A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 19 2013, 05:35 PM   #1
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile
Double Helix: Infection Review

Some people here warned me that I only needed to read the New Frontier entry, but just like Captain's Table, the cost of the collection versus just one book on Kindle was so small it seemed silly not to just get all six books.

I finished Infection last night, and ... well... I wasn't that impressed.

My Review
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 07:24 PM   #2
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: Double Helix: Infection Review

To be honest, I found all of the multi-part series (Invasion, Double Helix etc.) hugely disappointing...

Last edited by Relayer1; September 19 2013 at 09:12 PM.
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 08:51 PM   #3
Markonian
Captain

I read the Double Helix series when it came out in Germany in 2012 and found them okay but not awesome. The Pulaski and STA novels were probably the high points for me personally, wit NF tumbling too much into comic book territory for my taste. It was awesome to see Thomas again, though.
Old September 19 2013, 10:26 PM   #4
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I thought Red Sector was excellent and Double or Nothing okay, but the rest were awful. The continuity between books is terrible too - when we finally meet the villain, his MO is completely at odds with what prior novels established.
Old September 20 2013, 02:09 AM   #5
tomswift2002
Captain

I have a couple of the single issues of this series and then the giant omnibus that came out in 2002? (or was it '03?) and I've been reading through the omnibus. Of course I'm only up to book 4, but when I read the first three books I found that I had had enough of both the series (3 books back-to-back-to-back) and trying to hold the oversized omnibus for a while. Maybe I'll get back to the story this winter.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 01:19 PM   #6
NightJim
Commander

Yeah, I've got a few books I'm reading in between, mostly because I'm doing a chronological read through, but also I tend to break up my Trek reading with a other books between each one. Hopefully it'll make it easier to get through the series. Judging from this thread, about half of it will be okay.
Old September 21 2013, 08:09 PM   #7
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Invasion had a lot of cool stuff in it, even if it didn't hang together very well. I felt like the Furies were completely different in every book. The rest of the big crossovers were pretty universally disappointing, save the ongoing series entries in Gateways, which were good because they were part of ongoing series, not because they were part of Gateways.
Old October 1 2013, 02:20 AM   #8
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile

The only thing I remember about the series now is thinking the concept was very interesting to me at the time but the execution seem very lacking and Red Sector is one of my most hated ST books.

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 01:36 PM   #9
Tirius
Captain

I remember quite enjoying the Pulaski entry of Double Helix, Vectors I think. Other than that I only read Double or Nothing, so it appears I missed the lesser entries...
Tirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 12:36 PM   #10
NightJim
Commander

Just finished Vectors, that was much better. Felt like an actual plague was going on, and the setting of Terok Nor was great, seeing familiar faces and places but in a totally different context.

I did get the impression that not only was it a sequel to Infection but to another book as well. Kira was making constant references to something happening last year that required her to infiltrate the station. In fact Kira was probably the only let down in the book, and that was just I wanted to see more of her investigation on the planet.
Old October 28 2013, 01:07 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer

NightJim wrote: View Post
I did get the impression that not only was it a sequel to Infection but to another book as well. Kira was making constant references to something happening last year that required her to infiltrate the station.
That would be the flashback portions of the DS9 episode "Necessary Evil," showing how Odo and Kira first met.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 07:16 PM   #12
NightJim
Commander

Ahh, my memory of individual episodes is terrible. I couldn't remember if there was a flashback of that or not. Then again, I've not watched DS9 since it originally aired.