Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 26 2011, 07:34 PM   #16
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile
Re: Pan Am...did anyone watch?

I thought it was pretty interesting... I don't remember the heyday of Pan Am very well, but I do remember flying it as a kid back in the 70's... By then the glitz and glamour had worn off those old 707s, quite a bit... I had one of those blue carry on bags for years... I'm sure my parents bought it in the airport gift shop, but who knows..

Christina Ricci is just gorgeous in the outfit, I have to say..

Supposedly, the spy storyline is based on actual events from the woman (former stewardess) who wrote the original concept.
Old September 26 2011, 07:35 PM   #17
23skidoo
Admiral

I actually was going to watch this, and then I got interested in doing something else and I missed it. I'm finding myself utterly disinterested in TV this season. Other than Doctor Who I wouldn't be watching it at all. That's not a comment on quality or lack thereof - I just find I no longer care. Must be getting old. I rather read a book or play Destroy All Humans on my PS2.

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2011, 07:54 PM   #18
Warped9
Admiral

I'm watching it now off ctv.ca. It's not bad. And French stewardess is HOT!

Not on Mad Men's level, but not bad.
Old September 26 2011, 08:00 PM   #19
J.T.B.
Commodore

Lindley wrote: View Post
The depiction of the pilots wasn't the greatest. I don't know what the reality was back then, but these days airline pilots have massive experience requirements. You don't get to even be a first officer or flight engineer without a large number of pilot-in-command hours under your belt on noncommercial aircraft, so the age of the pilots was a bit unlikely.
"A bit" is being kind. The airline industry lived off the huge numbers of pilots trained for WW2 for thirty years. A Pan Am captain south of 40 in the early '60s is highly unlikely, and one in the age range of that kid is just not realistic. How many hours could he have? The pilots should be more like John Slattery age, and what would be wrong with that?

During the takeoff, the two pilots share this goofy grin and the music swells as if this is a fantastic moment. Dudes, you've both done it hundreds of times before, and at least dozens in a similar class of aircraft (otherwise you wouldn't be there). Show some professionalism.
I'm glad you mentioned it, that was what made me decide I wasn't going to stick around for the next act. Getting an airliner in the air, even a new one, is serious business and they're supposed to be old hands, but they were grinning like two goofy teens who just got the keys to dad's Thunderbird.

Other than that, it was okay I guess. The CIA angle is interesting.
I thought it was horse shit. The excitement and changes the Jet Age brings to people's lives aren't interesting enough to build a story on, you have to have some espionage angle? Apparently the only thing they learned from Mad Men is a series set in the '60s can sell.

And the show's PC no-smoking policy seems to have been extended to the Pratt & Whitneys on the jet clipper, they looked pretty clean on that take off.

I knew it would probably be bad, but what I saw there was awful. The saturated color, spotless sets and too-cheery lighting didn't give me a sense of authenticily, and the characters and dialogue made me think "Grey's Airline" might be a more fitting title.

--Justin
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2011, 08:08 PM   #20
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

You're right. Every TV show needs to be 100% realistic to what they are depicting. All those lawyer and cop shows, totally like the real thing.
Old September 26 2011, 08:12 PM   #21
Warped9
Admiral

Yeah, it's glamorized and the pilots are not credible, but overall it wasn't bad and I'll hang in for a couple of episodes to see what happens. the cgi is a little too obvious.
Old September 26 2011, 08:18 PM   #22
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
The depiction of the pilots wasn't the greatest. I don't know what the reality was back then, but these days airline pilots have massive experience requirements. You don't get to even be a first officer or flight engineer without a large number of pilot-in-command hours under your belt on noncommercial aircraft, so the age of the pilots was a bit unlikely.
"A bit" is being kind. The airline industry lived off the huge numbers of pilots trained for WW2 for thirty years. A Pan Am captain south of 40 in the early '60s is highly unlikely, and one in the age range of that kid is just not realistic. How many hours could he have? The pilots should be more like John Slattery age, and what would be wrong with that?
I thought the pilot look at a bit young but then came up with the theory he could of been ex-air force and possible having flown jets in Korea though could also have been a WWII pilot

