RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,623
Posts: 5,426,649
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 557
Newest member: Rom

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old December 24 2011, 11:48 AM   #1441
M
Vice Admiral
 
M's Avatar
 
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

^ Because the first one looks more interesting to me. More cinematic, more dramatic. It has more mood, more depth and – to me – more realism. The other one looks just dull, flat, bright, cartoony and uninteresting to my eye.

That's why.
__________________
Bashir: »Out of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?«
Garak: »My dear doctor, they're all true.«
Bashir: »Even the lies?«
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline  
Old December 24 2011, 11:59 AM   #1442
Scotty
Rear Admiral
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Location: The Netherlands, Les Pays Bas, Holland
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

^Agreed. The lighting and cinematography during the first four seasons was more interesting and cinematic than the latter seasons. The HD transfers will hopefully reflect this.
__________________
"No bla bla bla!" - Captain James T. Kirk
Scotty is offline  
Old December 24 2011, 12:04 PM   #1443
Skywalker
Admiral
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
^ Because the first one looks more interesting to me. More cinematic, more dramatic. It has more mood, more depth and – to me – more realism. The other one looks just dull, flat, bright, cartoony and uninteresting to my eye.

That's why.
Well, sir, I disagree!

Also, your opinion is awful and you should be ashamed of yourself! Or something like that. That's how these internet arguments are supposed to go, right?
Skywalker is offline  
Old December 24 2011, 12:13 PM   #1444
M
Vice Admiral
 
M's Avatar
 
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

^ All is good.

The internet would be a boring place if we'd all agree all the time. I have no problem with people thinking differently about this.
__________________
Bashir: »Out of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?«
Garak: »My dear doctor, they're all true.«
Bashir: »Even the lies?«
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline  
Old December 24 2011, 12:52 PM   #1445
Dac
Commodore
 
Dac's Avatar
 
Location: The Essex wastes...
View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

I really don't think the majority of the dark and moodiness was intentional, rather it was born out of necessity of hiding reflections of the crew and what have you in consoles, and possibly just being cheap.

I mean, that image of Data, what purpose does it serve to have his shoulder in complete darkness? Why are there 2 dark bands on the console next to him?

It's a well known fact they used black cardboard originally to hide reflections, but if they're at an angle when the entire console shows a reflection, then they probably had to go and take more drastic actions.
Dac is offline  
Old December 24 2011, 01:07 PM   #1446
M
Vice Admiral
 
M's Avatar
 
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

^ Well, that might be a valid argument if we were just talking about shots with consoles and reflections in them. The lighting of the first few seasons must – at least to some degree – have been a concious cinematographic decision, because all shots are darker, more desaturated and the lighting and shadows are starker. I think they just switched the director of photography between season two and three and the other guy had a different (≠ better) apporach.
__________________
Bashir: »Out of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?«
Garak: »My dear doctor, they're all true.«
Bashir: »Even the lies?«
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline  
Old December 24 2011, 02:55 PM   #1447
Tosk
Rear Admiral
 
Tosk's Avatar
 
Location: On the run.
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Judging from the trailer we've seen, the cinematography is not to blame for a lot of the murkiness associated with early seasons...it's just the terrible transfer that we've been stuck with all these years.

I'll wager there is no actual CC needed for the episodes to look much better and more consistent. We'll see soon enough.

Boris wrote: View Post
Can we please replace the "-R" in the title of this thread with "HD"? The -R suffix already means "Remastered with a capital R", in other words remastered with new VFX on top. This is just TNG in HD.
I don't get it. It is being remastered. Remastering doesn't necessarily have anything to do with new effects, regardless of what misuse has been wrought on the word the last few years.
Tosk is offline  
Old December 24 2011, 03:03 PM   #1448
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral
 
The Laughing Vulcan's Avatar
 
Location: At The Laughing Vulcan's party...
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Another thought...

Will the remastered versions also be released on DVD? Jumping up from fuzzy lessthanNTSC to full 480i, or in the case of PAL 576i, will make the current DVDs look like a halfway house between VHS and what DVD ought to be.
__________________
"Don't try to live so wise. Don't cry 'cause you're so right.
Don't dry with fakes or fears, 'Cause you will hate yourself in the end."

Anime @ MyReviewer
The Laughing Vulcan is offline  
Old December 24 2011, 04:52 PM   #1449
Boris Skrbic
Commander
 
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Tosk wrote: View Post
Remastering doesn't necessarily have anything to do with new effects, regardless of what misuse has been wrought on the word the last few years.
But -R is no longer accurate, Tosk. Since it was reserved to describe remastering with new VFX (more like a 1990s Special Edition), we need HD to emphasize that this is just an HD upgrade. Otherwise newcomers will think it's the same as TOS Remastered, because that would be the obvious assumption. And what if TNG does get its -R eventually?
Boris Skrbic is offline  
Old December 24 2011, 05:37 PM   #1450
JJohnson
Captain
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
^ I guess what Vulcan really means is, will they make shots like these ...



... look more like this ...



Which, personally, I hope they won't.
I hope they do. Muted and way too dark in the first in comparison to the second. I'd also want them to add more life to the panels instead of just blinkies, maybe a little CG animation to give it some kick.
JJohnson is offline  
Old December 26 2011, 08:15 AM   #1451
Tosk
Rear Admiral
 
Tosk's Avatar
 
Location: On the run.
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Boris wrote: View Post
Otherwise newcomers will think it's the same as TOS Remastered, because that would be the obvious assumption
Dude, it's just a short-hand being used on a BBS. Who cares if someone assumes something?
Tosk is offline  
Old December 26 2011, 06:22 PM   #1452
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

This is TNG Remastered. It's just that there are soooo many levels to remastering something.
JarodRussell is offline  
Old December 26 2011, 07:01 PM   #1453
NewHorizon
Captain
 
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
This is TNG Remastered. It's just that there are soooo many levels to remastering something.
Well, officially they're calling it TNG in HD...but it doesn't really matter.
NewHorizon is offline  
Old December 26 2011, 11:18 PM   #1454
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

JJohnson wrote: View Post
NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
^ I guess what Vulcan really means is, will they make shots like these ...



... look more like this ...



Which, personally, I hope they won't.
I hope they do. Muted and way too dark in the first in comparison to the second. I'd also want them to add more life to the panels instead of just blinkies, maybe a little CG animation to give it some kick.
The first one looks more "real" and cinematic to me...
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline  
Old December 28 2011, 06:39 AM   #1455
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Tosk wrote: View Post
I don't get it. It is being remastered. Remastering doesn't necessarily have anything to do with new effects...
Remastering has nothing at all to do with new FX. In fact, the new FX added to the classic episodes of Star Trek are the only parts of the show that weren't remastered.

I blame George Lucas for confusing everyone about what "remastered" actually means.
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike
Hober Mallow is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
tng-r

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.