Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 8 2011, 04:07 AM   #151
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: Dexter

Joe Washington wrote: View Post
I doubt it and frankly, I don't care.
Dude, we all know you haven't cared since Season 2.
Old December 8 2011, 06:17 AM   #152
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

Actually it was during Season 4 that I started to care less about the show. Season 3 was actually decent.
Joe Washington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 11:11 AM   #153
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I wonder if Care-Less Care Bear and Careless Care Bear fought in a cage match, who would win and if either of them would give Carless Care Bear a ride back to Careville from the Thunderdome?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 08:12 PM   #154
stj
Rear Admiral

Looking back, Dexter's story reached a climax when his Code and his desires clashed, then he decided to turn himself in rather than kill Doakes. Everything in the Dexter story has been stalling or even retrogression. No wonder it seems anticlimactic.

Changing Harry from a flashback to whatever he is now, in season three, was a key point in the degeneration of the series' writing quality.
Old December 8 2011, 08:22 PM   #155
davejames
Vice Admiral

I forgot he was actually about to turn himself in that season. Wow, that really reminds me of just how intense and highly-charged this show used to be.

Back then, you never quite new what Dexter was going to do, or when he might be exposed. Now it's settled into such a routine, that you know anyone who even comes close to finding out the truth is going to wind up conveniently dead before they can reveal anything.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2011, 12:53 AM   #156
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

so they it ended last week and from what I can tell of this weeks previews.
do you think they are going to kill off batista and deb?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2011, 01:40 AM   #157
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It was weird seeing Deb on the Goodwife last week, but that might mean that she's looking for new revenue streams if she's "leaving" Dexter.

Old December 11 2011, 02:07 AM   #158
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I doubt she's leaving. A lot of actors work on other projects when their show isn't in production. Michael C. Hall has filmed three movies during Dexter's run. The other Dexter actors pop up all over the place.
Old December 11 2011, 02:26 AM   #159
Harvey
Admiral

I hope the Deb/Dexter romance they were suggesting in the TV spot for next week doesn't happen. That's about the worst place the show could go at this point.

I just marathoned the whole season yesterday and today. Hey, I was bored. While it wasn't as bad as I was expecting (season five levels), it has big problems. Namely, Brother Sam was the most interesting character to be introduced this year, and he was offed half-way through the season. Colin Hanks just isn't interesting as the killer (he looks awkward and confused much of the time he's supposed to be menacing), and Edward James Olmos was criminally underused as his Dark Passenger.

Speaking of which, if that twist wasn't obvious to everyone by, say, episode six at the latest, I'll eat my hat. It certainly wasn't the big reveal episode nine tried to sell it as. As interesting as the actual kills have been (not to mention fantastically implausible -- even if Geller had been real there's no way two guys could have pulled of those murders without being seen by a witness or two, especially not in the time allotted) the Doomsday Duo has been the dullest season-long killers up to this point.

Also, I don't know what's going on with the Quinn character, but if the writers think we have any sympathy for the asshole, they're dead wrong. He's just a waste of screen time at this point, and dead weight as a cop. I like the new guy so far, who has been portrayed as confident, but able to make mistakes (i.e. thinking Deb wasn't his new Lieutenant).

The TV spot for next week sure made it look like David Zayas was on his way out. On one hand, that would be disappointing, since even in the midst of all the boring interpersonal story lines they've been handing him he's still the most likable cop (I can't believe two seasons were wasted on his relationship with LaGuerta, only to have it ended off screen between seasons; now we have his never before seen sister suddenly central to his life...remember when he had a daughter he cared about? I know this season has suggested a couple of times that she doesn't make time for her father, but what about in seasons 2-5?).

I don't really see Deb being offed making any dramatic sense; if anything, it would be a practical move, since Carpenter and Hall divorced during season five and it must be hell-a awkward (plus, Hall is an executive producer, and the only character that isn't at all disposable).

The voice over is still horrible (half the time it's Dexter being Captain Obvious for the sake of really, really stupid viewers) and Harry only makes it worse, since he takes over what would otherwise be important voice over, forcing the writers to use Dexter's narration to impart far less essential (or obvious) information.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2011, 03:48 AM   #160
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

"You could even be the Bay Harbour Butcher."

"I ...I am the Bay Harbour Butcher."

was hilarious, but it reminded me of this...

"I signed up for Second Life about a year ago. Back then, my life was so great that I literally wanted a second one. In my second life I was also a paper salesman and I was also named Dwight. Absolutely everything was the same. Except I could fly."

Old December 11 2011, 07:21 PM   #161
davejames
Vice Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
I like the new guy so far, who has been portrayed as confident, but able to make mistakes (i.e. thinking Deb wasn't his new Lieutenant).
Yeah the new detective just got there, and already seems like the most competent one on the force.... which means he will probably be killed in the next episode. lol

The voice over is still horrible (half the time it's Dexter being Captain Obvious for the sake of really, really stupid viewers) and Harry only makes it worse, since he takes over what would otherwise be important voice over, forcing the writers to use Dexter's narration to impart far less essential (or obvious) information.
I thought the voiceovers started out interesting this season, and I got a huge kick out of hearing Dexter's perspective on religion ("Maybe it sounds crazy because it is").

But yeah, by this point it does seem to have turned into a lot of restating the obvious.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2011, 08:21 PM   #162
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Deb's clunge is cursed.

If she sleeps with the new guy, he's dead.

Old December 11 2011, 09:25 PM   #163
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Deb's clunge is cursed.

If she sleeps with the new guy, he's dead.
A bit like Sam Carter.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 07:28 AM   #164
MichaelDornFan
Lieutenant Commander

Wow, the show has been deteriorating for a while, but the incest stuff is a very clear jumping-the-shark milestone for this show. To the point where if they actually explore this plot line further, "Jump the shark" should probably be replaced with "Bang the sister."

And I literally laughed out loud at Travis' beast painting.
MichaelDornFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 09:05 AM   #165
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Great. LaGuerta gets Mathews out and is probably gonna take his place which means I'll have to suffer through her character for another season. Quinn's a total fuck up and needs to get his ass kicked outta here. Batista's still pretty cool but by all rights Travis should've killed him just for his stupidity in getting caught last week. The new cop is ok but we still really don't know him so keep him. I think all three of these characters need to go especially laGuerta and Quinn. The show would be better without them. We need fresh blood.

That Louis guy is weird. I don't get why he's even there. I'm guessing his purpose will be revealed next week. Or are they making him part of next season?