Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old September 15 2011, 12:30 PM   #16
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Deep Space Nine DVD on Blu-Ray Quality issues

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Usually, HDTVs have better upscalers than players do, anyway.
Quite right, but not with this puppy!
Old September 20 2011, 10:53 PM   #17
HGN2001
Commander

I would also suggest turning off any motion smoothers on your HDTV when watching any of the latter-day Treks.

Motion smoothers are designed to make film motion look smoother, and some say it gives film material a "soap opera" effect, making motion look almost too smooth and not film-like.

Even though TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT were all basically filmed, they were post-edited in the video realm, which is why it's taking so long to upgrade them to HDTV. And it is this video realm which causes problems with motion smoothers on video-edited shows. I've noticed on my TV that the effect is like a sudden jerky effect where something moving will skip back or forwards a frame or two. It's very noticeable on scrolling credits.

Harry
HGN2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 07:49 PM   #18
HGN2001
Commander

Irony of ironies...

I've just replaced our old rear-projection/LCD television with a new, larger LED/LCD and all of a sudden I've got this judder problem on DEEP SPACE NINE. I messed with motion control settings until I was blue in the face, and no matter what I did, every time there was an outer-space scene, or a scene with credits or any other form of video processing, like phaser blasts, Odo morphing, whatever, the motion would get all jerky-looking.

So, like a good soldier I referred to the Internet, put "DS9 Jerky motion" in the search engine, and it led me to this thread - and I was the last poster in it! My advice from two years ago was fine for my universe at the time, but in truth, the answer I was looking for was earlier in the thread.

I too have a Sony Blu-ray player and I went in, shut off the BD-DVD-ROM 1080p setting and all was fine. This is great - I was looking into using an older DVD player just to run my DS9 discs, but this has fixed it. Thanks to all upthread for the answer.

Harry
HGN2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 05:13 PM   #19
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

HGN2001 wrote: View Post
Motion smoothers are designed to make film motion look smoother, and some say it gives film material a "soap opera" effect, making motion look almost too smooth and not film-like.
I don't know who thought eliminating jutter was ever a good idea. "Hey, I got an idea! Let's have the option to make this quality motion picture look like it was filmed with an 80s camcorder! It'll be the next big thing!"
HGN2001 wrote: View Post
Even though TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT were all basically filmed, they were post-edited in the video realm, which is why it's taking so long to upgrade them to HDTV.
That's actually not the case with ENT.
Old July 16 2013, 07:44 PM   #20
Mage
Commodore

Hm, haven't checked DS9 yet since I have a BR player, but I do notice that my dvd's look better when I set the video on my Philips BluRay player on Native instead of Automatic. In Native settings, it takes the resolution of the source disc. There will always be some upscaling, but not nearly as bad as when you set the video to Automatic (meaning it'll choose both the highest resolution on both your player and TV) or outright 1080p setting.
Old July 16 2013, 08:35 PM   #21
MacLeod
Admiral

Can't say I've noticed anything when I've played my DSN DVD's via my BR player.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote