Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old October 11 2011, 01:19 PM   #1
GalaxyClass1701
Captain

View GalaxyClass1701's Twitter Profile
Vanguard the next TV series.

IMO this would be the best possible move. Besides the fact that it's the best thing to come out of Trek since DS9 it takes place during the same time frame that JJ Trek is set in.

Besides that there its just so different than any Trek we have seen before by having so many non Starfleet main characters.

What do you think?
GalaxyClass1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Tom
Rear Admiral

Re: Vanguard the next TV series.

The biggest issue is getting CBS to commit to a new series more so than what it will be about. The plot and direction will depend on whoever CBS hires as the showrunner, and where they want to take it. Otherwise, Vangaurd is just as good as some of the other stories out there.
Old October 11 2011, 04:05 PM   #3
GalaxyClass1701
Captain

Tom wrote: View Post
The biggest issue is getting CBS to commit to a new series more so than what it will be about. The plot and direction will depend on whoever CBS hires as the showrunner, and where they want to take it. Otherwise, Vangaurd is just as good as some of the other stories out there.
I think it would be a lit easier to pitch Vangaurd to CBS than other things because it's got a much more moder and edgy feel to it.
Old October 11 2011, 07:09 PM   #4
Dukhat
Commodore

GalaxyClass1701 wrote: View Post
IMO this would be the best possible move. Besides the fact that it's the best thing to come out of Trek since DS9 it takes place during the same time frame that JJ Trek is set in.

Besides that there its just so different than any Trek we have seen before by having so many non Starfleet main characters.

What do you think?
There was already a show set on a space station. We need something new.
Old October 11 2011, 07:21 PM   #5
GalaxyClass1701
Captain

There was also 6 movies and three season of Kirk and they made a new film.

There was also 17 seasons of Starships.

If you read Vangaurd you know how differen it is. It doesn't even focus on the crew of the Space Station at all besides Tpyrn Reyes. Most of the stories revolve around non Starfleet members.

The Srarfleet Officers it does are different to. Ranna Desai is a Jag officer.

Non Star Fleet main characters.

Reporter Tim Pennington.
Cervantes Quinn
Ambassador Jetenian
Crime boss Gantz
Lugock Klingon Ambassador
Carol Marcus

There are also 3-4 Star ships assigned to the station.

To say it's like DS9 just because there is a space station doesn't work. It's like saying we can't do TNG there was already a show about the Enterprise.
Old October 11 2011, 07:27 PM   #6
Dukhat
Commodore

If you read Vangaurd you know how differen it is. It doesn't even focus on the crew of the Space Station at all besides Tpyrn Reyes. Most of the stories revolve around non Starfleet members.

Reporter Tim Pennington.
Cervantes Quinn
Ambassador Jetenian
Crime boss Gantz
Carol Marcus

To say it's like DS9 just because there is a space station doesn't work. It's like saying we can't do TNG there was already a show about the Enterprise.
I've read the Vanguard novels. They're ok. But IMHO they're not so great that I'd want to watch a show about it. If you do, good for you.
Old October 11 2011, 07:42 PM   #7
GalaxyClass1701
Captain

Dukhat wrote: View Post

Reporter Tim Penningto
Cervantes Quinn
Ambassador Jetenian
Crime boss Gantz
Carol Marcus

I've read the Vanguard novels. They're ok. But IMHO they're not so great that I'd want to watch a show about it. If you do, good for you.
See I have no problem with this if you don't like it that's fine with me. I just didn't think your previous point was valid about being too simlar to DS9.
Old October 12 2011, 12:52 AM   #8
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
I think it would be a lit easier to pitch Vangaurd to CBS than other things because it's got a much more moder and edgy feel to it.
Have you seen CBS's lineup? "Edgy" is not the first phrase that comes to mind.

But just for fun, give us your elevator pitch. In 30 words or less, why should the CBS suits greenlight your idea?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2011, 04:06 AM   #9
ngc7293
Commander

I don't even know about Vanguard, but just from the description of the characters it sounds like nBSG. Does this space station have Marines?

From what I have been reading here abouts, there really shouldn't be any suggestion for a new TV show because of CBS' demeanor towards Trek. If that changes THEN people can go hog wild about ideas for a new show.
Old October 12 2011, 04:56 AM   #10
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

I'd watch it.

But I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff. And there isn't ten million of me.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 06:14 AM   #11
Bob Karo
Captain

Kelso wrote: View Post
I'd watch it.

But I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff. And there isn't ten million of me.
This sums up my opinion on it. There's plenty of shows I'd love to see, but they'd end up as bottomless pits for producers to throw money into.
Bob Karo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 02:07 PM   #12
The Wormhole
Admiral

I only read the first Vanguard book and half of the second one. The first was okay, but I couldn't get through the second and gave up. I have read vague plot descriptions for the rest of the series, however.

First of all, there's no way CBS is going to do a new series that takes place at the same time as TOS of the prime timeline. I suspect that if a Vanguard series did happen, it would be in the Abrams timeline.

But more importantly, everything in it's been done in sci-fi. The space station setting's been done in DS9 and B5, as have all the poilitical intrigue among the various superpowers. They mysterious ancient alien race that has left its technology laying around is the basis for the entire Stargate franchise.

And finally, later books of Vanguard seem really into Trek continuity. Admiral Nogura's a main character for fuck sakes.
Old October 13 2011, 09:58 PM   #13
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

First of all, there's no way CBS is going to do a new series that takes place at the same time as TOS of the prime timeline.
If someone with credibility in the entertainment industry comes along and presents a compelling case to CBS why this Star Trek: Vanguard series is a good risk for them vs whatever else they could be doing with their time and money, then that could easily happen.

I doubt CBS suits actually understand that Abrams' movies are in an alternate reality or if they understand, that they care. Would the TV and movie audience be confused? Only if they're paying enough attention to be confused. I wouldn't be anything on that being the case.

But I still haven't seen any indication why anyone with credibility in the entertainment industry, even those like Kurtzman and Orci or Seth McFarlane, who have expressed interest in doing a Star Trek series, should be interested in adapting Vanguard in particular, or that CBS would respond favorably to that pitch in lieu of any other than could be made.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote