Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old December 25 2013, 12:39 AM   #121
Push The Button
Captain

Re: The absolute worst captain in Star Trek

Newton wrote: View Post
ichab wrote: View Post
Captain "Not until Tuesday" from Generations. What a complete boob.
Seconded. Sure, they wanted to show Kirk's experience but how did that man ever rise to the rank of captain? He was totally incapable of making a decision and couldn't come up with a good idea to save his life. Yet they made him the captain of the Enterprise!
He was basically Cameron all over again...
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2013, 07:18 AM   #122
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Morpheus 02 wrote: View Post
BigKrampus wrote: View Post
Mr Silver wrote: View Post
ST09 introduced us to strong, calm and competent captains. I think that's one thing TOS purists cannot deny as a good thing.
What are you talking about?
He's talking about Robeau and Pike.
No, I mean, why is he claiming ST09 "introduced us" to strong, calm and competent captains? That's hardly an innovation of nuTrek. I liked Bruce Greenwood's Pike -- he was warmer and more personable than the original article -- but he was hardly more strong, calm or competent. Robau was great for all four minutes of his living screen-time, but I wouldn't call him more strong, calm or competent than many another guest command officer in TOS (say Robert Wesley) or TNG.

Last edited by BigJake; December 25 2013 at 07:29 AM.
BigJake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 05:15 PM   #123
siskokid888
Fleet Captain

Trevacious wrote: View Post
Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Styles in Star Trek III, everything about him screams dumbass.
He walked around with a Swagger Stick!
In the novelization, they state he took that off a Klingon in hand to hand combat. So he was somewhat of a badass, at least in the books.
"Enterprise, starship, the places you've been to, the things that you've shown us, the stories you tell, Enterprise, starship we sing to your spirit and the beings that have served you so long and so well"
siskokid888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 05:57 PM   #124
Richard Baker
Commander

Captain J.T. Esteban of the Grissom.
I know he was in command of a science vessel with pink bridge chairs, but when that science ship found something (which was why they were there in the first place), he just looked confused and had to pass it up the chain of command before making any decisions.
When Klingon ship decloaked right behind his ship and was arming weapons, his urgent command to save his ship was to order them to "Prepare for evasive maneuvers"??? PREPARE for?- How about 'Raise Shields' and 'Bank Left'? Two separate commands to two different bridge officers, either of which could have bought enough time to warp away and save his crew.
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 07:11 PM   #125
TheSubCommander
Captain

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
Captain J.T. Esteban of the Grissom.
I know he was in command of a science vessel with pink bridge chairs, but when that science ship found something (which was why they were there in the first place), he just looked confused and had to pass it up the chain of command before making any decisions.
When Klingon ship decloaked right behind his ship and was arming weapons, his urgent command to save his ship was to order them to "Prepare for evasive maneuvers"??? PREPARE for?- How about 'Raise Shields' and 'Bank Left'? Two separate commands to two different bridge officers, either of which could have bought enough time to warp away and save his crew.

To be fair, Grissom was not a combat ship. Not much more than an overgrown shuttle craft for science studies, really. So its captain can't be held to the same standard as a captain of a capital ship. Esteban probably just didn't have the training, even if he was an ass. So this is as much a fault of starfleet as anything. If Genesis was such a top secret planet that warranted a quarantine, why wasn't a couple of cruiser ships (Constitution or Miranda class) posted nearby, while the Grissom conducted its studies? Starfleet should have foreseen that the Klingons or some other Empire just might get wind of a new planet being created, after destroying a billions year old nebula, and freak out when the find out Genesis torpedoes can destroy as well as create (as Kruge did).
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 07:17 PM   #126
The Wormhole
Admiral

^^Of course, that would have created a plot hole: why didn't said cruisers intercept the Enterprise before it reached Genesis?
Old December 27 2013, 08:07 PM   #127
TheSubCommander
Captain

No more a plot hole than a damaged ship crewed by 5 people making a return trip to Genesis in a matter of hours that it took weeks,(if not months) to make to Earth, while crewed by nearly 500 people.

