Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

View Poll Results: Which character do you prefer?
Beverly Crusher 132 64.71%
Katherine Pulaski 59 28.92%
no preference 13 6.37%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 2 2012, 11:33 PM   #91
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Dr. Crusher or Pulaski

Pulaski wasn't a bad character, but I have to agree with those who felt she didn't really fit with the show. Like it or not, TNG had much more of a warm, friendly type of atmosphere where everybody loved each other and got along, and Beverly fit within that perfectly.

Plus I liked the little dynamic between her and Picard. Even if it never went full-boil, you could always sense the concern and affection the two had for each other.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 03:44 AM   #92
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Pulaski treated Data almost as badly as that jerk Maddox from Measure of a Man. That's the main reason I never liked her.
Old August 3 2012, 06:52 AM   #93
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

Josan wrote: View Post
Hmm. We just did this topic a few months ago. Love the votes for Crusher because "she's hot".

Crusher as a character was bland and boring. McFadden as an actress is bland and boring.

Pulaski may be a copy of McCoy but then again McCoy wasn't the only "cranky" character the world has ever known. One could even say that DeForest was playing a copy of a cranky police pathologist when he played McCoy.

I'll take Pulaski over Crusher any day. But then that's because I base my preference on character, not on who may or may not be hot.
Yeah, what he said.

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 08:46 AM   #94
NebulaClassGuy
Lieutenant Commander

Crusher was hotness incarnate, but as doctors, I liked both equally. They both had their good and bad points. It's a shame Crusher never got the amount of dialogue or stories that Pulaski got, but nothing we can do about it now. I voted for Crusher, but I really have nothing against Pulaski.
NebulaClassGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 10:16 AM   #95
Lt_Rowy
Commander

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lt_Rowy

Likewise...i liked them both except that Beverly Crusher had a better bedside manner than Pulaski did...also the Crusher-Picard thing was happening towards the end of TNG...I liked Pulaski dont get me wrong...but I did prefer Beverly.
Old August 3 2012, 12:08 PM   #96
Louigi Verona
Ensign

I would not necessarily compare them. I found Pulaski to be an interesting character. I loved her in The Icarus Factor. I was surprised to read she was unpopular.

Btw, it surprises me to read people think Beverly is hot. Always found her to be very unhot, an image of a middle-aged mother that has all the romance behind her.
Louigi Verona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 04:55 PM   #97
davejames
Vice Admiral

I never thought she was "hot", but she was pretty attractive for her age.

And watching the first season again, I'd say she actually looked kinda cute with that shorter hairstyle she occassionally wore. Shame they didn't keep it that way.
http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...omesoil189.jpg
Old August 3 2012, 05:56 PM   #98
Use of Time
Commodore

I could see a very slow growing relationship with Data and Pulaski over the years had she stayed. She had already showed a learned mutual respect with Worf. It would have been cool to see which characters she would have gravitated torward had she remained the CMO.
Old August 3 2012, 06:26 PM   #99
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

captrek wrote: View Post
Personally, I find Dr. Pulaski to me a more interesting and watchable character than Dr. Crusher.

I know thatís a minority opinion, but I donít know much of a minority. Iím curious how opinion breaks down here.
Crusher. Easy, no doubt, no question.

Pulaski was just a McCoy carbon copy made female, with all the gruff and none of the charm or appeal. Lazy and totally uninteresting.
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 07:17 PM   #100
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Crusher had six seasons to show her character, Pulaski had one. It is easy for me to chose Crusher now, but I think that's a little unfair. I try to remember what I felt about the comparison at the end of season two when it was originally broadcast and tbh I don't think I had been particularly taken by either. First season Crusher was a bit dull and second season Pulaski was gruff. I do believe that had Pulaski stayed she'd have mellowed, become a great friend and admirer of Data and been a classic. However because of what we got over seven seasons Crusher gets my vote. Simple as that.

Great thread necromancy btw!
Old August 3 2012, 10:15 PM   #101
NebulaClassGuy
Lieutenant Commander

I liked the fact that Crusher was fresh and original. Pulaski was a female version of Dr. McCoy... a crusty old transporterphobe who enjoyed teasing the second officer (Data). Nothing original about Pulaski at all. But Crusher was the first time we saw a working single mother on a Starfleet ship, who happened to be a senior officer. The fact that that aspect of her character wasn't fleshed-out well or well enough isn't her fault... it was on the writers and producers. Gates did the best she could with what she was given, IMO. And she was hot.
NebulaClassGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2012, 10:40 PM   #102
davejames
Vice Admiral

And no one did "exasperated" better than McFadden either. I loved every time she would just get completely fed up with someone and need to vent to Picard about it.

She was really good in the dramatic scenes when she had them. It's just a shame most of what she did was deliver medical jargon and technobabble.
Old August 4 2012, 11:19 AM   #103
SillyTilly
Lieutenant Junior Grade

R. Star wrote: View Post
Pulaski treated Data almost as badly as that jerk Maddox from Measure of a Man. That's the main reason I never liked her.
I think thats the main reason I don't like her as much as Crusher. It always irrated me how she treated Data.
SillyTilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2012, 11:49 PM   #104
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

SillyTilly wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
I think thats the main reason I don't like her as much as Crusher. It always irrated me how she treated Data.
I liked how her relationship with Data grew over the course of the season. In the beginning, she treated him as a walking tricorder. As the season progressed, she saw him more and more as a living being. At least, that's the impression I got back in the day.
Old August 5 2012, 12:51 AM   #105
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

Pulaski was an interesting shot in the arm.

She butted heads with almost everyone, and wan't afraid to speak her mind which kind went against the rule there was to be no conflict between the crew.

I thought the episodes showing where she challenged Data's sentience was interesting. She really didn't think he was sentient.

She did make an effort to understand everyone more, especially Data.

She was also pretty funny. Then again, her attitudes may be why some fans didn't get her. She would described as b@$%h by today's standards.

I admit, I am more used to Crusher and her gentle bedside manner.
Nightdiamond is online now   Reply With Quote