RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,668
Members: 24,821
Currently online: 421
Newest member: SB118_Laxyn

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 30 2013, 12:42 AM   #721
Christopher
Writer

Re: TCM Genre movies schedule...

The current mid-cliffhanger storyline on Grimm involves voodoo/obeah zombies.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 01:34 AM   #722
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Klaus wrote: View Post
The Pit And The Pendulum and The Masque Of The Red Death are Vincent Price versions of Poe stories.
As are House of Usher, The Raven, and Tomb of Ligeia.

The Haunted Palace and The Conqueror Worm, not so much, although they both star Price as well.
Old September 30 2013, 09:32 AM   #723
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Aw, but I want to see Voodoo zombies. It's been a long time.
This is true. They are sadly neglected these days.

Was Plague of Zombies the last "voodoo zombie" feature film? I recall a 1970s TV-movie, The Dead Don't Die, that involved traditional zombies, as well as an episode of Kolchak:The Night Stalker, but flesh-eating Romero zombies have pretty much taken over since then.

Edit: Oops, I forgot about The Serpent and the Rainbow, which probably counts as a voodoo zombie movie. There was also talk of remaking White Zombie a few years back, but they ran afoul of legal problems. (Apparently the original movie in is public domain, but not one of the books that inspired it!)
I barely remember Serpent and the Rainbow, but pretty much everything since Dawn of the Dead has been Romero Zombies. The only exception I can think of off hand would be various episodes of Tales From The Crypt. And possibly Tales From The Darkside.
Old September 30 2013, 04:41 PM   #724
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
The current mid-cliffhanger storyline on Grimm involves voodoo/obeah zombies.
You're right. I completely forgot that!
Old September 30 2013, 10:41 PM   #725
RJDiogenes

What's the premise of Grimm? Is it really supernatural, or is it more of a mutant or sub-species kind of thing?
Old September 30 2013, 11:01 PM   #726
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
What's the premise of Grimm? Is it really supernatural, or is it more of a mutant or sub-species kind of thing?
A little of both. There are sub-species of shape-changing beast-people, but there are also witches who can cast spells and curses. And we've seen at least one ghost . . . in a Halloween ep, natch.

Edit: It dawns on me that most of the "spells" involve potions of some sort, so there's a bit of wiggle room there.
Old September 30 2013, 11:41 PM   #727
Christopher
Writer

The Wesen are different subspecies, but many of them have powers that are undoubtedly magical or supernatural, and all of them have a kind of magical glamour that lets them pass as human. When they show their monster faces, normally only Grimms have the power to see their true forms. (They don't appear inhuman most of the time, because that would be expensive.) I'm pretty sure their true appearance doesn't show up on film or video either, so that's definitely supernatural.

Old October 1 2013, 09:30 AM   #728
RJDiogenes

So the zombies are literally animated corpses, or is there another explanation?
Old October 1 2013, 01:45 PM   #729
Christopher
Writer

^As I already said, the current Grimm storyline involves traditional voodoo-style zombies, which are not really "walking dead" (except fictionally) but people put in drug-induced suspended animation resembling death only to awaken in an obedient trance state.

Old October 1 2013, 06:19 PM   #730
cylkoth
Commodore

I'm pretty sure their true appearance doesn't show up on film or video either, so that's definitely supernatural.

Not to further the Grimmification of the thread but...

Their true appearance can indeed be caught on film/video. Last season, a group of Wesen robbed a bank in their natural forms...everyone assumed they were wearing elaborate masks.
The confusing issue is that for some Wesen, the size and shape of their natural forms often don't match their human camouflage. And an early episode had a porcupine like humanoid Wesen 'morph'...but his clothes didn't get punctured by dozens of quills that covered his body...
Old October 1 2013, 06:38 PM   #731
Christopher
Writer

^But there are two stages of woge -- the lesser kind, usually involuntary, where only a Grimm can see their true appearance, and the full kind, usually voluntary, where anyone can see it. The case you describe is the latter, where they were fully revealed to everyone.

The Grimm Wiki says:
Both levels of woge can be captured on film, and can later be seen by any Grimm, Wesen, or human watching the footage; provided that the levels of woge captured are lesser and full respectively.
That's ambiguously phrased, but I think it means that only a Grimm or Wesen can see a lesser woge even when it's captured on film or video. In "Three Coins in a Fuchsbau," at the ending,

So clearly we're dealing with something at least as much metaphysical as physical. In the case of Hexenbiests, it's been indicated that there's a human half and a Wesen half inhabiting the same body, and that one can be killed without killing the other. Perhaps the same is true of other Wesen species, since sometimes one form lacks injuries that the other has sustained, and they sometimes have different abilities or behavioral tendencies in one form vs. the other. So Wesen seem to be some kind of compound entity, two organisms mystically coexisting in a single body.

Old October 1 2013, 08:47 PM   #732
Lee
Commander

2:15 AM: Incubus ('66): William Shatner speaks Esperanto! Yes, they're actually showing this!
LOL! I actually have this on DVD, because I was once interested in Esperanto and tried (and failed) to learn it. It's actually an interesting (although flawed) movie.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 09:32 AM   #733
RJDiogenes

^As I already said, the current Grimm storyline involves traditional voodoo-style zombies, which are not really "walking dead" (except fictionally) but people put in drug-induced suspended animation resembling death only to awaken in an obedient trance state.
I see. When I say Voodoo zombies, I mean an animated corpse.
Old October 11 2013, 09:38 PM   #734
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Watched Son of Sinbad. I had seen it before, at least partially, because I remember Vincent Price as Omar Khayyam. However, I didn't remember all the risque dance numbers (including pole dancing!) and some of the costumes even had pastie elements which was a bit odd. In fact, the movie doesn't have a whole lot else going on so it was a highlight. Price is pretty cool as Omar and a bit different character than he usually does but our hero is straight wonder bread.

I've seen a couple other Aladdin-type movies in the really light vein like this, I think by the 50's these type of movies were seen as camp stuff not to be taken seriously.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 10:03 PM   #735
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Speaking voodoo and zombies, the new season of AMERICAN HORROR STORY looks like it's going to be working that territory. We've already got Angela Bassett as Marie Leveau . . . .