Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

View Poll Results: Which character do you prefer?
Beverly Crusher 132 64.71%
Katherine Pulaski 59 28.92%
no preference 13 6.37%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 22 2011, 08:09 PM   #31
Alrik
Rear Admiral

Re: Dr. Crusher or Pulaski

I chose Crusher, but to be honest, not by much.
Alrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2011, 09:05 PM   #32
Vasquez Rocks
Commodore

I didn't mind Pulaski, but I much prefer Beverly. Her scenes with Picard are one of the things I love about the show. Such great chemistry between the two which I really missed seeing during the second season.
Vasquez Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2011, 10:17 PM   #33
Cakemixo
Lieutenant

I picked Crusher. Pulaski irritated me on many levels.

Mostly because when she insulted Data it was like kicking a puppy.
Cakemixo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2011, 03:25 AM   #34
Basill
Captain

I adore both of them, for totally different reasons of course. As much as I hate choosing favorites, I went with Pulaski, and if for no other reason than Crusher got more mileage.

Visit my Trek Art blog at: http://starstation.wordpress.com/
Basill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2011, 07:54 PM   #35
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

Went with Pulaski this time. Much stronger character, capable of challenging Picard, builds a rapport with Data(which everyone forgets) and Worf - is about as much as rip on McCoy as Data is on Spock (which is to say, only on certain archetypal levels), and....yeah, Pulaski.
I'd like to see a poll like this in which participants are expressly forbidden from voting for Crusher because she's pretty. We'd still have had Troi, and honestly, the Picard-Crusher love plot could have been much more, ahem, fleshed out, with Crusher off the ship.
Keep Pulaski, kill of Wesley, bring Crusher back for a romance with Picard: everybody wins.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2011, 01:55 AM   #36
Eckauskas
Lieutenant Commander

Beverly Crusher.

I can't pinpoint why, but I did like her a lot more.

She was kinda hot too.
Eckauskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2011, 07:04 AM   #37
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

CaptainStoner wrote: View Post
Keep Pulaski, kill of Wesley, bring Crusher back for a romance with Picard: everybody wins.
Old September 26 2011, 01:09 PM   #38
Admiral Shran
Admiral

CaptainStoner wrote: View Post
I'd like to see a poll like this in which participants are expressly forbidden from voting for Crusher because she's pretty.
Personally, I voted for Crusher because I like her MUCH more as a character. Pulaski just rubs me the wrong way (not just because of her interactions with Data). Her whole personality and character just don't do it for me.

And the fact that Crusher is much more attractive is just an added bonus, IMHO.

Old October 7 2011, 12:53 PM   #39
Anika Hanson
Captain

There was nothing wrong with the Pulaski character but she didn't fit the show or the crew.
Old October 7 2011, 02:48 PM   #40
Dr. Crusher
Lieutenant Commander

View Dr. Crusher's Twitter Profile

Although admittedly a Crusher fan, I didn't completely dislike Pulaski. I thought she was a very interesting character, and, there is a part of me that would have liked to see how she would have developed on the show--perhaps going from Data's naysayer to one of his closest friends?

I liked her character because I thought that she had depth, just a different kind of depth that I think was more welcoming to the viewers--there was a touch of awkwardness about her that made her very real to me. Her relationship with Picard was interesting and sadly left out of everything after the end of the series. I think I admire her the most for being the one of the first women on a Trek show who was hired to play a smart, confident, woman who was actually allowed to wear a regular starfleet uniform AND even a labcoat. Whoa--revelation there.
Dr. Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2011, 05:55 PM   #41
RaymondJames
Captain

Dr. Crusher wrote: View Post
Although admittedly a Crusher fan, I didn't completely dislike Pulaski. I thought she was a very interesting character, and, there is a part of me that would have liked to see how she would have developed on the show--perhaps going from Data's naysayer to one of his closest friends?

I liked her character because I thought that she had depth, just a different kind of depth that I think was more welcoming to the viewers--there was a touch of awkwardness about her that made her very real to me. Her relationship with Picard was interesting and sadly left out of everything after the end of the series. I think I admire her the most for being the one of the first women on a Trek show who was hired to play a smart, confident, woman who was actually allowed to wear a regular starfleet uniform AND even a labcoat. Whoa--revelation there.
I pretty much agree with you. Also, even the smalllength of time we had Pulaski she did seem to evolve. She was very harsh on Data when she first arrived but somewhere along the way she seemed to see him more like an advanced life form and not so much like a walking tricorder. On another point, I don'tthink she was the first intelligent and confident woman in a starfleet uniform. Tasha was a pretty damn confident officer and I wouldn't be so quick to say she wasn't that smart. Also, though it wasn't the winning pilot, Number One in the first TOS pilot was confident, ballsy and intelligent. On another note, Uhura developed in the films to be pretty confident perhaps even cunning.
Old October 7 2011, 07:40 PM   #42
Dr. Crusher
Lieutenant Commander

