Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 11 2012, 06:13 PM   #61
Christopher
Writer

Re: Vesta class bridge??

Good design. But shouldn't there be more than one turbolift? Or at least a door leading to a corridor? Pretty much every Starfleet bridge design since 1973 has had at least two exits. How about putting the ready room directly opposite the conference room, forward of the starboard lift, and making the aft door on the port wall a corridor access? Most post-TNG bridge designs seem to put the ready room on the starboard side.

As for the slipstream console on the bridge, I can accept that there would be separate warp and slipstream consoles, but they would be engineering stations, intended for monitoring and maintenance, not helm control.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2012, 06:28 PM   #62
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

ok how does this look... extra turbolift on the opposite side of the bridge, moving the conference room away from the Captain's ready room to the other side of the ship...

1. Captains Chair
2. Communications
3. Tactical
4. Panoramic viewscreen (Curved)
5. Operations
6. Helm / Conn
7. Engineering
8. Turbolift
9. Science
10. Astrometrics / Sensors
11. Master systems display
12. Slipstream Control
13. Security
14. Dedication Plaque
15. Captains Ready Room
16. Conference Room
17. Holocommunications

M
Methos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2012, 06:46 PM   #63
JD
Admiral

Very cool. I'll definitely be keeping this in mind next time I read an Aventine story.
Old January 11 2012, 06:50 PM   #64
Methos

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

thanks...

now if i only knew anything about 3D software to build it lol

M
Old January 11 2012, 06:52 PM   #65
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

A question:

I love the design, BUT...hasn't Communications been merged with Tactical since TNG?

Also...there are two consoles, I noticed, that haven't been labeled. Out of curiosity, what are they?

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2012, 07:02 PM   #66
Methos

i know several bridge designs have seperate consoles for Tactical and Comminucations, but some have them seperate... seems to be completely random... the Prometheus had seperate consoles, and since that was the last 'designed' ship that i can think of, i went by their standards...

yes, i had 2 extra consoles at the front... i haven't got anything in mind for them yet... i did have but it went out of my mind for some reason lol

M
Old January 11 2012, 07:15 PM   #67
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Might I suggest "Environmental Control", for one? I think that one's been something of a tradition.

Also--I think someone else brought this up, but--Sam Bowers (Ezri's first officer) needs somewhere to sit, I think....

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2012, 07:21 PM   #68
Methos

environmental control... yeah, that should be there...

and i wasn't sure about the first officer... i'm thinking the first officer needs to be near the Captain but working as an inbetween for her and the rest of the crew... possibly by the slope and the holocommunications... not quite sure...

there definitely wasn't anywhere for first officer on the Prometheus, and wasn't on the Defiant either... have to think about this one...

M
Old January 11 2012, 08:16 PM   #69
captcalhoun
Admiral

the first on the Defiant tended to man one of the side stations, where O'Brien was when he had a bridge station or where Bashir or Worf might lurk. depending on who the hell was manning the bridge and who had command since it varied wildly.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2012, 08:45 PM   #70
Methos

ok hows this looking...

added the extra doors as needed and the slope down into the 'pit'... thought about where the 'number one' would be, thinking on the Captain's left with a flat panel between them, that way they can both use it and 'swivel' it between them to pass information...

good, bad, fugly?

M
Old January 11 2012, 09:02 PM   #71
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

^ Looking good. Maybe someone will write a "bridge refit" into an upcoming book to make future descriptions of the Aventine's bridge track with this...

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2012, 09:03 PM   #72
captcalhoun
Admiral

good
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2012, 09:08 PM   #73
Methos

thanks guys...

really wish i knew anything about 3D software so i could model it properly...

M
Old January 11 2012, 09:11 PM   #74
JD
Admiral

What about either moving the Captain's Chair to the left a little, or sliding both chairs over? IMO it looks a little weird with one chair on the right, but then a big gap to the left.
Old January 11 2012, 09:19 PM   #75
Methos

i wanted to keep the captains chair central, gives a nice line of sight straight down to all the major consoles and across to the viewscreen...

not sure about the number one's chair yet... that's just an idea for now...

or do you mean where i've got the holocommunications circle thingie... that is supposed to be central, haven't fixed it yet lol

M