RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,716
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 738
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

View Poll Results: Which character do you prefer?
Beverly Crusher 132 64.71%
Katherine Pulaski 59 28.92%
no preference 13 6.37%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 17 2011, 01:42 PM   #76
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Re: Dr. Crusher or Pulaski

My girl Bev, of course. I like Pulaski, too, but Beverly's the one for me.
Old November 23 2011, 01:44 AM   #77
Bones_McCoy21
Commander

I don't know I voted for Crusher. I guess because Her relationships with the others can be uncomfortable.
Old November 23 2011, 02:44 AM   #78
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

I liked Pulsaki. Someone who could tell the Captain what she thinks and also, the part I love most, is openly criticize the Prime Directive, which was absurd by the time of TNG, like in Pen Pals and so on.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2011, 02:52 AM   #79
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

UnknownSample wrote: View Post
I really liked Pulaski, and thought she was just one of many improvements in Next Gen in season two. She has far more life and spirit in her than Crusher, who just came across as neutral in personality. Pulaski was intellectually curious and adventurous. I like the moment where she does the tea ceremony with Worf and injects herself with antidote so as to "enjoy" the poison in the tea with him.Pulaski was not similar to McCoy except for her problem with transporters. I think people must be connecting her intolerance toward a synthetic being, Data, with McCoy's irritation with Spock. Data and Spock aren't equivalent. It makes sense that someone whose life work is biology might not find it easy to accept a non-biological being as a real person.I'm nuts for Diana Muldaur in just about anything she's done, in the 60s and 70s anyway. Besides having a great "presence", she's also insanely attractive in those earlier roles. In the 80s she did this unfortunate thing with her hair, that put an end to that... I was very disappointed when Crusher came back.
You pretty much said all that I was thinking.

She was not a bad looking woman during the 1980's, either, though the Rue McCallahan hair that a lot of woman over 35 had in those days had to go. Plus in "When Silence Has Lease", which is one of my favorite episodes, she was the only one, with exception to Worf's willing to take the chance of not being on Negelem's death list, I think, who had the most realistic reaction to Picard's choice of blowing up the ship, bluff or no bluff.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2011, 03:12 AM   #80
Dr. Crusher
Lieutenant Commander

View Dr. Crusher's Twitter Profile

It would have been nice to catch up with Pulaski at some point later in the series. Was there ever anything mentioned about where she had gone after leaving the Enterprise?
Dr. Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2011, 04:50 AM   #81
mr.peany
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mr.peany

I dont believe so. She may have appeared in some TNG novels. But no mention in the actual television series.
http://unoland.myminicity.com/
mr.peany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2011, 02:50 AM   #82
Newspaper Taxi
Captain

I've been trying to put into words why I prefer Crusher over Pulaski -- even though I realize Pulaski is a bit more dynamic of a character. In the end, I'd say it's this: Picard is the ultimate father figure, and Dr. Crusher is the mother figure. I think that adds to the overall feeling of family among the crew and fits the tone of TNG better. Pulaski's more like the cranky aunt or the mother-in-law or something of Enterprise.

I know in some of the TNG-relaunch books set after Nemesis they experimented with adding characters that had a more tense relationship with one another but I flet that was out of place, too. TNG isn't DS9 and shouldn't be written as if it were.
Old December 4 2011, 05:54 PM   #83
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

spockrocks wrote: View Post
I never liked Diana in any role she played including Dr. Pulaski.
I thought she was fantastic as Rosalind Shea on LA Law,
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2011, 05:11 PM   #84
JRS
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to JRS

Beverly Crusher absolutely
I honestly did never care much of Pulaski and found her slightly annoying also. The Bones II factor did not really suite well to TNG universe. Nothing against the actress, though.
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2011, 02:13 AM   #85
DataLoreSpock
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to DataLoreSpock

Dr. Crusher of course!
The masses agree too because Dr.Pulaski bad mouthed Data. Well most of the masses. I like Dr.Crusher because she has a zing to her. As seen in the episode The Enemy and The Defector. She zings Worf when she is checking Admiral Jarok's injuries while saying that they have come across some Romulan anatomy. Pulaski does not appreciate Data at all.
She mispronounced his name and said that their was no difference between the correct pronounciation and the incorrect one.
DataLoreSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2011, 02:28 AM   #86
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I know why they couldn't have Pulaski and Crusher on the Ship at the same time.

It was the homoembargo.

But they're probably both just bi enough to totally be into one another.

Why wouldn't they?

Now I hear you saying, but what about that episode with the Trill who Bev turned down the opportunity to much a little carpet with, because ironically her worldview was a little too inside the box?

This is good.

If Bev and Katie couldn't help but throw themselves at each other if they had ever got in a line of sight, then that means that the reason Bev passed on that Trill is not becuase she's afraid of vaginas romantically, but because she's not into blondes.

See!

Bev isn't a homophobe after all!

Squee!

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2011, 04:52 PM   #87
James R
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Beverly Crusher for me.
James R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 09:35 PM   #88
timtonruben359
Lieutenant

Thanks to the blu rays I've just finished re-watching season 1. It's been so long since the series aired I almost forgot Dr. Crusher was written out in the second season. I have to say I prefer Beverly only because she seemed to fit in with the other characters better than Pulaski. With Pulaski it was clear they were trying to make female Bones. The problem is Bones was gruff but really a down home country guy at heart, Pulaski was just gruff. The writers made the fatal mistake of trying to reinvent the Bones/Spock dynamic with Pulaski and Data but the problem was Pulaski was just plain rude to Data referring to him as it and just a machine.

That being said I actually think Diana Muldaur is a better actress than Gates McFadden. Muldaur gave a rather two dimensional character a lot of personality. It says something that 25 years later we're still talking about it. Now, I'm not saying McFadden was a terrible actress far from it. Certainly in the [few] episodes that Crusher was center stage she gave some good performances but she was a bit stale at times.

They really shouldn't have written Crusher out of the show in the Second Year it was too unrealistic that she'd leave her 15 year old son to fend for himself on the Enterprise. It all worked out for the best though. Diana Muldaur has stated she only did TNG as a personal favor to Gene Roddenberry and that she hated her time on the show. Apparently with the exception of Michael Dorn and Patrick Stewart she was treated pretty shabby by the rest of the cast who were all upset over Gates McFadden's firing (yes, Gates was fired from the show as a result of some sort of feud between her and Producer Maurice Hurley). Diana apparently left on her own accord, she never signed a full contract (which is why her name was never in the main credits).
timtonruben359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 10:12 PM   #89
los2188
Commander

Dr. Crusher is a pretty handsome woman. Hard to go against that. I know, I know...so superficial.
Old August 2 2012, 10:46 PM   #90
Use of Time
Commodore

Crusher easily, but it would have been interesting to see how the Pulaski character developed if their roles were reversed and we got six years of Diana instead.