View Dr. Crusher's Twitter Profile

RaymondJames wrote: View Post
On another point, I don'tthink she was the first intelligent and confident woman in a starfleet uniform. Tasha was a pretty damn confident officer and I wouldn't be so quick to say she wasn't that smart. Also, though it wasn't the winning pilot, Number One in the first TOS pilot was confident, ballsy and intelligent. On another note, Uhura developed in the films to be pretty confident perhaps even cunning.
I think my rather flawed grammar in my previous statement gave the wrong impression--a rouge "the" was accidentally inserted in a line that was meant to say "one of the first women," and I certainly had Tasha in mind what I qualified that statement.

I agree that Uhura was developed well past her TOS role in the films. I very much enjoy watching her. However, it is a challenge to get past the fact that...well, look at her uniform in the 1960s. Clearly Ms. Nichols is very intelligent and talented, and she drafted those characteristics into her character without a doubt. However, I feel a disservice is done to the earlier women in Trek because none of them actually wore pants. I mean, how can you go on an away mission in a skirt like that? Agreed that the TOS films did change this trend.

I also find it interesting that the designers of TNG tried to remedy that by creating "unisex" uniforms that were skirted, seen on both men and women in the first season (I'm not sure that even lasted the full first season). TNG not only brought in intelligent women, but actually covered them up in something amounting to a regular uniform from the start. I'm glad we saw even more of this in DS9 and Voyager, too, however I'm not sure that any uniform, no matter how conservative, would have worked to Seven of Nine's advantage in this capacity.
Dr. Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2011, 07:49 PM   #43
Lor'Vela
Captain

I have a preference for Pulaski. By the end of season two I find myself hoping she would have stayed on for another season.

What I like about Pulaski over Crusher is that she seems to have greater passion and dedication and did what she thought was best, even if it meant going against Picard. I'd certainly prefer her as my doctor, given the choice.

Also Pulaski strikes me as a "proper" doctor, as in knowing that her place is always in sickbay tending to her patients. Too often in Star Trek, CMOs have this habit of being armed with phasers and shooting things. I just can't picture Pulaski with a phaser rifle like Crusher and Bashir have been known to carry.
Old October 7 2011, 07:56 PM   #44
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Beverly
Old October 8 2011, 01:37 AM   #45
RaymondJames
Captain

Dr. Crusher wrote: View Post
RaymondJames wrote: View Post
On another point, I don'tthink she was the first intelligent and confident woman in a starfleet uniform. Tasha was a pretty damn confident officer and I wouldn't be so quick to say she wasn't that smart. Also, though it wasn't the winning pilot, Number One in the first TOS pilot was confident, ballsy and intelligent. On another note, Uhura developed in the films to be pretty confident perhaps even cunning.
I think my rather flawed grammar in my previous statement gave the wrong impression--a rouge "the" was accidentally inserted in a line that was meant to say "one of the first women," and I certainly had Tasha in mind what I qualified that statement.

I agree that Uhura was developed well past her TOS role in the films. I very much enjoy watching her. However, it is a challenge to get past the fact that...well, look at her uniform in the 1960s. Clearly Ms. Nichols is very intelligent and talented, and she drafted those characteristics into her character without a doubt. However, I feel a disservice is done to the earlier women in Trek because none of them actually wore pants. I mean, how can you go on an away mission in a skirt like that? Agreed that the TOS films did change this trend.

I also find it interesting that the designers of TNG tried to remedy that by creating "unisex" uniforms that were skirted, seen on both men and women in the first season (I'm not sure that even lasted the full first season). TNG not only brought in intelligent women, but actually covered them up in something amounting to a regular uniform from the start. I'm glad we saw even more of this in DS9 and Voyager, too, however I'm not sure that any uniform, no matter how conservative, would have worked to Seven of Nine's advantage in this capacity.
Ah,got you now. Oh I fully agree, TOS female uniforms were so sexist as were the roleswomen were given. Nurse, Communications, or the classic secratary yeoman. Iwon't say it was fully sexist as we did see guests that were scientist and such. One great thing was when there were TOS novels after the show ended and the female writers really let women shine