RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,688
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 898
Newest member: Stevie Trek

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 12 2012, 06:56 PM   #91
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos
Re: Vesta class bridge??

yes the Captain has her own chair...

I wasn't sure about having the First Officer's chair the same style with control display built in, i was thinking a free standing one would be better as it could be used by him sat down, or moved between him and the Captain to share information...

Looking at shows like Voyager and TNG, they're forever leaning over each other's consoles to look at information and passing padd's between themselves on the bridge... having a console between the two would let them both use it to bring up information from the various ships systems and access controls from there, while the Captain would still have her own controls to use seperately

M
Old January 12 2012, 07:20 PM   #92
Christopher
Writer

^Yeah, but as Dave says, it makes more sense to make it a 2-sided console so the captain can share the info with the XO without needing to swivel the whole thing around. And there is precedent -- remember the 3-sided viewscreen in the TOS briefing room?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 07:23 PM   #93
Methos

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

hmm yeah, that might be better... either a a 2 sided console or something like that...

also had a thought about where i've marked for the 'holocommunications'... strictly speaking that doesn't need to be there does it... i mean, the Aventine has holoprojectors throughout the ship, just like the Prometheus did... so having a dedicated 'projector' on the bridge when the EMH can just walk around randomly seems a bit silly lol

M
Old January 12 2012, 07:34 PM   #94
Christopher
Writer

I think having a holocommunicator "stage" is useful for clarity if nothing else, so you can tell the difference between a person whose holo-image you're seeing and one who's actually on the bridge in person.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 07:54 PM   #95
Methos

true... also could be linked direct to communications, not through the ships holographic system... just having a redundency incase the holographic emitters are down then they can still use the holocommunicator

M
Old January 12 2012, 09:25 PM   #96
captcalhoun
Admiral

that's easy, just make the holo-communicator projections blue with vertical rolling lines.

or put an H on their forehead.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 09:39 PM   #97
Methos

heh... that could work...

30 seconds manip lol

M
Old January 13 2012, 04:25 AM   #98
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Clawhammer wrote: View Post
Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
So...if those two disks in the exterior shot aren't turbo-shaft tops...what are they?
I designed them as endcaps for the 2 turbo shafts.
I love it when I'm right....

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."

Last edited by Rush Limborg; January 13 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2012, 01:00 PM   #99
Methos

pretty happy with that floor plan now...

going to try and do a 3D version at some point... if i can get my head round it lol

textures are easy, but the actual mapping... no clue where to start lol

M
Old March 30 2012, 08:34 PM   #100
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Clawhammer wrote: View Post
I use 3ds Max for both interior and exterior.

I like to use Mental Ray (comes with 3ds Max) as the interior renderer, because it's fast and has a set of excellent stock materials.

It has been at least 3 years since I last made an interior and I learned a ton in that time. Hmm.....
Can't believe I missed this before--I love the design here!

Clawhammer...did you intend for this to be the captain's quarters, or...?

Old March 30 2012, 08:52 PM   #101
Relayer1
Commodore

The command chair is a long way back from the main viewscreen - I hope he/she can see !
Old March 31 2012, 04:37 AM   #102
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

^Maybe it's IMAX!

Old August 31 2012, 10:17 PM   #103
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Arise, O thread!

Sorry about this, folks, but...

Methos, I was wondering when you were going to do the image of the bridge. Have you gotten around to it, yet?

Looking forward to it, when it's up!

Old August 31 2012, 10:36 PM   #104
Methos

lol a full photo style image or a 3D mockup...

I've never fully got the hang of 3D modelling sadly, or i'd be game for it

M
Old September 1 2012, 12:38 PM   #105
Markonian
Captain

In the next Aventine adventure I'll mentally try out Methos's bridge. Previously, I envisioned Voyager's bridge, but with blue-accentuated white layout.
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote