Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 20 2014, 03:46 AM   #1
Lucky
Commander

Defiance Season 2 Discussion

The second season premiered tonight. I enjoyed the first episode. I'm looking forward to seeing what is in store for us this season.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 11:48 AM   #2
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Defiance Season 2 Discussion

Did that actually improve?

I thought so, but maybe it was just Nu Chicago which got me so happy I let other stuff slide.

Still. The (ex) Mayor has taken a HUGE leap forward in my interest in her now that she is not in her silly Mayor clothes. I'm watching this ep thinking "hot.. actually interesting.. what is going on?!"

Dress was stunning.

mmmmm....

But in the end it was all revealed. She is interesting because, drugs.

She'll end up in rehab and be back in her little mayor'ey outfits

A question for american folk. What flag is this they are squatting on. The don't tread on me flag? I think it is some CA bear thing.

I enjoyed that but clearly need to watch the finale from last season as I only vaguely remember that some dicks took Kendra away. Kendra better come back.

Also. I want those bath salts.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 12:27 PM   #3
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

I'll spoiler code it for people new to the show this season.

"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper

Last edited by Vendikarr; June 20 2014 at 12:52 PM.
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 12:31 PM   #4
teacake
Admiral

That did not happen,we only think that might have happened but we all know it didn't.

Also! I just remembered it is Kenya not Kendra. I think I typed the wrong thing all last season

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old June 20 2014, 12:52 PM   #5
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

teacake wrote: View Post
That did not happen,we only think that might have happened but we all know it didn't.

Also! I just remembered it is Kenya not Kendra. I think I typed the wrong thing all last season
Thanks, corrected the spelling in my post.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 01:35 PM   #6
sojourner
Admiral

Did they subtly change Arisa's face makeup this season? She looked less "alien".

Looks like they are moving from a "frontier town" setup to more of a "Casablanca" for Defiance.

I also wonder if they'll move away from some of the really bad forced terminology like "roller" instead of "car".
Old June 20 2014, 01:56 PM   #7
teacake
Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Did they subtly change Arisa's face makeup this season? She looked less "alien".
I totally noticed that too!! It is like how they de-ridged B'Elanna. And there was some other show with a female character who was almost unrecognizable after they decided to make her more pretty human and less alien though what it is I can't recall atm.

Looks like they are moving from a "frontier town" setup to more of a "Casablanca" for Defiance.
From Firefly to Noir? Yes I agree and the current mayor was dressed like a Centauri Just needed a few gilt medals.
I also wonder if they'll move away from some of the really bad forced terminology like "roller" instead of "car".
I frakking hope so.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old June 20 2014, 02:40 PM   #8
The Wormhole
Admiral

I enjoyed the premiere. It was entertaining, though not really anything special. It mainly seems to be setting up for the new season and its story arc.

But as set up, it has presented some interesting directions for the show. I'd like to see where things go with Tommy now the sheriff and a soldier with E-Rep. Season 1 kind of implies that Tommy is essentially a good cop, but held back with the inexperience of youth. Now, I can see E-Rep wanting someone like that as running the town's law enforcement, someone who knows the town, but with a personality type they think they can control. Be interesting to see if he really is complicit with the E-Rep of if he'll in the end join with the others when the inevitably revolt to drive the E-Rep out goes down.

The prison storyline looks fun, if only for what I suspect will be the comedic team-up of Datak and Dr. Yewll. The scene where Datak tries to get a hand job from her, and her reaction to it was the funniest part of the episode.

Not exactly crazy about Irisa having an imaginary friend following her around, like Baltar with Head Six or whatever. Yeah, I know this was set-up with season 1 with McCawley's son seeing his dead brother following him around, but I didn't really care for that either. And what was the point to the fake-out scene at the end making it seem Irisa had killed Nolan? Aside from momentary shock value, it served no purpose.

The new E-Rep mayor of Defiance, like many other E-Rep characters is cliché cartoon villainy personified. That's fine, I don't really expect anything different from E-Rep, and truth is once you accept that you can enjoy these characters as being fun in their own way. Although, the mayor, aside from being a manipulative douche also has implanted a hidden camera in Amanda's bedroom to watch her get undressed. The hell? Yeah, I get it, he's infatuated with her and has no morals or scruples, and for all I know E-Rep has no laws against voyeurism, or at the very least higher-up are essentially above the law. But that was just an unnecessary glimpse into how creepy the guy really is.
Old June 20 2014, 03:26 PM   #9
sojourner
Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
But that was just an unnecessary glimpse into how creepy the guy really is.
Then how would we know just how creepy the guy really is?
Old June 20 2014, 06:01 PM   #10
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post

A question for american folk. What flag is this they are squatting on. The don't tread on me flag? I think it is some CA bear thing.

That's the California state flag.
Old June 21 2014, 12:48 AM   #11
teacake
Admiral

I read this article about Grant Bowler loving Defiance, compares it to Blade Runner and Star Wars:

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainme...529-zrqdp.html

Blade Runner is in my top three movies of all time because the world is complete. You buy the science fiction completely because it’s so well thought through and executed but also, at the same time, you don’t even notice it because the story’s so good.
“That’s what good science fiction is. That’s what drew me to Defiance, after a while you forget it is science fiction.”
Which made me laugh because so far the only reason I like this show is because it IS science fiction. I'm more interested in the sci fi setting than the characters or the story itself so far which has been quite cliched.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old June 21 2014, 12:51 AM   #12
sojourner
Admiral

I wonder how much SyFy paid him for that plug?
Old June 21 2014, 01:05 AM   #13
teacake
Admiral

It's pretty over the top

But who knows, maybe season 2 will turn out like some hybrid Blade Runner/Star Wars wondershow.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old June 21 2014, 03:19 AM   #14
The Wormhole
Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
But that was just an unnecessary glimpse into how creepy the guy really is.
Then how would we know just how creepy the guy really is?
Does he need to be creepy? Isn't being a manipulative douche enough of an unlikeable quality to convey he's evil and the villain?
Old June 21 2014, 03:28 AM   #15
teacake
Admiral

I really think he should have hidden the camera better. If she ever goes to move that panda thing she will find it.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne