To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old January 9 2012, 08:57 PM   #196
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Why are the TOS movies better then the TNG movies?

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
While it wasn't totally unfeasible for TNG to make more than 4 movies.
Except, the pattern of rising salaries for Stewart and Spiner was making the budget trickier with each film. Or Paramount had to have been brave enough to proceed without one or both of them.

TMP commenced as "Phase II" without Nimoy. Saavik and David were groomed to take over from Nimoy and Shatner in future Spockless/Kirkless ST followups to ST II. They weren't needed, but they were on hand. Each movie was a reunion, after the initial absence of the characters for ten years.

The success of TNG films, after seven years of the characters together in ensemble, hinged on the ensemble effect, even though two cast members insisted on maximum participation/salary, but TNG movies' success still hinged on the presence of the ensemble.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2012, 09:17 PM   #197
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post

The success of TNG films, after seven years of the characters together in ensemble, hinged on the ensemble effect, even though two cast members insisted on maximum participation/salary, but TNG movies' success still hinged on the presence of the ensemble.
I really disagree here. I think they could've ditched everyone but Stewart, Spiner and Dorn and not missed a beat.
Old January 9 2012, 09:29 PM   #198
Therin of Andor
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I really disagree here. I think they could've ditched everyone but Stewart, Spiner and Dorn and not missed a beat.
That was kind of my point. Stewart and Spiner were making huge salary and participation demands and Dorn had a clause in his DS9 contract that he be included in future TNG movies.

But to ditch the rest of the ensemble would have trodden on a lot of toes.
Old January 9 2012, 09:36 PM   #199
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

To ditch the rest of the ensemble beyond Stewart, Spiner, and Dorn would have angered a great deal of the fans. If that made big financial sense for the studio, I can see them trying to weather that storm. However, the truth is that it was the salaries of Stewart and Spiner that were causing the budgets of the films to explode.

While I'm sure someone like Marina Sirtis or Gates McFadden was not being paid chump change by any means, I seriously doubt that eliminating them from the cast would have made a major impact on the film's budget.

The only way actor salaries could have helped the budget is if they had eliminated Stewart or Spiner, and they weren't about to do that.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2012, 09:50 PM   #200
BillJ
Admiral

Not talking about cost. Talking about them taking up screen time spouting generic lines.
Old January 10 2012, 05:05 AM   #201
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

Money may have played a role, but the real reason was the TOS movies had a theme that ran through each film: the real meaning of friendship. The TNG movies were just random adventures.
Old January 10 2012, 08:46 PM   #202
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

TNG could have-should have-had done more than just the four films in the uears since the series went off the air. I almost do not know what happened, but it seems the soul of TNG was walked all over in favor of more action-oriented drama. A pity as TNG had the potential and mass market appeal to go longer than even TOS as a feature film franchise.
CaptainMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2012, 10:08 PM   #203
BillJ
Admiral

CaptainMatt wrote: View Post
TNG could have-should have-had done more than just the four films in the uears since the series went off the air. I almost do not know what happened, but it seems the soul of TNG was walked all over in favor of more action-oriented drama. A pity as TNG had the potential and mass market appeal to go longer than even TOS as a feature film franchise.
I think the fact is that TNG was simply harder to translate into something mass market audiences wanted to pay to see on the big screen. Sometimes something that is magical on TV simply doesn't work on the big screen or vice-versa.
Old January 10 2012, 11:49 PM   #204
Therin of Andor
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I think the fact is that TNG was simply harder to translate into something mass market audiences wanted to pay to see on the big screen. Sometimes something that is magical on TV simply doesn't work on the big screen or vice-versa.
There is not much sense of nostalgia when a show moves to feature films only a few weeks after a highly successful seven-season TV run. "The X-Files" had a similar problem, which had a feature film between TV seasons. (Ditto the 60s "Batman".)

Here in Australia, where colour TV didn't come in until late 1975, we had a few screened in b/w prime time TV soap operas ("Bellbird", "Number 96", "The Box") release a feature film version in the 70s that drove audiences wild, not because they were great movies, or even good examples of what made the shows popular on TV, but because fans could see their heroes in full colour for the first time.

TNG on film needed an extra hook.

TOS movies came with ten years of anticipation of seeing our heroes together again. Gene Roddenberry even suggested to Paramount that TOS be pulled from TV syndication for the months leading up to ST:TMP's premiere, to make audiences even hungrier. And it worked. Even though many ST fans were disappointed by TMP, they still went back to see it over and over and over.
Old January 11 2012, 03:10 AM   #205
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

CaptainMatt wrote: View Post
I agree. When TNG DID do one that was more like its soul (INS) people complained it was just like an ep. Wow, ya can't win for losin'!

With TOS we had seen the 79 a million times by the 80's and here were some NEW ADVENTURES. Wow, thanks. Another poster is right, that we had seen 7 years of eps of TNG, and oh yeah, here are a few more.
Old January 12 2012, 06:39 PM   #206
Anwar
Vice Admiral

That, and the best stories TNG could have turned into movies had already been done: Yesterday's Enterprise would've been the perfect TOS/TNG crossover film.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 06:43 PM   #207
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Anwar wrote: View Post
That, and the best stories TNG could have turned into movies had already been done: Yesterday's Enterprise would've been the perfect TOS/TNG crossover film.
Absolutely agree.

The 1701-A after the end of TUC heading back to Earth for decommissioning passes through a temporal rift and encounters the 1701-D in the 24th century.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2012, 01:09 AM   #208
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

^ ugh. really?
Old January 13 2012, 10:01 PM   #209
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

Never know. Might have worked.
CaptainMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2012, 11:02 PM   #210
Mooch
Fleet Captain

If you want to know why the TOS movies were better, just look at the plots: the stakes were higher!

TMP - stopping Earth from being destroyed
TWOK - stopping the Genesis weapon
TSFS - ok, not very epic except for getting Spock back
TVH - stopping Earth from being destroyed
TFF - Enterprise getting hijacked, kinda interesting
TUC - peace between Federation and Klingons

GEN - stopping a guy from destroying a planet no one's ever heard of
FC - stopping Earth from being destroyed - that's why this one is the good one!
IN - saving some aliens on a planet no one's ever heard of
NEM - I honestly can't remember...Picard's clone wanted to kill him or something? I think the biggest problem with this one is that they cut out all the character developement bits and the plot didn't make any sense

Last edited by Mooch; January 13 2012 at 11:29 PM. Reason: derp de derp
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote