Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 11 2012, 10:24 PM   #76
Clawhammer
Commander

View Clawhammer's Twitter Profile
Re: Vesta class bridge??

I kind of like the layout here, and I think you are doing a great job with the limited resources you had for this Methos!

I do have some small remarks though: It seems the most important stations are in front of the captain. In case of emergency/chaotic situations, a lot of information will come from 1 direction. I would, in that light, go for a more "surrounding the captain" kind of layout. Because of the direction of the voice, he/she would already know what station is talking. (At least after a couple of days on the bridge.)

Stairs: I still believe they are a safety hazard on any bridge, same goes for these bulkheads, I know they are part of the (Prometheus?) template you used, but one violent hit that goes beyond the inertial dampers and the crew will break their puny little necks because of them. (At least a skull fracture, no? Some nosebleeding perhaps?)

Forget the Borg, the Hirogen, the Gorn, a ship will take the most damage from a writers mind. It's a brutal force and there is hardly any shielding against it, they always find a damn way to break it! (Actually that's ok, keeps me busy refitting stuff.) Some good things come from their minds as well, like books you cant put down and have to keep reading.

Anyway: overall I like it, the lifts and doors might not entirely match the exterior of the current bridge module, but it can be swapped out. (Assuming it is indeed on top of the ship.) Check this image for the outer layout. I always thought that the conference room was located behind the viewscreen. (giving a forward panorama.) The module break line is also visible here. If I had time I would 3D your version but I currently have my hands full. (Voyager refit.)

Have fun!

- Mark
Old January 11 2012, 10:26 PM   #77
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Just center the holocom, and it'll look superb. As for the gap to Ezri's right...well, that's actually good to leave as is. The "gap" could be where a relief shift comes in for communications, and tactical. Or it's where Ezri goes when she need to be somewhere, while Sam's console is "out".

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."

Last edited by Rush Limborg; January 11 2012 at 10:43 PM.
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2012, 10:38 PM   #78
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
Yeah, just center the holocom, and it'll look superb. As for the gap to Ezri's right...well, that's actually good to leave as is. The "gap" could be where a relief shift comes in for communications, and tactical. Or it's where Ezri goes when she need to be somewhere, while Sam's console is "out".
thats what i was thinking... a sort of 'path down' to talk to Ezri and give reports and such...

M

Clawhammer wrote: View Post
I kind of like the layout here, and I think you are doing a great job with the limited resources you had for this Methos!

I do have some small remarks though: It seems the most important stations are in front of the captain. In case of emergency/chaotic situations, a lot of information will come from 1 direction. I would, in that light, go for a more "surrounding the captain" kind of layout. Because of the direction of the voice, he/she would already know what station is talking. (At least after a couple of days on the bridge.)

Stairs: I still believe they are a safety hazard on any bridge, same goes for these bulkheads, I know they are part of the (Prometheus?) template you used, but one violent hit that goes beyond the inertial dampers and the crew will break their puny little necks because of them. (At least a skull fracture, no? Some nosebleeding perhaps?)

Forget the Borg, the Hirogen, the Gorn, a ship will take the most damage from a writers mind. It's a brutal force and there is hardly any shielding against it, they always find a damn way to break it! (Actually that's ok, keeps me busy refitting stuff.) Some good things come from their minds as well, like books you cant put down and have to keep reading.

Anyway: overall I like it, the lifts and doors might not entirely match the exterior of the current bridge module, but it can be swapped out. (Assuming it is indeed on top of the ship.) Check this image for the outer layout. I always thought that the conference room was located behind the viewscreen. (giving a forward panorama.) The module break line is also visible here. If I had time I would 3D your version but I currently have my hands full. (Voyager refit.)

Have fun!

- Mark
First of all, thanks

ok, i do agree that you'd have a lot of important information flowing from directly in front of the captain... i think that's a tradeoff between a good and a bad thing though... it'd take the Captain a bit to get used to, but once she is then she's not twisting her neck to look around the bridge, standing up or looking around to see someone, they're all there in front of her ready to give information at a glance...

stairs... yeah i already knocked out a 3 step that was in front of the Captains chair... it'd either mean replacing the side stairs with ramps, that would cut into the side areas pretty heavily, or do away with the lead into the pit altogether and have everyone come pact the captains chair to get in and out...

I hadn't seen that zoom of the Aventine before... if that's right then yeah, the doorway i have leading to the conference room could just be a small curved corridor leading around so the conference room was directly in front of the bridge...

Aww thanks anyway

thanks for the notes as well... still something to work on

M
Methos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2012, 10:44 PM   #79
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Hmm...as for compatability with the exterior--

I'd say, put the two turbolifts where you have seats 10 and 12--move the consoles down, accordingly--and you'll be in gear, fitting it in with the exterior. (The two silver-red rings behind the apparent bridge section look like turboshaft tops). The giant circle would fit nicely over the forward curve of your bridge design.

