Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 24 2011, 11:19 PM   #16
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Ghostbusters Comic Book

I'm thinking IDW doesn't have the likeness rights and has decided to do caricatures instead. Sort of a fusing of their movie and animated likenesses.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2011, 04:23 AM   #17
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I'm thinking IDW doesn't have the likeness rights and has decided to do caricatures instead. Sort of a fusing of their movie and animated likenesses.
I don't doubt your post at all, but it seems so weird to approve the comic and the franchise yet not approve of the likeness rights (again, like you pointed out, it's basically like the cartoon v2.0).
Old January 14 2012, 04:33 AM   #18
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Have we given up on this book? Preview for issue five, comes out on Wed.

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multime....php?aid=45356

Old January 14 2012, 04:44 AM   #19
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Aren't the characters supposed to be based on how they looked in the video game? This whole comic is based off of the game-verse.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2012, 05:02 AM   #20
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

The comic seems to be an extension of the video game verse which itself is an extension of the original movies (seeming more the first than the second.)

I've not given up on the book yet, still find it quite enjoyable.

The conclusion of the arc with Ray and Gozer trying to get him to select The Destructor was a good one.
Old January 14 2012, 05:10 AM   #21
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i've not gave up on this book. its a lot of fun, though i haven't played the video game that came out a few years ago.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2012, 05:17 AM   #22
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Actually as I look at those pages of the book, and consider what happened in the previous book, it seems this book takes place between the movies and the video game.

In the video game the Ghostbusters are already a paid city service, in the comics this just happened with the previous issue. In the game Slimer is already recaptured and inside a viewable containment unit in the firehouse garage/"lobby." In the comics Slimer was just re-captured in the second issue. (The game starts off with him captured, but needing to be re-captured at the Sedgwick hotel following a containment malfunction.)

But also in the comic Peter made an off-handed comment about a recent "rookie" (the name of the PC in the video game). Though in the video game Peter, and the other Ghostbusters, make suggestions that they've gone through other rookies and new recruits recently.

So it seems that the comic, mostly, must take place between the movies and the video game, if only for the reveal at the end with Peck being installed is over-seeing the Ghostbuster's operations for the city. (Where he's already at during the start of the game.)
Old January 14 2012, 05:27 AM   #23
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Excellent points Trekker. The art hasn't bothered me as it has others...and compared to the other mini's and one shots the writing and stories have been decent.

Old January 14 2012, 05:46 AM   #24
Anwar
Vice Admiral

I think that the comic takes place after the game, not before. The GBs are already acquainted with Peck as the head of the Oversight department in the normal comic story, it's only in the second "Paranormal Files" stories do we see how it happened. It's his "origin" story pretty much.

Also, we have those guys playing pool who talk about how the GBs have been a franchise for a while and they want to get in on it. That doesn't sound like they just got turned into a paid-for-by-the-city service.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2012, 06:24 AM   #25
Saul
Rear Admiral

Seems to have it's heart in the right place but the artwork is horrible. I love the old marvel comics that had artwork based on the animation. Them were good days.
Old January 21 2012, 03:54 AM   #26
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

I got issue #5 (?) today. Pretty good issue over all, I really think the chemistry being built between "the big four" is working out very well as well as the relationship between the four and Walter Peck -overseeing their operations as a city service. We also get show that "Ray's Occult" book store still exists in this universe.

As for the action/actual plot of the issue it's a bit light but it's the opening issue for the newest arc, but the highlight of this book is really how the Ghostbusters play off one another.

Will agree that the artwork in the book could stand to be better, ideally more like the realistic looks on the alternate covers, but I suppose they'd have to pay the actors for that. I still wish the artwork in the book was a bit more realistic and not as cartoon-like.
Old January 21 2012, 04:07 AM   #27
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I agree with your review of the issue. I loved the interaction between Peck and the Ghostbusters. Some of the dialogue I have an issue with, but it's mainly nitpicky stuff. How Peter addresses Egon at the start of the issue...but otherwise this has been enjoyable. Kind of digging Peck's files at the end of each issue. "Extra feature" content like this, I'm a sucker for this type of stuff.

Old January 21 2012, 04:19 AM   #28
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Ugh, don't make me go grab this issue out of it's box. How does Peter address Egon in the issue that you didn't like?

I did like how on the plane that Egon and Ray were working together doing research and stuff (true to their characters) and Peter and Winston were a couple rows back pretty much chit-chatting. (Peter, though he has a doctorate, rarely takes part in the science-talk and, of course, Winston doesn't have a doctorate and is pretty much the Joe Everyman. It was fun to see them talking to one another as Egon and Ray geeked out in the front of the plane.)

I sort-of wonder if Egon being recognized and seen a celebrity on the streets will lead to anything.
Old January 21 2012, 04:26 AM   #29
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Well Egon did admit that was an experiment didn't he? Peter calling Egon stupid pet names that he probably wouldn't if it was actually Bill talking bugged me, or even in the cartoon. I'll have to look back at the issue to find examples, too tired now to explain what I mean.

Yeah...I think Peter plays dumb most of the time, we rarely get to see if he actually does understand but he's mostly the comedic fodder and POV character, while Winston is the layman (basically us). I'd like for once to Peter to show his smarts.

Old January 21 2012, 04:41 AM   #30
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

I think in the movie Peter had "pet names" for Egon and, in fact, we see Peter has the type of friendship with Egon where Peter can make fun of Egon. Peter having a "pet name" for Egon seems to fit with his character.