Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 19 2011, 10:06 AM   #211
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Dexter

Wow, that had to be one of the dullest season finales I've ever seen-- with one of the most boring ass villains ever. Hey, let's watch Travis sit on a couch! And talk to himself! And walk aimlessly around Dexter's apartment while wearing his shirt!

And of course you knew nothing was ever going to happen to Harrison, so that whole showdown on the roof never had an ounce of suspense to it. (Not to mention the ridiculous idea that Dexter was able to destroy the painting of his face before anyone else saw it? Seriously??)

As for the final seconds, yeah it was a great moment... but the way the writers have seriously undercut Debra's character, I'm kinda scared to see how they have her deal with it next season. Now instead of just being naturally shocked and confused, she'll have all these extra "feelings" getting in the way. And who knows what kind of crazy direction that'll lead to.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2011, 10:08 AM   #212
MichaelDornFan
Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, Dexter killed Travis where... Deb told him to go do police work. Silly writing but I'm glad it finally happened.

Still a crappy season overall. I just hope they don't waste Deb witnessing it like they wasted Rita dying next season.
MichaelDornFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2011, 10:35 AM   #213
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

I've been waiting for that ending for a few seasons! And it feeeels good.
Old December 19 2011, 01:58 PM   #214
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

This is going to be resolved when we find out that Dexter is just one of Debra's passengers and "he's" been a Cop all along... One thought I've had is about Debra's language, is that Harry raised Dexter in his own way, and Doris must have been responsible for instilling Debra's immense vocabulary.

We need some flashbacks about the mum teaching daughter how to cuss.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2011, 07:21 PM   #215
davejames
Vice Admiral

MichaelDornFan wrote: View Post
Still a crappy season overall. I just hope they don't waste Deb witnessing it like they wasted Rita dying next season.
I thought the aftermath of Rita's death was handled about as believably as possible (Unless you're referring to how Dexter's relationship to Trinity was kind of brushed under the carpet by the cops, in which case I'd agree).

As for Debra, there are all kinds of ways they could have her deal with it. She could go into denial, pretending everything is normal for as long as possible. Or she could go catatonic and never leave her house...

Unfortunately it sounds like they want to pursue this relationship idea, so she'll probably just decide "fuck it, I'm in love with him, and he's all I have, so I'm just gonna go along with it."
Old December 20 2011, 12:52 AM   #216
billcosby
Commodore

I wonder if Dex would reciprocate? If she accepts his "monster" within, why not?
I went to junior high school with a couple of dudes each with totally hot sisters. One was related by birth, the other adopted.

The adopted brother found the idea of all his friends ogling over his sister irritating, and regardless of their non-blood relation, he found all the requests at seeing her in the shower nude (to report on her breasts without Chip & Pepper getting in the way) repugnant.

The other dude often voiced his opinion that were he not blood related, he would have absolutely nailed his sister.
Anyway... not useful info maybe but I thought it was interesting considering the trajectory of the current Dexter storyline. Unexpected is almost always a good thing.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2011, 01:42 AM   #217
davejames
Vice Admiral

The problem is I don't think Dexter has ever shown the slightest bit of interest in her that way. Hell, he's often had trouble even being present as a brother, let alone anything else.

Granted, he's not exactly an expert on relationships or the right way to behave, but I would still think even HE would be repulsed by the idea.
Old December 20 2011, 03:35 AM   #218
billcosby
Commodore

I think he would be repulsed by the idea, too.

But... isn't he sort of "new" to physical affection though? It seems like Rita was the first person Dexter enjoying being intimate with. I believe in the first season he mentioned in the voice over that Rita being 'damaged goods' was in many ways advantageous for him since he wasn't interested in sex.

Old December 20 2011, 03:44 AM   #219
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

davejames wrote: View Post
Wow, that had to be one of the dullest season finales I've ever seen-- with one of the most boring ass villains ever. Hey, let's watch Travis sit on a couch! And talk to himself! And walk aimlessly around Dexter's apartment while wearing his shirt!

well it better than seeing John Lithgow naked.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2011, 05:18 PM   #220
LitmusDragon
Commodore

I thought this season was pretty good, probably about on par with Season 3, which was the previous worst "good" season. I wish they hadn't left that thread dangling with intern-guy-whose-name-I-still-don't-know. I was confused by the ending because I thought Deb had told Dexter to go do a sweep of the HOUSE where they found Travis's last painting not the chuch so I was confused why she had shown up there. I guess I was wrong though and she had said the church, which doesn't make a lot of sense in the context of the storyline, and seems pretty careless of Dexter to use as his kill site (but then, his judgment has been pretty off for a few seasons now). Ugh. Anyway, despite that last bit of bad writing, I thought it was a pretty good season and not as gratingly stupid as the 5th one.
Old December 20 2011, 07:01 PM   #221
davejames
Vice Admiral

You'd think he'd at least remember to lock the freakin door first. lol
Old December 20 2011, 11:04 PM   #222
billcosby
Commodore

Just maybe... the part of Deb that wants to be with Dexter is like the part of Dexter that wants Deb to know what he is.

Old December 21 2011, 03:06 AM   #223
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Dexter doesn't want to be with any woman sexually.

The closest he came was with Rita because they shared goals and wanted to live the same life. That's got mostly little to do with sex.

(What about Lumen? Shut up.)

Debra is being an idiot.

Is Harrison really going to call her "Aunty Mommy"?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2011, 04:35 PM   #224
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

What about "Miss Pardon my tits?"
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2011, 04:38 PM   #225
Pingfah
Admiral

This season has been lacklustre. They have ignored some basic rules of common sense in order to make the story work, and really Dexter would certainly have been caught the way he has been acting.

However, I am very glad they finally had Deb find out the truth about him, or some of it at least, and I really look forward to seeing what they do with it next year.