TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 30 2012, 09:38 AM   #346
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: TCM Genre movies schedule...

^^ That's exactly it. The 30s version is pre-Hayes (or at least pre-enforcement). This is why I love early 30s movies.

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
This Saturday (Sept. 1):

7:45 am Eastern: The Black Cat
9:00: Thunderbirds Are Go
11:30: Fail Safe
4:00 pm: 2010
I've got Black Cat and 2010 on DVD. I'll tape Thunderbirds. I hope they bring back the serials soon.
Old August 30 2012, 02:46 PM   #347
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^ I hear the actors are a bit wooden, ho ho!

Maybe now that the Month of Stars or whatever they call it we'll start to get some more fun stuff.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 03:34 PM   #348
Agent Richard07
Retired

Saw Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde last night. It had a good hook at the beginning with the dinner discussion on evil and the soul, but it kind of dragged after that.

I also just found out that Ingrid Bergman is Isabella Rossellini's mother. Never knew that. I can see the resemblance.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2012, 12:08 AM   #349
Redfern
Commodore

Pretty good line-up for Saturday, September 22, 2012.

1:30 PM ET: IT! The Terror from Beyond Space (1958)

2:45 PM ET: Them! (1954)

4:30 PM ET: The Thing From Another World (1951)

6:00 PM ET: The Time Machine (1960)

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2012, 09:20 AM   #350
RJDonner&Blitzen

That's a great schedule. I've got all but The Thing on DVD. TCM has also been showing Jungle Jim movies on Saturdays; those are pretty cool.
Old September 22 2012, 02:58 PM   #351
Redfern
Commodore

I've never seen "It!..." so this'll be a treat.

Yes, I've read articles and discussions about the similarities between "It!..." and "Alien" some 21 years later. That's particularly why I want to see it, to see how close the latter resmbles the former. I think the core comparison is the motif of a monster picking off crew one by one while secluded aboard a spacecraft.

And rather interesting "Them!" follows "It!..." I've also read comments how "Aliens" (Cameron's sequel) resembles elements of "Them!" You have the orphaned girl, monsters that are "colony" creatures, the rescue of a child, and the pursuit through a labrinth of tunnels with a flame-thrower.

Plus, it'll be fun to see these in high-def now that DirecTV is supplying TCM's HD feed. (I was stunned to see how good the original "Invisible Man" with Claude Raines looked when aired last August.)

Sincerely,

Bill

Old September 22 2012, 04:36 PM   #352
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I haven't seen It! in a long time and then always from a shoddy source so I might check that out as well. From what I remember the ship is much more in close confines than in Alien which affects the feel.
Old September 22 2012, 05:32 PM   #353
Christopher
Writer

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
From what I remember the ship is much more in close confines than in Alien which affects the feel.
Yeah, it's more a conventional '50s-movie rocketship with a number of small decks stacked atop each other, like a vertical submarine.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2012, 08:13 PM   #354
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

It's funny as I get older I really appreciate these older movies more. They don't seem near as corny or whatever to me. It! has a really great black and white look with some great contrast and shadows and I think everything looks to be realized pretty nicely actually.

ETA: Them! is full of Wilhelm screams.

Last edited by Mr. Adventure; September 22 2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old September 22 2012, 09:53 PM   #355
Christopher
Writer

Wow, Them! was a cool movie. I'm lucky I got back from the grocery store juuuust in time to catch the beginning (and had a DVR so I could pause the live cable feed while I put the frozen stuff away). It's a pretty effective movie right from the start, with that reallllly creepy scene of the silent, staring little girl with the broken doll. The script is good, there's some nice suspense, Dr. Medford is a fun character, the obligatory lady scientist is kinda hot, and we even get a bonus science lecture on ants in the middle! (Filmgoers had so much more patience for these huge infodumps back then.) Plus we got cameos by William Schallert as the coroner (wouldn't be a '50s American sci-fi B-movie without him) and Leonard Nimoy as the guy who got the teletype message about the "ant-shaped flying saucers." And, as mentioned above, the multiple Wilhelm screams. Even James Whitmore got one!

Interestingly, this movie came out only four and a half months before Godzilla (or Gojira, if you prefer). I guess Dr. Medford was right that the ants were just a harbinger of what lay ahead in the atomic age...

Old September 22 2012, 11:07 PM   #356
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I think Ben M did a bad job describing John Carpenter's The Thing as an attempt to add something to The Thing From Another World. He should've at least mentioned that even if say Carpenter was influenced by Hawk that The Thing is actually pretty close to the original story wheras it was Hawk's movie that took liberties. Kind of undersold what both men achieved with their films.
Old September 23 2012, 04:03 AM   #357
Redfern
Commodore

I caught that as well, and thought, "Hey, Carpenter's was the more faithful of the two!"

Even with the liberties taken in the Hawks' version, there's a lot to like about that film. The use of overlapping dialog, it gave a layer of realism to an otherwise "fantastic" situation because people often don't wait for others to complete their sentences. The female roles, though there are only two in the film, neither are portrayed as "shrinking violets". Both do what needs to be done and don't simply cower and scream. And though relased in 1951, the strak lighting with the deep shadows harkens to the "film noir" period of the 1940s.

I see TCM aired the "extended" version again. You can tell which scenes are "recovered" fotage because the film quality is a tad inferior to the rest of the movie. Once that material was discovered TCM rarely airs the "common cut" any more.

Finally, one has to wonder what made Carington so fascinated with the asexual method of the Thing's reproduction? His voice kinda' trailed off as he contemplated it. I suspect the writers didn't go any deeper with it than what we saw on screen, but "in universe", one gets the impression he may have ahd problems with interpersonal relationships that made him later think, "We'd be better off without all that 'sex' business. "Simple and 'unconfused'" is the phrase he used. Interesting choice of words.

Sincerely,

Bill

Old September 23 2012, 08:54 AM   #358
Santa Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Santa Klaus's Twitter Profile

The only one I got to watch was It!, which was pretty good all things considered... the vertical decks were interesting, and I also liked that the women weren't just there to scream.

Maybe it's from seeing Alien lol, but I thought of opening it to vacuum right away!

I didn't realize there were restored sections to The Thing... what parts?
Santa Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 09:54 AM   #359
RJDonner&Blitzen

^^ I didn't either. I would have watched if I did.

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
It's funny as I get older I really appreciate these older movies more. They don't seem near as corny or whatever to me. It! has a really great black and white look with some great contrast and shadows and I think everything looks to be realized pretty nicely actually.
I'm glad to hear that. That's exactly how I feel.

ETA: Them! is full of Wilhelm screams.
Wilhelm must have a heck of a sore throat by now.
Old September 23 2012, 02:25 PM   #360
Christopher
Writer

It was cheeky of TCM to schedule them that way -- It! followed by Them!