Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old November 26 2011, 08:49 PM   #166
Lt. Beatings
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Why are the TOS movies better then the TNG movies?

TMP hurts my eyes. Is there a warning on that thing for epileptics? So many flashing lights.
Lt. Beatings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2011, 12:55 AM   #167
MasuPu'a
Lieutenant

Lt. Beatings wrote: View Post
TMP hurts my eyes. Is there a warning on that thing for epileptics? So many flashing lights.
It doesn't hurt my eyes, but the visuals do get very dull very quickly. It's just on and on, staring a the screen, then staring at people who are staring at the screen, staring at the screen. Lights flickering and psychedelic clouds...actually that whole sequence might be a Hell of a lot better if you just replace all the audio with a Pink Floyd album.
MasuPu'a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2011, 02:25 AM   #168
sonak
Vice Admiral

MasuPu'a wrote: View Post
It doesn't hurt my eyes, but the visuals do get very dull very quickly. It's just on and on, staring a the screen, then staring at people who are staring at the screen, staring at the screen. Lights flickering and psychedelic clouds...actually that whole sequence might be a Hell of a lot better if you just replace all the audio with a Pink Floyd album.

I've read it described as similar to "watching a bunch of people watching a television screen."
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2011, 04:16 AM   #169
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

actually that whole sequence might be a Hell of a lot better if you just replace all the audio with a Pink Floyd album.
Close your eyes and listen to the pretty Goldsmith score.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2011, 03:08 AM   #170
Bones_McCoy21
Commander

Well I find the TOS movies more enjoyable because everybody knows it...Shatner is a BAD actor(FYI to those who didn't know that) but his bad acting makes it funny and worth watching (patrick stewart is too serious to be funny)
Old December 2 2011, 05:52 AM   #171
MasuPu'a
Lieutenant

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
actually that whole sequence might be a Hell of a lot better if you just replace all the audio with a Pink Floyd album.
Goldsmith is nice...But I'm thinking that putting on Pink Floyd and lighting one up would turn the whole movie experience into something epic.
MasuPu'a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2011, 04:56 PM   #172
22 Stars
Commodore

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Goldsmith is nice...But I'm thinking that putting on Pink Floyd and lighting one up would turn the whole movie experience into something epic.
Well sure, and that's what millions of fans did for 2001: A Space Odyssey 10 years prior. This had a great impact on Roddenberry and inspired the tone of TMP greatly.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2011, 08:30 AM   #173
pengbuzz

What I noticed as the difference between the TOS movies and the TNG films was that (at least with the first 4), the scope seemed far more epic. In TMP, we see the unveiling of the Refit, and we catch up with the characters as their lives once again converge together onboard the Enterprise. McCoy was out of Starfleet, as was Spock, who was undergoing the Kolinahr on Vulcan. Kirk was Chief of Starfleet operations as an Admiral, and Decker was now the captain of the ship. In WOK, it had a "nautical" feel in it, with the music of James Horner, the many references (bot visual and spoken), and the uniforms really made it feel like the crew was part of a fleet (as opposed to the pastel pj's they wore in TMP!!). SFS was the saddest for me, as the Enterprise was destroyed, but in the fashion of being epic, it allowed for the all time epic instance of Kirk bending/breaking the rules: he STOLE the Enterprise!!! By admission, TVH wasn't as epic per se, but it was a fun comedy, and you have to admit: Spock saying "damn" every 5 minutes was hilarious.

With TNG: it didn't have the same quality of being epic and big: the crew was pretty much transplanted from the tv series to the film without much change, and the Enterprise D was just the same old ship, which got wrecked. No sense of them being people with lives, but just still doing what they were doing when we last saw them.

Speaking of the ships: the Enterprise -E, while a beautiful ship, just wasn't given the same treatment as the refit, and the ship was too agile for my tastes; it conveyed no sense of its' mass, especially during the Borg cube battle in First Contact. When a ship that big moves with a sense of being big, no matter how agile it may be, it gives it an air of being grand and large. But none of that happened; it just seemed to lack the grace that the Refit had in her movements.

In the end: the TOS films had the sense that the crew were legends as was the Ship, but that they were also people who lived. TNG just seemed to me like a feature film add on to the TV series and lacked those qualities. Yes, Goldsmith returned for the TNG films, but even then the soundtrack lacked the elegance the TOS ones possessed. But then, perhaps we are expecting too much from TNG and remembering TOS too fondly.
Old December 21 2011, 08:51 PM   #174
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Just watching TMP and it's pretty dreadful. It was of its time but it makes Peter Jackson's editing look terse and economical.
Old December 21 2011, 08:57 PM   #175
The Dominion
Fleet Captain

You really have to look into the plot and past the dragging cinematography. It's a strong classic Trek story, just a bit too much visual filler.
Old December 21 2011, 08:59 PM   #176
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Crassmass Eve wrote: View Post
Just watching TMP and it's pretty dreadful. It was of its time but it makes Peter Jackson's editing look terse and economical.
TMP is genius and you just don't get it. What you need is the extended super extra directors cut uber edition with 3 hours of extra footage.
Old December 21 2011, 09:00 PM   #177
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Oh I get the story and I think it's an interesting, dare I say, original take on the lost child returned story. The realisation just, well, sucks.
Old December 21 2011, 09:03 PM   #178
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Oh I get the story and I think it's an interesting, dare I say, original take on the lost child returned story. The realisation just, well, sucks.
You have to see it in HD for full effect. and on a 20 foot screen.
Old December 21 2011, 09:32 PM   #179
sonak
Vice Admiral

Skutter Claws wrote: View Post
TMP is genius and you just don't get it. What you need is the extended super extra directors cut uber edition with 3 hours of extra footage.

if this is sarcasm, I totally agree with the sentiment.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2011, 10:18 PM   #180
thumbtack
Commodore

22 Stars wrote: View Post
Well sure, and that's what millions of fans did for 2001: A Space Odyssey 10 years prior. This had a great impact on Roddenberry and inspired the tone of TMP greatly.

Really? Roddenberry seems like he was more the cocaine and alcohol type to me.