Old January 11 2012, 10:47 PM   #80
Methos

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

hmm yeah, that could work... so the turbolifts would be at the far back of the bridge, with the two leadoff doors to the front sides...

hmmm i'll have a play and see what that ends up looking like

M
Old January 11 2012, 11:50 PM   #81
Christopher
Writer

The turbolifts shouldn't be right next to each other. You want some separation between them, so that if something damages one of the lifts, the other one will probably still be okay.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 12:50 AM   #82
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

So...if those two disks in the exterior shot aren't turbo-shaft tops...what are they?

Old January 12 2012, 02:08 AM   #83
JD
Admiral

Just center the holocom, and it'll look superb. As for the gap to Ezri's right...well, that's actually good to leave as is. The "gap" could be where a relief shift comes in for communications, and tactical. Or it's where Ezri goes when she need to be somewhere, while Sam's console is "out".
Methos wrote: View Post
Yeah, just center the holocom, and it'll look superb. As for the gap to Ezri's right...well, that's actually good to leave as is. The "gap" could be where a relief shift comes in for communications, and tactical. Or it's where Ezri goes when she need to be somewhere, while Sam's console is "out".
thats what i was thinking... a sort of 'path down' to talk to Ezri and give reports and such...

M
Ah, good point. I hadn't thought of that.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 09:11 AM   #84
Clawhammer
Commander

Methos wrote: View Post
I hadn't seen that zoom of the Aventine before... if that's right then yeah, the doorway i have leading to the conference room could just be a small curved corridor leading around so the conference room was directly in front of the bridge...
M
Yeah I also liked the idea of a small corridor. I btw rendered that shot for this thread, its the original model.

So...if those two disks in the exterior shot aren't turbo-shaft tops...what are they?
I designed them as endcaps for the 2 turbo shafts.
Old January 12 2012, 10:48 AM   #85
Methos

oh wow, you must have amazing software to render stuff like that...

can i ask what 3D software you use to model the interior?

i've never used any 3D style software before aside from Poser, and that's pretty basic level...

M
Old January 12 2012, 11:24 AM   #86
Clawhammer
Commander

I use 3ds Max for both interior and exterior.

I like to use Mental Ray (comes with 3ds Max) as the interior renderer, because it's fast and has a set of excellent stock materials.

It has been at least 3 years since I last made an interior and I learned a ton in that time. Hmm.....
Old January 12 2012, 11:34 AM   #87
Methos

interesting... i'll have a look at 3ds Max then... see what i can pull together myself lol

so here's the bridge, reworked from suggestions made and your render showing the hull around...

1. Captains Chair
2. First Officer;s Chair
3. Communications
4. Tactical
5. Panoramic viewscreen (Curved)
6. Helm / Conn
7. Operations
8. Engineering
9. Turbolift
10. Science
11. Astrometrics / Sensors
12. Master systems display
13. Slipstream Control
14. Security
15. Environmental
16. Captains Ready Room
17. Conference Room
18. Holocommunications

So i've changed Slipstream Control (13) and Environmental (15) to freestanding wall stations, as they're not 'active' stations but more extensions of the Science Station... they won't be used for huge periods of time, so seating at those stations isn't vital to the bridge...

Changed the layout of a few doors and turbolifts so they match up to the render you gave (Big thank you there...)

Moved Security (14) to the side of the Bridge, this way he has a full view of the bridge across the pit , the door closest to him is the Captain's Ready Room, so he doesn't have to worry about intruders coming out there, leaving him full view of both turbolifts and bridge area at all times...

Moved Science (10) and Astrometrics (12) to directly behind the Captain, either side of the MSD (12), as the Vesta is an exploration class, it makes sense to have these close to the Captain and First Officer...

Hope people are happy with that layout

M
Old January 12 2012, 06:46 PM   #88
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

Just a quick thought: maybe that console between the captain and the XO could be double-sided, so that each of them has a command console facing them. It could be two angled surfaces on a shared base, making a it look like a black-glass Toblerone box. That way the two senior officers can confer discreetly while facing each other and reviewing the same information on their respective consoles.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 06:49 PM   #89
Methos

I was thinking more like a 'swivel' style console, so it could be 'swung' between the Captain and First officer... we know the Captain's Chair has a console to the right of it, built into the chair for her use... so i was thinking a second console between the Captain and First Officer for them to both use and pass information through...

like Sam could bring up information from the Astrometrics lab on it, read it, and then swivel it around for Ezri to see, while pointing out parts on it...

Make sense?

M
Old January 12 2012, 06:53 PM   #90
Christopher
Writer

^All I can see in response to that idea is a tug-of-war between the captain and first officer when they're both trying to read the console at the same time. What's the point? Having just one console they have to share is needlessly frugal when you've got all this hyperadvanced technology.

Besides, don't most command chairs have some displays and controls built into the arms anyway?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote