RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,789
Posts: 5,217,727
Members: 24,219
Currently online: 699
Newest member: JediMasterToys

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 11 2011, 11:18 AM   #1
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Did/Is the media cover 9/11 too much?

Just wondering:

Did the media cover the event too much when it happened exactly ten years ago? Did they show the plane impacts too often? Did they give in to overstatement and/ or exaggeration? Did they distort what happened? Did they, instead, not do enough?

Now that it's the anniversary, do you get the feeling they are either not doing enough or doing too much now?

And to what end? We all know what happened. Do we need to have it shoved down our throats? Or is it a good way to recognize the significance of the event?

Sorry.. if my rather pointed questions seem more appropriate for TNZ or if they seem insensitive, I apologize.

But I do think about the event, but lingering on the images accomplishes little.
__________________
97X... BAM! THE FUTURE OF ROCK AND ROLL...
Flying Spaghetti Monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Roger Wilco
Admiral
 
Roger Wilco's Avatar
 
Re: Did/Is the media cover 9/11 too much?

Obviously compared to other things going on in the world 9/11 is way overrated in general, but that's just the nature of US-centrism of American media and the global dominance of American culture. Especially if you're just looking at the "body count".
__________________
Don't be a douche.
Roger Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2011, 02:53 PM   #3
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: Did/Is the media cover 9/11 too much?

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Obviously compared to other things going on in the world 9/11 is way overrated in general, but that's just the nature of US-centrism of American media and the global dominance of American culture. Especially if you're just looking at the "body count".
I think the U.S. media has every right to cover a U.S. disaster/tragedy/terrorist attack any way it sees fit. I also think it's not overrated in the U.S. because it happened here and there's never been anything like it in the U.S. before.

Is the world media covering 9/11 extensively today? I wouldn't know since I live in New York.

If it is, maybe you should be complaining to your local state-run media about U.S dominance of American culture, etc., instead of worrying about what Americans might choose to watch.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2011, 02:58 PM   #4
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain
 
Nerdius Maximus's Avatar
 
Location: Oklahoma City
Re: Did/Is the media cover 9/11 too much?

I do think they exploit it, but people want to see it, so they give the people what they want. Notice, though, that since there's no footage of the plane in Pennsylvania crashing that day, we hardly ever hear about that. It's all about the towers, because they can show you the planes actually crashing into the buildings. Also, the Pentagon rarely gets mentioned.
Nerdius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2011, 03:19 PM   #5
Roger Wilco
Admiral
 
Roger Wilco's Avatar
 
Re: Did/Is the media cover 9/11 too much?

the G-man wrote: View Post
I think the U.S. media has every right to cover a U.S. disaster/tragedy/terrorist attack any way it sees fit. I also think it's not overrated in the U.S. because it happened here and there's never been anything like it in the U.S. before.
Absolutely. I didn't phrase it well, so I understand why my comment could come off as critical, but that's not how I meant it. My point was just that from a purely rational, or you could even say callous perspective, 9/11 was not that big of a deal. Of course considering the cultural impact for the USA it's completely understandable why the media made it such a big deal because people don't see it that way.

Similarly if some mass murderer kills a couple dozen people in a school or something - what's 30 or so dead kids in the big picture? Nothing, but it's a tragedy anyway.
__________________
Don't be a douche.
Roger Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2011, 03:28 PM   #6
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: Did/Is the media cover 9/11 too much?

the G-man wrote: View Post
Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Obviously compared to other things going on in the world 9/11 is way overrated in general, but that's just the nature of US-centrism of American media and the global dominance of American culture. Especially if you're just looking at the "body count".
I think the U.S. media has every right to cover a U.S. disaster/tragedy/terrorist attack any way it sees fit. I also think it's not overrated in the U.S. because it happened here and there's never been anything like it in the U.S. before.

Is the world media covering 9/11 extensively today? I wouldn't know since I live in New York.

If it is, maybe you should be complaining to your local state-run media about U.S dominance of American culture, etc., instead of worrying about what Americans might choose to watch.
The OP asked a question and Roger answered on topic. Calm down, or avoid the thread if it's too difficult for you to discuss the presence of 9/11 in media without letting your emotions take over.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2011, 03:55 PM   #7
1001001
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!
 
1001001's Avatar
 
Location: People's Gaypublic of Drugafornia
Re: Did/Is the media cover 9/11 too much?

I think this is a perfectly fair question. I was wondering that this morning, while reading an article on children who were born to fathers killed on 9/11.

I guess it's hard for me to get a true perspective. On one hand, it was an awful day. A stunning, shocking tragedy. On the other hand, the use of the event afterward for political and economic manipulation gives me serious pause.

I suppose if the current extent of coverage (thanks to the anniversary) leads to something other than crass attempts to sell merchandise and fuel anger at foreigners, then it's worth it. Are we reflecting, ten years on? Have we learned anything? I don't know...

I have an enormous amount of sympathy for those directly affected. The stories I was reading of these kids that never knew their fathers was very touching.

I guess I'm all over the map here. This is a tough subject, with lots of legitimate points of view. My main point is that it is perfectly understandable that one would ask these kinds of questions, and I don't find the asking of them inappropriate or offensive at all.
__________________
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2011, 04:03 PM   #8
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: Did/Is the media cover 9/11 too much?

Sitting here trying to figure out how anyone, anywhere in the world, could imagine that 9/11 wasn't, isn't or shouldn't be a "big deal."

An organized, unprovoked terrorist attack designed to cripple a country's financial structure, military command, and leadership, that did, in fact, succeed in devastating our economy and the airline industry, changing the way do almost everything from airport security down to driver's licensing, and, ya know, murdering thousands of innocent people...

Not a big deal?
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2011, 04:11 PM   #9
1001001
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!
 
1001001's Avatar
 
Location: People's Gaypublic of Drugafornia
Re: Did/Is the media cover 9/11 too much?

Forbin wrote: View Post
Sitting here trying to figure out how anyone, anywhere in the world, could imagine that 9/11 wasn't, isn't or shouldn't be a "big deal."

An organized, unprovoked terrorist attack designed to cripple a country's financial structure, military command, and leadership, that did, in fact, succeed in devastating our economy and the airline industry, changing the way do almost everything from airport security down to driver's licensing, and, ya know, murdering thousands of innocent people...

Not a big deal?
I'm not sure that's the point being made. It was most certainly "a big deal".
__________________
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2011, 04:26 PM   #10
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Did/Is the media cover 9/11 too much?

9/11 is definitely one of those things that I got really tired of hearing about after a while. It's not that it wasn't important; it was, but all the coverage felt like overkill. Not just that, but references to it started seeping into the fictional TV shows I watched at the time, too. It was impossible to escape.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2011, 04:36 PM   #11
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: Did/Is the media cover 9/11 too much?

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Obviously compared to other things going on in the world 9/11 is way overrated in general, but that's just the nature of US-centrism of American media and the global dominance of American culture. Especially if you're just looking at the "body count".
I think the U.S. media has every right to cover a U.S. disaster/tragedy/terrorist attack any way it sees fit. I also think it's not overrated in the U.S. because it happened here and there's never been anything like it in the U.S. before.

Is the world media covering 9/11 extensively today? I wouldn't know since I live in New York.

If it is, maybe you should be complaining to your local state-run media about U.S dominance of American culture, etc., instead of worrying about what Americans might choose to watch.
The OP asked a question and Roger answered on topic. Calm down, or avoid the thread if it's too difficult for you to discuss the presence of 9/11 in media without letting your emotions take over.
My criticism was directed at what I saw as Roger's callousness which he want on to clarify. It seems as if we were able to resolve our dispute without you.

On a related topic, I see that you, like Roger, are posting from Europe. Is it being covered extensively over there? How many hours?
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2011, 04:45 PM   #12
Dac
Commodore
 
Dac's Avatar
 
Location: The Essex wastes...
View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac
Re: Did/Is the media cover 9/11 too much?

It's a big deal. Yes it was horrific. Yes it should be remembered and yes the lives lost that day should be honored appropriately.

However, have certain parties used this event for their own purposes over the past decade? Absolutely. And am *I* sick of this 2 weeks long 9/11 rememberfest that's been going on? Yes.

Sure, let the news cover it, sure, have a few specials on it, but when I was round my nan's house the other day, she had The Jeremy Kyle show on (Essentially Jerry Springer) and he was in new york interviewing victims of 9/11 (First responders and the like) and it ended with a grotesque montage set to Eva Cassidy's "Fields of Gold". I was sitting there in shock at the sheer audacity of this 5th rate pile of shit TV show to have this 4 minute montage featuring shots of the towers falling and survivors crying. It was horrific. THEN This Morning started and we had freaking Lesley Joseph from Birds of a fucking Feather banging on about the decision the president took to shoot down the fourth plane before adding "but of course it was the passengers who brought it down in the end."

I was just sitting there in a completely state of bewilderment at what I had just seen. Sure, I feel some weird shit happened that day but I'm not going to get into that. Today I watched BBC News' coverage of the service at ground zero/the 9/11 memorial and that felt appropriate, I didn't have a problem with that. But when every single show on TV starts voicing their opinion (Especially Jeremy Kyle. Jesus christ) I get a tad pissed off by it all.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2011, 04:55 PM   #13
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: Did/Is the media cover 9/11 too much?

the G-man wrote: View Post
My criticism was directed at what I saw as Roger's callousness which he want on to clarify. It seems as if we were able to resolve our dispute without you.
I'm glad Roger decided to expand on his comment, ignoring your hostility and your not-so-cleverly-disguised snipes for being a commie furriner ("state-run media": really?). He is clearly a better man than I am.

the G-man wrote: View Post
On a related topic, I see that you, like Roger, are posting from Europe. Is it being covered extensively over there? How many hours?
It is pretty much covered in every newscast, and it has been for a few days now, and I saw the ads for several "specials" about it. Obviously, it pops up in fiction as well, especially in tv series produced at the time and for a few years later, which are usually shown at this time of the year. Beyond that, I don't watch much tv nowadays, so there might be even more instances I'm not aware of.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2011, 05:15 PM   #14
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: Did/Is the media cover 9/11 too much?

("state-run media": really?)
Vienna is in Austria. Austria has state-run television (ORF). Austria was, in fact, the last country in Europe to allow private television.

I must admit I do find it ironic that the bulk of the complaints about too much coverage are coming from people in countries where their television is controlled, at least partially, by their government. In the U.S., the coverage is determined largely by what the viewers want (or at least what networks THINK they want). In Europe, the coverage is determined in no small part by what your governments decides to air.

So, yes, if there is too much 9-11 coverage in Europe, the complaint is with your governments for airing the stuff, not with American "dominance" of television.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2011, 05:26 PM   #15
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: Did/Is the media cover 9/11 too much?

the G-man wrote: View Post
Vienna is in Austria.
Wow, no shit? I though not even SHIELD was able to track her whereabouts. You are good.

As for the rest of your post: gubmint bad, America good, shut up you furriner. Par for the course.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.