New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Karen Gillan
Thumbs Up 144 84.21%
Thumbs Down 10 5.85%
Thumbs Sideways 17 9.94%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 13 2011, 01:59 PM   #106
Sci
Admiral

Re: Karen Gillan: Babe of the week #37 (Sept. 2011)

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post
Depends. Would it literally make me nauseated if I tried to kiss her because her breath would smell awful? Would her car cause me to have a horrible allergy attack every time I'm in a room with her?
Please note that I'm saying this with a lot of respect and brotherly affection,
Uh-huh.

but you're a bit of a wimp, aren't you?
I had no idea that involuntary physical reactions like allergy attacks that leave me incapable of properly breathing constituted wimpery. Here I was, thinking that being a wimp was a matter of lacking courage or physical strength, not of involuntary reactions.
Old September 13 2011, 02:15 PM   #107
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

I had no idea that involuntary physical reactions like allergy attacks that leave me incapable of properly breathing constituted wimpery. Here I was, thinking that being a wimp was a matter of lacking courage or physical strength, not of involuntary reactions.
Hey, I don't want to harp on you here, because it's obviously a bit of a sore point, but to my uninformed self your strange reaction to smoke sounds like a first world problem.
Old September 13 2011, 02:47 PM   #108
Fang66
Lieutenant Commander

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Your fallacy is that liberal=intelligent by default.
yes it is just a correlation not causation although the reverse case may be causation.
Fang66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2011, 04:12 PM   #109
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Hey, I don't want to harp on you here, because it's obviously a bit of a sore point, but to my uninformed self your strange reaction to smoke sounds like a first world problem.
There should be a definite emphasis on "uninformed self" in your sentence here.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2011, 04:20 PM   #110
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Ethros wrote: View Post
I don't like seeing girls smoke either. I would say I wouldn't date a girl who did, but hey, I can't afford to be that picky
Just do what I did: look vaguely uncomfortable and slightly disapproving whenever the GF lights up. She quit after 6 months.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2011, 04:48 PM   #111
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
It can still be surprising because it's 20-fucking-11 and you'd think that the knowledge of smoking's drawbacks would be well-known enough that it'd be a lot less common in modern-day actors...
There are a lot of activities with potential dangers - cocaine use, casual sex, etc - that a lot of people nonetheless continue to engage in, with such activities generally being even more prevalent in the entertainment industry than in society at large.

I'd rather actresses and models not smoke for their own good, but since I'm, sadly, not going to be locking lips with them it doesn't matter a whit in terms of whether I find them attractive in pics or on screen.

As for Karen Gillan, I generally like redheads with very pale skin, but she doesn't quite ring my bell. She's cute, but only measures a thumbs sideways on my celebrity babe scale based on her pics (I've never seen her act in anything).
Old September 13 2011, 04:53 PM   #112
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Have you ever kissed a woman who has just had a cigarette? It is fucking gross. I dated one girl who smoked when I was 16 and I never did it again.
Savage Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2011, 05:30 PM   #113
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
There should be a definite emphasis on "uninformed self" in your sentence here.
Hey, I really thought I put it as delicately as I could, but if you really want to go there, well, maybe you're right. I'm the first to admit that perhaps, Somalians and Haitians spend their time complaining about their allergies. I don't think they do, I think those things are mostly a matter of perspective and psychological resilience, but what do I know?
PsychoPere wrote:
Not that much, apparently.
Well, alright.

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Have you ever kissed a woman who has just had a cigarette? It is fucking gross. I dated one girl who smoked when I was 16 and I never did it again.
Yes I have and I didn't think it was that big of a deal. Great kiss, in fact.

Come on guys? What's with all the hypersensitive whiny nonsense all of a sudden? I'm sure we are all equipped to face that kind of problem with dignity, aren't we?
Old September 13 2011, 05:48 PM   #114
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I don't know where the "Not that much, apparently. " came from, but I expect you to remove my name from it since I didn't post it.

My younger sister has allergy and asthma issues that sound very similar to Sci's, particularly in relation to asthma attacks triggered by inhalation of smoke. She has a nebulizer, an inhaler, and a rescue inhaler. To call such problems a matter of "psychological resilience" is ignorant and condescending.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2011, 05:54 PM   #115
BigFoot
Admiral

Depends. Would it literally make me nauseated if I tried to kiss her because her breath would smell awful? Would her car cause me to have a horrible allergy attack every time I'm in a room with her?
Please note that I'm saying this with a lot of respect and brotherly affection, but you're a bit of a wimp, aren't you?
At least he's not being a dick.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2011, 05:59 PM   #116
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Yoda wrote: View Post
I wouldn't date a woman who smoked, but for the purposes of these threads it seems like it would be way too much work to try to factor it into a thumbs up/down situation.
Look.. I know my thoughts on the matter are completely superficial... And I know that a lot of the hollywood types smoke... But until I see it for myself, off-screen, I can live in my perfect little world where hot women don't smoke.

It's troubling to me, to see the actors we saw as kids do it.. For instance, Daniel Radcliffe.. Such a cute little kid my kids grew up with as Harry Potter... To see him smoke in real life is disappointing, and disappointing for my kids to see. I'm no Hanna Montana fan by any means, but my daughter sure was. And to see Mylie Cyrus do what she does now is disconcerting, to say the least...

Should I get over it? Yes... They are adults and they can do what they want... But on a personal level, it will always be disappointing to see, and will effect, at least superficially, how I perceive them...

On edit: I second what the Seeker said... I dated a girl who smoked for a very short time in college and while she was cool and all, it was pretty damn gross. My loss, but oh well...
Old September 13 2011, 06:01 PM   #117
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
I don't know where the "Not that much, apparently. " came from, but I expect you to remove my name from it since I didn't post it.
It was a little joke. Of course you know that.

My younger sister has allergy and asthma issues that sound very similar to Sci's, particularly in relation to asthma attacks triggered by inhalation of smoke. She has a nebulizer, an inhaler, and a rescue inhaler. To call such problems a matter of "psychological resilience" is ignorant and condescending.
I'm sorry for your sister, and I bet she faces that problem with dignity and a sense of perspective that I'm sure we all wish we had.
Old September 13 2011, 06:08 PM   #118
cultcross
Say my name...

OK, and this is aimed at everyone in this thread: tone it down. The insults are beginning to fly and that's not going to continue. I get that smoking can be an emotive topic, but if it can't be discussed civilly in the context of the thread topic, take the discussion to TNZ please. The topic is Karen Gillan, not other posters' perceived shortcomings.
Old September 13 2011, 06:14 PM   #119
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

BigFoot wrote: View Post
Please note that I'm saying this with a lot of respect and brotherly affection, but you're a bit of a wimp, aren't you?
At least he's not being a dick.
Touché.

You know, all I wanted to say here, and obviously I've been very awkward and ham-fisted, is that from time to time it's nice to keep a stiff upper lip and maybe not focus on our little problems quite so much. It's great to be sensitive and open about what you feel, but being brave and have a sense of perspective is great too. We all have to find the right balance. Obviously I've hurt people's feelings in this thread, which is ironic considering what we've talked about, but hey, I sincerely apologize.
Old September 13 2011, 07:23 PM   #120
captcalhoun
Admiral

i just wonder if these alledged pix of Ms Gillan smoking were of her smoking off-camera or were her smoking as part of a role, considering she recently did a thing about the model Jean Shrimpton set in the 1960s...

either way though, Amy Pond doesn't smoke... so...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote