MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 29 2011, 12:12 AM   #31
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Vesta class bridge??

Trek has moved away from pure efficiency before, with the lounge-like Enterprise-D bridge, Voyager's bridge or the larger, cluttered nuTrek one. Sometimes you suspend disbelief and look at the cool visuals. It's a pretty slight variation on the theme, IMO. Characters can get around and the captain can still see what's going on.
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2011, 08:31 PM   #32
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

The captain should have a clear earshot to everyone he needs to get information from. On this Vesta bridge, what if everyone in front of the CO chair were all those people? Then it would be fine.

On the E-D bridge, same thing. No one from the aft stations needed to communicate with the CO, so they were tucked away behind him and out of eyesight (at least until Geordi moved to the basement and they specialized an Engineering station for him for when he got lonely). In fact, in "A Matter of Honor" they explicitly state that the aft station peons are supposed to relay their findings to one of the bridge officers that the CO could actually hear easily. Makes sense to me.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2011, 12:47 AM   #33
TheAlmanac
Writer

View TheAlmanac's Twitter Profile

In the Destiny trilogy, Bowers is described as having his own seat (since he has his own "armrest display" with information he can transfer to Captain Dax). Where do you envision his seat if it's not in the centre of the bridge?

The History of Things That Never Were
TheAlmanac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2011, 05:01 AM   #34
nickyboy
Fleet Captain

I came across this image a while ago, this is how I was picturing the bridge of the Aventine while reading Typhon Pact.

http://www.startrekdb.se/skepp/bilde...ine_bridge.jpg

Romo Lampkin - The Son Also Rises
nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2011, 05:07 PM   #35
Cybersnark
Lieutenant Commander

See, I've always pictured the Aventine bridge as a "redress" of the Enterprise-E bridge (since the Vesta and Sovereign designs are so similar in terms of size and mission profile).

So, basically the Ent-E bridge, with two seats in the centre (instead of three), and with tactical moved to port and science to starbord (this last just for variety).
Old September 30 2011, 05:15 PM   #36
Clawhammer
Commander

View Clawhammer's Twitter Profile

In style and colors I want to go more into this direction:
http://www.ewe-squad.com/panotest/

However I would not make it as "neon" as this is. But this was a recreation area, so it could be a bit more over the top.
Old September 30 2011, 06:29 PM   #37
Christopher
Writer

Clawhammer wrote: View Post

However I would not make it as "neon" as this is. But this was a recreation area, so it could be a bit more over the top.
Err, all I get is a big grey rectangle.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2011, 06:54 PM   #38
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

You're fired.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2011, 09:04 PM   #39
Admiral

TheAlmanac wrote: View Post
In the Destiny trilogy, Bowers is described as having his own seat (since he has his own "armrest display" with information he can transfer to Captain Dax). Where do you envision his seat if it's not in the centre of the bridge?
In the seat I'd have to make massive changes to my design in order to fit in
Old September 30 2011, 09:06 PM   #40
Admiral

nickyboy wrote: View Post
I came across this image a while ago, this is how I was picturing the bridge of the Aventine while reading Typhon Pact.

http://www.startrekdb.se/skepp/bilde...ine_bridge.jpg
That just looks like a bland Voyager set redress to me.
Old September 30 2011, 11:54 PM   #41
Clawhammer
Commander

David Mack wrote: View Post
You're fired.
I know, I know! 1950's supersweet colors, way too Kindergarten to be used on the Aventine's Bridge. MUST BE MORE SERIOUS!!! Where is that Joker smiley when you need it.

I can design a bridge according to your specifications, would be rather nice to do a panorama shot of that too. We needs it....my preciou... I mean: your specifications.
Old October 2 2011, 06:32 PM   #42
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post

Err, all I get is a big grey rectangle.
Same here.

Edit: Nevermind, it finally loaded.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2011, 07:40 PM   #43
Mage
Commodore

David Mack wrote: View Post
You're fired.
I know, I know! 1950's supersweet colors, way too Kindergarten to be used on the Aventine's Bridge. MUST BE MORE SERIOUS!!! Where is that Joker smiley when you need it.

I can design a bridge according to your specifications, would be rather nice to do a panorama shot of that too. We needs it....my preciou... I mean: your specifications.

It would be fantastic to see you do a design of the Vesta-class bridge, but first.... we want to see your new Voyager!! I've been checking out your blog just about every day to see something new.
Old October 4 2011, 10:32 AM   #44
Clawhammer
Commander

Mage wrote: View Post

It would be fantastic to see you do a design of the Vesta-class bridge, but first.... we want to see your new Voyager!! I've been checking out your blog
just about every day to see something new.
Yes, sorry about a lack of updates on Voyager, a lot is going on. For now I moved Voyager (ouch ouch ) lower on the list, to work on Demeter first.

I find some features on Voyager to be challenging in terms of Quantum Slipstream. I want to improve these sections (for QS) but I'm still thinking about solutions. Before I do any more modeling, I want to solve that first.

So for now it's Demeter, working on this ship helps me understand curvature a bit better and might give me some insight that I can later apply to Voyager.

Anyway Vesta Bridge:

I always imagined the most important stations in a circle around the captain & commander. Another station set would be at the rear, just liked on the D and almost as traditional as on the D (Black LCARS.) However less prominent and
more like a backup system.

Station information can be displayed in a form of eye tracking projection. I'm avoiding direct brain in/output as it would be rather boring for the tv show viewer, even if it will be common practice sooner than later. Anyway this eye
tracking projection system would avoid sparking/exploding displays and give the bridge a less cluttered appearance.

Important information for all bridge crew can be projected on the main viewscreen, that is about 10 times wider and 3 times less high then it used to be. (It runs across a large part of the bridge) It can be divided into "lcar" zones for specific information during busy situations, or just give a huge starry background panorama. I still think a screen is a very efficient way to get information accross. 2 other great ways are speech and a smooth running team.

The MSD (if any) should be holographic and 3 dimensional, way easier to pinpoint damage or problems that way. Does not have to be on all the time and should not be in the command circle's view. Nothing as distracting as something
spinning around or blinking.

You wont see transparent glass panels with projected info. I think they would be outdated. (That technology is already available.)

The colors are flat neutral greys that wont age quickly.
"Soft/Smart" walls will avoid injury. Lights will still state the alert level. The overhead structure is X shaped and walks down to support 4 doors. 2 in the rear for the turbo lifts and 2 in the front that lead to the ready and briefing room.

The blob above is still forming in my mind, it's kind of curious. These textual "tours" do help a lot. I never described but always sketched what I meant, that kind of confined my initial ideas. With text it's different, the mental image is not replaced by a sketch, but remains untouched
until I can fully put it in 3D. Never thought about it that way. Very cool.
Old October 5 2011, 09:11 PM   #45
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

For fun, I quickly sketched an overhead view based on this... Two questions arose:

1) Two stations up front for con/ops, or one? A single station seems to be more popular toward the end of the TNG era (Nova, Intrepid, Defiant..) and though Vesta is a "larger" ship, its advanced technology suggests less people in charge of driving it.

2) Assuming a holographic MSD, would it simply be free-floating and projected as needed, or atop an MSD table as we had on Defiant, NX class, etc.?

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote