

Christopher wrote: View Post
That's the editor's job to keep track of. But as far as I know, the next person writing Picard/TNG is Dave Mack, and he and I tend to compare notes on our Trek projects pretty regularly. In fact, I daresay I was pretty much following his lead from Destiny when it came to exploring how parenthood has changed Picard.
I am going to be discussing "The Struggle Within" this week (Jan. 22) on The G and T Show, in case you want to listen in. It airs at 9 a.m. EST/6 a.m. PST. at http://www.livestream.com/cerberusfilms

I'll be talking about it's place in the Typhon Pact series, some views on the characterizations and some other thoughts.

All the best,
Nick
@Gettysburg7
http://www.gandtshow.com
Nick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 10:00 PM   #78
Fer
Commander

Really enjoyed it! The shorter format and the A& B plots focusing on different characters made it feel very much like a modern day TV episode of Next Gen. Great job! I'd love to see more ebooks like this one.
Old June 6 2012, 12:14 AM   #79
BrentMc
Lieutenant Commander

I would read this, but I do not want to pay $6 for such a short eBook. My local library doesn't have it either. I was hoping they would print it at the end of one of the next Typhon pact paperbacks. Maybe if an ebook seller has a coupon one of these days I will get it. Did anyone find a discount on this short story?
BrentMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 12:31 AM   #80
BrentMc
Lieutenant Commander

I sometimes get Barnes and noble coupons in email. Has anyone here used a coupon on an ebook?
Old June 6 2012, 01:07 AM   #81
JD
Admiral

It's 100p so that makes it a novella, not a short story. I don't know any of the word counts though, so I don't know how far over the short story count it is.
Old June 6 2012, 01:28 AM   #82
ATimson
Rear Admiral

BrentMc wrote: View Post
Maybe if an ebook seller has a coupon one of these days I will get it. Did anyone find a discount on this short story?
Simon and Schuster forbids retailers from allowing discounts on their ebook titles.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 01:41 AM   #83
BrentMc
Lieutenant Commander

ATimson wrote: View Post
BrentMc wrote: View Post
Maybe if an ebook seller has a coupon one of these days I will get it. Did anyone find a discount on this short story?
Simon and Schuster forbids retailers from allowing discounts on their ebook titles.
Wow, as if I needed another reason to not like eBooks. I am already upset at my inability to buy them used, or sell my read eBooks like you can with hard copy. Now I can't use a coupon? I thought maybe one of the coupons Barnes and Noble emails me might work with eBooks. I just bought 4 Star Trek novels on amazon with the 4 for 3 promotion, so they came out to be about $6 a piece for a full, paperback novel. I do not want to pay $6 for a novella length eBook.

This is not an attack on CLB. I like talking to him here and I enjoy his work. I just don't think the pricing is reasonable.

I own a nook mostly for free ebooks and library e-lending. I like it OK, but I don't see much incentive for me to buy eBooks.
Old June 6 2012, 02:36 AM   #84
Christopher
Writer

JD wrote: View Post
It's 100p so that makes it a novella, not a short story. I don't know any of the word counts though, so I don't know how far over the short story count it is.
The Struggle Within is about 25,000 words. Short stories are up to 7500 words, novelettes 7500-17,500, novellas 17,500-40,000, novels 40K-up.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 02:42 AM   #85
BrentMc
Lieutenant Commander

JD wrote: View Post
The Struggle Within is about 25,000 words. Short stories are up to 7500 words, novelettes 7500-17,500, novellas 17,500-40,000, novels 40K-up.
I meant nothing buy calling it a short story. I referred to it as a novella in subsequent posts. Again my comments have not been an attack on you. I would not be upset if I did not want to read it.
Old June 6 2012, 03:03 AM   #86
Christopher
Writer

When did I say I felt attacked? I was just answering JD's question about word counts.

Old June 6 2012, 04:34 AM   #87
BrentMc
Lieutenant Commander

When did I say I felt attacked? I was just answering JD's question about word counts.
Were cool. I just wanted to make it clear that while stating my frustration about eBooks I was not trying to diminish your novella by calling it a short story.
Old June 6 2012, 01:07 PM   #88
Christopher
Writer

Nothing wrong with short stories. It's a common misunderstanding, but there's no reason to see it as a value judgment.

Old June 6 2012, 05:15 PM   #89
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

I've heard that this title is quite good, but I don't have an eReader and have yet to make the switch to the electronic format. I still enjoy reading in dead tree format. I'd love for Pocket to maybe do a couple of other Typhon Pact novellas, and then release an omnibus in paperback.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 06:23 PM   #90
Christopher
Writer

^If you have a computer, then you have an e-book reader. Reader software/"apps" can be downloaded for free wherever e-books are sold.

And it doesn't have to be a "switch" -- it's not like you have to give up paper books when you get an e-book reader. Heck, I have half the Strange New Worlds series in trade paperback and the other half as e-books on my computer.