During the takeoff, the two pilots share this goofy grin and the music swells as if this is a fantastic moment. Dudes, you've both done it hundreds of times before, and at least dozens in a similar class of aircraft (otherwise you wouldn't be there). Show some professionalism.
I'm glad you mentioned it, that was what made me decide I wasn't going to stick around for the next act. Getting an airliner in the air, even a new one, is serious business and they're supposed to be old hands, but they were grinning like two goofy teens who just got the keys to dad's Thunderbird.
[/quote]

But it was a brand new jet on it's first flight, Guess you could equate it to Kirk's line about there only being 12 ships like the Enterprise in Star Fleet, yeah Pan Am has lotsa plane but these are brand new Jets and there's alway a bit of thrill to be the first on something.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2011, 08:21 PM   #23
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

marillion wrote: View Post
I had one of those blue carry on bags for years... I'm sure my parents bought it in the airport gift shop, but who knows...
I recognized that Pan Am bag - one of my older sisters had one! I've forgotten that all these years...

I rather read a book or play Destroy All Humans on my PS2.
Seeing the new fall TV lineups usually makes me want to Destroy All Humans, too. But this year, we've got two promising series already (Person of Interest and Pan Am) and the most interesting sounding shows are not even debuting till October.

And the reason the pilot is young and hunky is because ABC depends on the female demo for their core audience. As ever, realism takes a back seat to sex and ratings in the TV biz. Hasn't everyone gotten used to that by this late date?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2011, 08:58 PM   #24
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Marc wrote: View Post
But it was a brand new jet on it's first flight, Guess you could equate it to Kirk's line about there only being 12 ships like the Enterprise in Star Fleet, yeah Pan Am has lotsa plane but these are brand new Jets and there's alway a bit of thrill to be the first on something.
First regularly-scheduled commercial flight, perhaps. Like I said, it's silly to think the plane had never been in the sky before or that these two pilots hadn't done training flights on the type.

Still, I suppose there is an element of "it's showtime" which could excuse it. I'd just be happier if there were nothing to excuse.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2011, 09:04 PM   #25
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I watched it and thought it was decent. Definitely some good looking eye candy... and I had NO idea that Christina Ricci was in it. They should have promoted that more. Everybody loves her.
Old September 26 2011, 09:06 PM   #26
Warped9
Admiral

I admit part of the appeal is the period setting even if it is glamorized. It sets it apart from what we're so familiar with today. In 1963 I was only four years old so my memories are rather dim, but I do recall something of those times.
Old September 26 2011, 10:36 PM   #27
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

Can't say I was bowled over. I only tuned in for Christina Ricci and the 60s flair anyway.

The show made me do some reading on Pan Am. Learned about the Worldport and the fact that they called their planes "clippers".

Finally, the statement that this plane has "never flown before" is quite obviously false (it would never be put into passenger service without flight testing).
I caught that too.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2011, 10:42 PM   #28
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

I refuse to watch it for all the for-mentioned problems with its aviation reality.
Old September 26 2011, 10:46 PM   #29
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

ThunderAeroI wrote: View Post
I refuse to watch it for all the for-mentioned problems with its aviation reality.
Well, to be fair, at least the pilots are part of the show. Something I've noticed is that too often, the "public face" of air travel is the flight attendants, check-in clerks, and baggage handlers. Take the NetJets commercial with Roger Federer, for instance. It's like mass media doesn't realize that a good pilot is the most important part of any flight. They're taken for granted, and frankly, not paid enough.

I'd still like it if there were more TV coverage of other-than-airline aviation. Things like Angel Flight, Pilots and Paws, Air Care Alliance, even just $100 hamburger practice flights, etc. Most people don't even know that there are scores of airports within 50 miles of them that have zero TSA presence. I don't expect Pan Am to do much of this (it is an airline show, after all), but something would be nice.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2011, 10:53 PM   #30
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I think it's kind of funny that some don't like the show because it doesn't accurately portray commercial flights and pilots. Since when were TV dramas meant to be realistic?? If that is your criteria then you can't watch any cop, lawyer, or medical shows or any other show for that matter depicting any profession, because I'm sure they are not at all accurate. Also, I think some are making the mistake of seeing this as a show about aviation. Really, this is a show about stewardesses and their personal lives, so correct aviation details are hardly necessary.

As for my personal opinion...I guess it was okay, but nothing special. I will give it another shot. There was a little too much romance in the first episode; if it's basically going to be all about relationships and lovey stuff I will give it a pass.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote