Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 15 2011, 12:45 AM   #61
DrCorby
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Abrams Commits To Direct

malchya wrote: View Post
I, for one, am thrilled to hear the news. Was Abrams Trek perfect? Nope. Did it exactly coincide with my personal "vision" of what Trek is or should be? Not even close. Did I enjoy the film despite the differences between the released product and my own view of where I would like Trek to go? Yes.
This is pretty close to how I feel, as well. Not all that I was hoping it would be. But am I looking forward to seeing what the new movie will do? Absolutely!!

Just like after previous movies that didn't hit the mark with me -- I always hope for better next time. But there were certainly things to like about it. And XI certainly wasn't Nemesis or The Final Frontier...
Old September 15 2011, 01:03 AM   #62
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
It's somewhat ironic that Roddenberry made Trek to be accessible for nearly everyone, but the ones that most often invoke his name do so because they don't want it to be for everyone ("Where's MY Trek? Why should it appeal to the masses? Why does money have to matter?").
This.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2011, 01:10 AM   #63
Dream
Admiral

Abrams will destory Earth in his next Trek film...
Old September 15 2011, 01:39 AM   #64
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Garak wrote: View Post
Hopefully JJ brings his up tempo, distinct style back in full force and we're treated to the adventure of a lifetime that will further make us forget how bland and boring the old Trek was in comparison.
Your join date is 2004. What the hell have you been doing here?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2011, 02:00 AM   #65
datas_cat_spot
Captain

Well it's about time they got underway.
Old September 15 2011, 02:02 AM   #66
mswood
Rear Admiral

Of course I had problems with aspects of the story. I hated, hated the Puffy hand bite, I hated the star going nova destroying a planet outside its own system and the red matter being the two issues that just annoyed me to no end.

But the spirit of the film is in my opinion the closest we have ever had for a film to classic TOS.

I am hoping this time (and without a writers strike to prevent rewrites and fine tuning) that the script is even sharper this time.

As for the delay while I would have liked a three year break (I think 2 really does push it, as there isn't a trio of films that are written at different times (ie that excludes LOTR) or based strongly off of previous material (There goes Potter) that has had three quality films in a row.

The other plus is one of the complaints about the film is the cast being a little too young. Well hear we have 4 years added. Works for me.
Old September 15 2011, 02:20 AM   #67
The Stig
Rear Admiral

DrCorby wrote: View Post
malchya wrote: View Post
I, for one, am thrilled to hear the news. Was Abrams Trek perfect? Nope. Did it exactly coincide with my personal "vision" of what Trek is or should be? Not even close. Did I enjoy the film despite the differences between the released product and my own view of where I would like Trek to go? Yes.
This is pretty close to how I feel, as well. Not all that I was hoping it would be. But am I looking forward to seeing what the new movie will do? Absolutely!!

Just like after previous movies that didn't hit the mark with me -- I always hope for better next time. But there were certainly things to like about it. And XI certainly wasn't Nemesis or The Final Frontier...
The science was certainly dumber than usual but what really grabbed me is just how much of a love letter Trek '09 was to Trek '66. From the way that the Enterprise was introduced, to the faithful uniforms to the way that the light fell on Pike's face when he sat down in the captain's chair the same way that it did for Shatner all those years ago, it was amazing how much of TOS was referenced and utilized for the new movie.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2011, 02:34 AM   #68
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

What's a "Puffy hand bite?"
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2011, 02:41 AM   #69
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

I assume that's when Kirk's hands got swollen, and McCoy kept saying "I can fix it" or whatever. Personally, I thought that whole running gag was pretty funny.
Old September 15 2011, 02:44 AM   #70
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Oh, the "vaccination reaction" with Kirk's hands.

I thought the gag alone was just kind of funny - Bones's attitude and dialogue made the scene one of my favorites, though.
Old September 15 2011, 02:52 AM   #71
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
Tidus79001 wrote: View Post
“Abrams Trek” does not represent the fans that made Star what it was prior his hijacking the entire Star Trek universe.
It pleases me, and I've been a Trek fan since 1966.

BTW, what Trek was "prior to his hijacking it" was...canceled.

Tidus79001 wrote: View Post
It gives me great pain to say this but I would rather see Star Trek die...
Outvoted at the box office by those of us who still enjoy it, I'm afraid.
Yup. Its not just box office, it sold more tickets than any other ST movie, almost 40 million of them!!! I don't see most pre-JJ fans abandoning anything. The handful that did, cannot change and grow and probably don't need to move on with the franchise..they can stay and play their dusty DVDs to their heart's content.

RAMA
Old September 15 2011, 02:52 AM   #72
datas_cat_spot
Captain

The gag was silly, but then again so was TOS at certain times. Didn't seem out of place to me.
Old September 15 2011, 03:07 AM   #73
RAMA
Vice Admiral

mswood wrote: View Post
Of course I had problems with aspects of the story. I hated, hated the Puffy hand bite, I hated the star going nova destroying a planet outside its own system and the red matter being the two issues that just annoyed me to no end.

But the spirit of the film is in my opinion the closest we have ever had for a film to classic TOS.

I am hoping this time (and without a writers strike to prevent rewrites and fine tuning) that the script is even sharper this time.

As for the delay while I would have liked a three year break (I think 2 really does push it, as there isn't a trio of films that are written at different times (ie that excludes LOTR) or based strongly off of previous material (There goes Potter) that has had three quality films in a row.

The other plus is one of the complaints about the film is the cast being a little too young. Well hear we have 4 years added. Works for me.

To be fair, I think the writers were thinking of a hypernova(which if close enough could harm Earth with radiation...though would not shatter the planet), but simplified it so the audience wouldn't get confused. At least that's what it appeared from Orci's own mouth over at trekmovie.

datas_cat_spot wrote: View Post
The gag was silly, but then again so was TOS at certain times. Didn't seem out of place to me.
It was a little on the silly side, but unlike STV, which had gags galore--exceedingly bad ones--the gag had me and others I saw it with laughing hysterically.

RAMA
Old September 15 2011, 03:28 AM   #74
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Dennis wrote: View Post
Oh, the "vaccination reaction" with Kirk's hands.

I thought the gag alone was just kind of funny - Bones's attitude and dialogue made the scene one of my favorites, though.
I was laughing my ass off that whole scene. So if there's a reason for me to dislike STXI, it's because I had to go out and buy a new ass. A better ass, to prepare for the next movie.
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2011, 04:43 AM   #75
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
[I had to go out and buy a new ass.
This is not a bad place to window shop, really.