Be that as it may, if Grissom just had been scaled up some and had a little more teeth to it, it would have made more sense, but it definitely was a Starfleet error not to post a more powerful ship than Grissom.
Old December 27 2013, 08:52 PM   #128
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

I'm going to have to agree with the OP - Ronald Tracey.

Harriman was inexperienced, which is no crime, everyone is at some point. Esteban was a stickler for protocol - might have lacked some imagination, but that is actually a plus when performing certain tasks, too. And even though I LOATHE Janeway, she never tried to kill her crew or loose space nazis on everyone - she was "only" guilty of dereliction of duty.
Old December 27 2013, 08:58 PM   #129
TheSubCommander
Captain

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
I'm going to have to agree with the OP - Ronald Tracey.

Harriman was inexperienced, which is no crime, everyone is at some point. Esteban was a stickler for protocol - might have lacked some imagination, but that is actually a plus when performing certain tasks, too. And even though I LOATHE Janeway, she never tried to kill her crew or loose space nazis on everyone - she was "only" guilty of dereliction of duty.
Tracey was straight up the most corrupted, though Ransom (captain of Equinox) gives him a run for the money.

Harriman, on screen, is a mystery as to how he became captain in the first place. LT Saavik did better at te beginning of TWOK in the simulator. In the books (if you want to go by them), supposedly he became a decent captain, but then there was the Tomed incident that ruined his career and reputation.
Old December 27 2013, 09:00 PM   #130
Reanok
Commodore

Captain Styles in Star trek 3 the man was an egotistical jerk. I was glad that Scotty sabotaged the ship so Enterprise could rescue Spock and Saavik from the Genesis planet.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 09:39 PM   #131
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

TheSubCommander wrote: View Post
Harriman, on screen, is a mystery as to how he became captain in the first place.
I think the idea was that he was SERIOUSLY intimidated by the presence of Captain Kirk, Scotty, and Chekov. Since these are men who saved THE UNIVERSE *multiple times* and we rarely see them given the proper respect for it (the TNG episode "Relics" was just out and out disgraceful), I didn't mind seeing some awe there.

On top of that, Harriman had to be aware that two previous captains of ships called Enterprise (Decker and Spock) had relinquished command to Kirk on what ended up being a permanent basis for one reason or another - both of which amounted to death, really. (Yeah, I know, Decker didn't DIE, but he also no longer exists as Will Decker.) So, that doesn't help instill confidence.

AND, there were all those reporters and cameras. Starfleet trains for things like the Kobayashi Maru - I'm not sure how much training they get for press junkets and addressing large groups that aren't under one's command.
Old December 28 2013, 05:52 PM   #132
Morpheus 02
Commodore

My justification with Grissom & lack of other capital vessels.... it might be presumed that Klingons and/or Romulans or others are monitoring events...

Grissom shouldn't be on anyone's radar, so Starfleet could get the info they need without controversy. Just a standard science survey, no different than dozens already going on.

"hidden in plain sight"
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 09:32 PM   #133
Anika Hanson
Captain

Archer.
Old December 28 2013, 09:53 PM   #134
Mage
Commodore

I still feel Archer is attacked for no reason. Everybody complains how he has no experience with dealing with the unknow. It's Earth first warp 5 ship, actually going out there! How can anyone have any experience with it?

I say Styles, mostly because he's a dick. Harriman... I see how people get that he's a bad captain, but I've read Serpents Amongst The Ruins. I know not all fans count TrekLit, and that's fine. But that man deserved to be captain of an Enterprise.
Old December 29 2013, 03:23 AM   #135
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Mage wrote: View Post
It's Earth first warp 5 ship, actually going out there! How can anyone have any experience with it?
It's possible to be inexperienced and still have convincing leadership qualities.