RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,410
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 561
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 12 2011, 08:34 PM   #1
Mage
Commodore

Vesta class bridge??

Silly question perhaps, but is there a schematic/floorplan of the Vesta class bridge out there?

I know it's not technically a Lit-question, but I was just curious. Mostly because from the stories with Vesta's sofar, I keep getting the idea that there's only a Captain's Chair on the bridge, and nothing for the XO. And I find that odd, since the only late 24th century ships we've seen with no XO chair was the Defiant.
Old September 12 2011, 09:43 PM   #2
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Re: Vesta class bridge??

I don't think there is anything in existence, fanfade or otherwise... what kind of descriptions exist, from the books?

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2011, 09:47 PM   #3
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Also, isn't the bridge not on deck one,l but in the super structure of the primary hull?

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2011, 01:07 AM   #4
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I don't know if the thread's still around, but this came up briefly before. Clawhammer posted a panoramic picture of a crew lounge with a similar white/blue colour scheme he envioned for the bridge.

I always imagined it being long and thin - a reflection of the shape of Aventine itself. The consoles lining the long (and curving) side walls. A step up to the captain's chair in the center. A colour scheme along the lines of the STIV Enterprise/VOY Prometheus/2009 Enterprise but applied to Enterprise-E "props" and wall panels. A Defiant-style helm.
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2011, 01:20 AM   #5
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

That sounds cool. I'd love to see something different like that for a change.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2011, 05:05 AM   #6
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain

I could be wrong, but didn't Zero Sum Game have a little bit of a description? I got the sense that there isn't an XO chair, and that Bowers (being a bit of a stick in the mud) kind of like it that way.
Old September 13 2011, 10:55 AM   #7
Mage
Commodore

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
I don't know if the thread's still around, but this came up briefly before. Clawhammer posted a panoramic picture of a crew lounge with a similar white/blue colour scheme he envioned for the bridge.

I always imagined it being long and thin - a reflection of the shape of Aventine itself. The consoles lining the long (and curving) side walls. A step up to the captain's chair in the center. A colour scheme along the lines of the STIV Enterprise/VOY Prometheus/2009 Enterprise but applied to Enterprise-E "props" and wall panels. A Defiant-style helm.
That sounds pretty good. I might try and sketch up a floorplan, something simple, like this with some things I had in mind.
Old September 13 2011, 09:18 PM   #8
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Please do! Havn'e seen a bridge sketch in some time. I always felt that a ship like Aventine should have a bridge which looks "fast", as the ship should be. I had somethign in that vein a while back, but the sketches are buired int eh basement and the online version died with Geocities...

No fault to the writers, but I often find that "hero" ships in the literature should have more than a cursory "Captain Riker arrived on the bridge of the Titan and sat in his command chair" sort of introduction to a bridge. In Trek, the bridge is where the characters spend much of the critical time in a given story; it should be properly described.

From the various starships that have appeared on shows, it's easy to work our memory of a Constitution, Excelsior or Galaxy-class ship's bridge (or any other set, really) into many of the novels, but I'd like to have something more to go on in the series that have ships we know little about visually. Nothing Tolkeinesque in the level of detail, but as the OP stated I'd love to know if the XO even has a chair or not!

Mark

Old September 14 2011, 01:48 AM   #9
JD
Admiral

Yeah, it would be helpful to get a better idea of what's going on in some of the scenes if we got more details on what the bridges look like.
Old September 14 2011, 09:14 PM   #10
Mage
Commodore

Hey guys, have been pretty busy the last two days, but I'll try and sketch up something before/in the weekend.
Old September 14 2011, 09:14 PM   #11
Mage
Commodore

Hey guys, have been pretty busy the last two days, but I'll try and sketch up something before/in the weekend.
Old September 15 2011, 02:31 AM   #12
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

Mage wrote: View Post
Can't wait to see it. Will be even happier with stories more of the Aventine's Adventures.

Last edited by CaptainDonovin; September 15 2011 at 02:32 AM. Reason: speling erroor...
CaptainDonovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2011, 03:21 PM   #13
Mage
Commodore

Don't expect an amazing colorcoded schematic made in ps or something, it's going to be simple, just a floorplan to give some idea of what I think the bridge could be like, inspired by kimgdaniel's idea of a stretched look.
Old September 16 2011, 10:45 PM   #14
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Looking forward to it.

Mark

Old September 18 2011, 01:53 PM   #15
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I've found my old Star Trek: Elite Force II editing stuff, installed it and the game on my new PC and am building my concept in 3D. I'll post pics if the results are presentable.
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote