New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 30 2010, 07:51 AM   #1
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

New, 14-disc Ron Jones TNG soundtrack box set!

....hopefully to be released in September!

From the preview announcement from Lukas Kendall himself at Film Score Monthly:

Then probably in the first week or two of September—we hope—is FSM Box 05. This is the long-rumored Ron Jones box set of Star Trek: The Next Generation music. 14 discs, $149.95, limited to 5000 copies—40 complete episode scores, plus some previously unreleased "Best of Both Worlds" cues and Ron's two Interplay computer game scores. All in immaculate stereo. The packaging is in the style of the Rózsa box: the booklet has an introductory essay and track listings (and lots of ST:TNG art), with comprehensive liner notes to be posted online. Did you guys know this was my dream project? I fantasized about putting this together ever since I fell in love with the scores twenty years ago. In fact it was twenty years ago almost exactly that "The Best of Both Worlds" aired.
Link

All I can say is WOW. I've been wanting more of Ron Jones' TNG music for ages. 40 episode scores, plus unused BOBW music! ROCK ON!

Anyone else planning on picking this up?
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2010, 08:26 AM   #2
Vonstadt
Captain

Re: New, 14-disc Ron Jones TNG soundtrack box set!

Actually I love collecting and listening to soundtracks. I loved Jone's work So I will be looking into this myself.

Vons
Old July 30 2010, 01:08 PM   #3
Christopher
Writer

Would be nice to have, but I don't know if I could afford it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2010, 03:09 PM   #4
Tosk
Rear Admiral

A box covering all of Ron's TNG work? I am so there.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2010, 03:35 PM   #5
destructive
Commander

Sign me up!
destructive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2010, 06:52 PM   #6
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Outstanding. FSM hasn't disappointed yet with their ST releases. I'd be willing to shell out for it.

My concerns...
It's a special project for Ron Jones, rather than TNG?
A 14 disc set is fairly huge, you'd think a boxed set that big would include most if not all of TNG in general (rather than one composer only)

And why limited to only 5000 copies?
Arbitrarily limited production in order to make it a "collector's item" rather than easily available media?
Or perhaps market analysis suggested a composer/genre specific set at this price would only yield a few thousand units sold?

It would suck if they finally came out with a great set like this, had fans willing to pay for it, and then find out the 5000 are sold out already. Since it's not even released yet, I hope they have enough to supply all those willing to buy.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2010, 08:09 PM   #7
Christopher
Writer

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
A 14 disc set is fairly huge, you'd think a boxed set that big would include most if not all of TNG in general (rather than one composer only)
Ron Jones scored 42 episodes of TNG. That comes out to three complete episode scores per disc, which seems about right. A box set containing all 178 TNG scores would run to more like 55-60 discs.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2010, 04:21 AM   #8
TV's Frank
Fleet Captain

Outstanding. FSM hasn't disappointed yet with their ST releases. I'd be willing to shell out for it.

My concerns...

Arbitrarily limited production in order to make it a "collector's item" rather than easily available media?
Or perhaps market analysis suggested a composer/genre specific set at this price would only yield a few thousand units sold?

It would suck if they finally came out with a great set like this, had fans willing to pay for it, and then find out the 5000 are sold out already. Since it's not even released yet, I hope they have enough to supply all those willing to buy.
With 98% of the album and box set releases from FSM, they are contractually obliged by the studio to limit the number available. This is the only way these releases actually happen, they don't have a choice and typically the number is around 3000, so having 5000 in this release is bonus and should be just enough. This is simply a fact of the current soundtrack market for older film & TV score album releases - it's either a limited number or it's no release at all whatsoever.

And I think there is much more musical diversity in Ron Jones's music for TNG, allowing for a more winning comprehensive set. Not that I haven't enjoyed much of McCarthy's and Chattaway's scores, but once you've several dozen from them respectively, you've kinda heard them all.
TV's Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2010, 05:36 AM   #9
Whill
Lieutenant Commander

Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, The Whills Universe

Here is a list of Ron Jones soundtracks from IMDB, for reference:

The Naked Now
Where No One Has Gone Before
Lonely Among Us
The Battle
Datalore
When the Bough Breaks
Heart of Glory
Skin of Evil
We'll Always Have Paris
The Neutral Zone
Where Silence Has Lease
The Outrageous Okona
Loud as a Whisper
A Matter of Honor
The Royale
The Icarus Factor
Q Who?
Up the Long Ladder
The Emissary
Shades of Gray
Evolution
Who Watches the Watchers
Booby Trap
The Pricer
The Defector
The High Ground
A Matter of Perspective
The Offspring
Allegiance
Ménage à Troi
The Best of Both Worlds: Part 1
The Best of Both Worlds: Part 2
Brothers
Reunion
Final Mission
Data's Day
Devil's Due
First Contact
Night Terrors
The Nth Degree
The Drumhead
* Opinions are not "flaws". * Why post so much about things you hate?
Whill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2010, 08:37 PM   #10
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Perhaps the push to get this out is from Ron Jones himself? That he wants to see his TNG music available to the public by legal, licensed means. The other composers would be free to do the same, ie. seek a licensing agreement.

5000 is a lot of copies. The ST II, ST III and JJ ST complete scores were also limited editions and seemed to be quite available for several weeks/months beyond the announcement of their availability.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2010, 08:45 PM   #11
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Perhaps the push to get this out is from Ron Jones himself? That he wants to see his TNG music available to the public by legal, licensed means. The other composers would be free to do the same, ie. seek a licensing agreement.

5000 is a lot of copies. The ST II, ST III and JJ ST complete scores were also limited editions and seemed to be quite available for several weeks/months beyond the announcement of their availability.
I agree, 5000 units for this project is pretty optimistic IMO. I'm certain they'll all be shifted eventually - but I don't think anyone should place a "panic" order for fear of a sales stampede!
Old August 1 2010, 08:58 PM   #12
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
The Star Trek II and III re-issues are unlimited. Star Trek (2009) was limited to 5,000 copies and sold out pretty quickly though some specialty soundtrack dealers have a limited supply still.

Neil
Old August 1 2010, 10:26 PM   #13
Harvey
Admiral

5,000 copies is a lot for a box set of this price and specialty focus (television scores for a 20 year old series rather than a film score for a 1-year old feature film). Which isn't a bad thing, since I'd like this, but don't know if I can afford it right now.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2010, 06:40 PM   #14
Basill
Captain

I've been waiting for this for quite a while while the rumors flowed, so I will definitely be snatching my copy.

Visit my Trek Art blog at: http://starstation.wordpress.com/
Basill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2010, 01:22 AM   #15
Trevacious
Captain

Will he tell off Rick Berman in the liner notes?
Trevacious is offline   Reply With Quote