Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 17 2012, 09:03 AM   #271
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Re: "Castle" season 4 begins tonight

That was one hell of an episode!

Judging from the information i had for the episode, the short summary and a few sneak peeks i thought it would be an interesting episode with a "normal" case that "just" put the both of them at odds but i never imagined it be tied to the Castle metaplot and that was done brilliantly.

That's what was missing from the entire season so far.. i love the banter and developing relationship stuff and i'll be one happy camper when they get together but the JB murder case was always central to them and it's good to know that the writers haven't forgotten that and they bring it back with style.

The writing was rock solid on this one.. really liked the building suspense and tension between Castle and Beckett until they finally blew up City Hall after confronting the mayor.. Beckett was spot on and Castle knew that the game was up.

Also impressed by the writing (and performance) for Gates.. they peeled back a bit of the shell and have shown more of her which i'm all for. I am beginning to like her.. she's a cop through and through, uncompromising but fair, maybe a stickler for rules but she believes in them and she believes in justice.
I also don't think she'd have removed Castle from the precinct if push came to show.. i believe she's come around on him a bit and sees that he brings something to the table which makes Beckett's team so succesful so she'd keep him around.

@adm. young:

The mayor made a few appearances in season 1 but they changed the actor for this one.. this is maybe why you didn't recognize him.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2012, 09:11 AM   #272
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ Ahhh okay. That makes sense. Yeah Gates is great...I know I've been the only one (I think) who has liked her from the start but I think we all knew we weren't going to get another Captain Montgomery. We've seen subtle signs that she's "warming" up to Castle, or at least respects him to a degree. I don't think she would automatically remove Rick without just cause. Maybe at the very start...but now she's seen him work with Kate for a while now. Successfully too.

I still think they're going to use Castle's feelings for Kate as a way to build tension between them due to the JB case. Basically what I'm trying to say is that I don't think we're on an easy road to Caskett

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2012, 11:08 AM   #273
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

It's sure that Caskett is not easy to become a couple.. especially with the 2 mines waiting to explode, i.e. both of their big secrets however, unlike other shows, the producers know the feelings of the fans regarding the couple to be and are on record that there are definite plans to get them together because they don't want to extend it needlessly like other shows.

However they are very tight lipped when and how that will happen but several interviews have painted a clearer picture that it may indeed happen this season (or at least some monumental progress).
Old January 17 2012, 11:18 AM   #274
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Agreed. As I mentioned prior in the thread Stana and Nathan are both on record as saying they want it to happen and think it would be great for the show. Originally I think I said I thought something might happen for Feb sweeps...maybe maybe now they'll draw it out and let it unfold until May. For some reason I think we're going to get a cliffhanger season finale that deals with it.

Old January 17 2012, 02:13 PM   #275
Forbin
Admiral

There HAS to be a better ship contraction than Caskett!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2012, 04:53 PM   #276
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Forbin wrote: View Post
Bestle?
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2012, 07:55 PM   #277
Christopher
Writer

Not bad overall, but I hate stories about vast, overarching, all-powerful conspiracies. They're crap. In reality, the larger a conspiracy gets, the more impossible it is to keep it secret, because there are just too many ways for it to be compromised or exposed. So huge, untouchable, entrenched conspiracies are about as believable as UFO abductions. Not to mention that conspiracy/paranoia-based stories are so damn predictable and formulaic, which makes them boring to me.

And could they have made it any more formulaic in that climactic scene with the mayor's aide in the interrogation room? "All right, I'll tell you. The name of the person I called, which I am about to tell you, is the name I'm about to reveal, which is -- are you listening? Good, because I'll tell you now that the name, which is the name of the person I called, I mean, is...." The only difference from the usual stilted cliche is that he was silenced by a lawyer instead of a gunshot. Sheesh.

That was a good scene with Captain Gates, though. Except that the way she pushed Beckett to move on and erase the crime board at the end there made me wonder (damn, now they've got me doing it) if she could be secretly part of the Vast Evil Conspiracy. I mean, she wants Castle out of the way and so do the conspirators. Although I guess we already had the previous captain turn out to be part of the VEC, however grudgingly, so that would be repetitive. But then, as I just said, the problem with conspiracy stories is that they're formulaic, that every trusted authority figure turns out to be in on it. So the question is, just how much are they embracing the cliches?

I vote for no contraction at all.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2012, 08:26 PM   #278
Forbin
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post

I vote for no contraction at all.
I second. I was just trying to mollify the masses, who seem to thrive on these things.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2012, 11:14 PM   #279
I Grok Spock
Fleet Captain

Actually, I think Castle would get a kick out of it.
Old January 17 2012, 11:50 PM   #280
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ I think he would as well. I don't think Gates is part of the conspiracy. She's just a "cop's cop" and doesn't think Castle belongs there with the real cops. I think she thinks that he hampers their investigation and doesn't bring anything. I also think she thinks that Rick is an obvious distraction for Kate that she doesn't need. Gates has slowly come around now though. She'd really have to have just cause to boot out Rick now. He'd have to do something incredibly stupid to piss her off enough to consider it.

I like how Kate has come around to give Rick the benefit of the doubt now...I think back in season one or two there would be no way she would not hesitate before going after the Mayor. The two of them have come a long way.

As for the notion of a conspiracy theory as a plot device. Eh. I think this one has been slightly different than most others. It hasn't been in our faces all the time. I don't think it "forced" either. It is part of the main arc of the show...and hell it's a mystery!! So I don't have any problem with it. My main concern is that I hope they don't drag it out too long, just to tell the story.

Old January 20 2012, 03:37 PM   #281
voyagergrl3193
Lieutenant

This show is one of my favorite shows on TV now, besides NCIS. I also loved the first episode as well. Last year's finale really had me going oh crap because I thought that Beckett was done for! I was excited, yet shocked to learn that Castle won a People's Choice Award for best crime show and Nathan Fillion won for best actor in a drama. His speech made me laugh histerically.
voyagergrl3193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 06:39 PM   #282
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

^ I just googled that speech. Nice ending!

As to the whole "Caskett" thing, all I can say is...
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 09:55 PM   #283
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

voyagergrl3193 wrote: View Post
This show is one of my favorite shows on TV now, besides NCIS. I also loved the first episode as well. Last year's finale really had me going oh crap because I thought that Beckett was done for! I was excited, yet shocked to learn that Castle won a People's Choice Award for best crime show and Nathan Fillion won for best actor in a drama. His speech made me laugh histerically.
What i especially liked that he gave so much credit to the simple workers on any production.. the guys who put up the sets, make the food, clean up afterwards.. invaluable people to any show who get paid a fraction what the main stars get.

That was a class act of him and reinforces my view of him as a decent guy who'd be great to hang out with.. i envy his friends a little to have such a great guy in their group (though my circle of friends has me to fill in the Fillion spot )
Old January 21 2012, 05:15 AM   #284
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

So I presume Castle is the well placed Pawn to take down the King in the end. Given that the Mayor isn't the King I wounder who is.
Old January 21 2012, 05:29 AM   #285
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Probably someone we haven't seen yet. It's possible Kate is the well placed pawn as well given that at the very centre of this conspiracy is her mother's murder. I wouldn't be surprised if whoever is manipulating events would consider her a pawn as well.