Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie

People’s Choice Award Nominations

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Closed Thread

Old September 12 2011, 10:42 PM   #106
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R discussion thread!

RAMA wrote: View Post
AviTrek wrote: View Post
Scotty wrote: View Post
I have never been this excited for a home video release EVER... Roll on december and hopefully seasons 1-7 in 2012.
Scotty, it took over 2 years to complete TOS-R which required a lot less work. If you're expecting all 7 seasons to be completed in 1 year then you are either going to be disappointed or you're going to get a rushed upscale of the DVD. Personally, I'm happy to wait 3-7 years for the project to be completed if it means it's done well.
I agree, I don't mind waiting though I like being able to get an early (xmas) sampling. I think we're looking at a good 5-7 year transfer to HD.

RAMA
I'm willing to wait for this as well. It's definitely worth the wait. I grew up with TNG. To me, IT is "classic" Trek.
Old September 13 2011, 03:36 PM   #107
RAMA
Vice Admiral

thumbtack wrote: View Post
MrPointy wrote: View Post
I'd pay up to $300AU for that, Paramount.

It's going to be a lot, lot more than that for 7 seasons.
Hopefully we can also see it released in more digestable chunks.
Old September 13 2011, 05:04 PM   #108
Scotty
Rear Admiral

I have never been this excited for a home video release EVER... Roll on december and hopefully seasons 1-7 in 2012.
Scotty, it took over 2 years to complete TOS-R which required a lot less work. If you're expecting all 7 seasons to be completed in 1 year then you are either going to be disappointed or you're going to get a rushed upscale of the DVD. Personally, I'm happy to wait 3-7 years for the project to be completed if it means it's done well.
Good for you! I want this now and I want it all!

Seriously though, I don't really expect all seasons in one year, but the TOS blu rays were released remarkably fast. I think Paramount will release the entire series in 2,5 - 3 years, if they decide to go through with the endeavour.
Old September 13 2011, 08:42 PM   #109
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Good for you! I want this now and I want it all!

Seriously though, I don't really expect all seasons in one year, but the TOS blu rays were released remarkably fast. I think Paramount will release the entire series in 2,5 - 3 years, if they decide to go through with the endeavour.
TOS-R was announced in September 2006. Season 3 on DVD came out in November 2008. The blu rays were then released between Fed 2009 and Dec 2009, but that had more to do with marketing and the new JJ movie. The work was done in 2008, and if not for the failed HD-DVD, the sets would have been out in November 2008.

So we're talking about 26 months for 79 episodes. Assuming a similar pace we're looking at nearly 5 years for TNG. And since TNG will require a lot more work, I think it could easily take even longer. In fact, looking at these numbers, it really wouldn't shock me to see CBS release 1 season/year for 7 years.
Old September 13 2011, 08:50 PM   #110
LitmusDragon
Commodore

All of this speculation regarding time frame is interesting but these comparisons to the TOS-R project are only valid if the labor force were exactly the same size. We certainly don't know that for a fact. If there are twice as many people working on this project it might move twice as fast. It may also be that there are things they learned from TOS-R which will make this project faster than that one.
Old September 13 2011, 11:35 PM   #111
RAMA
Vice Admiral

LitmusDragon wrote: View Post
All of this speculation regarding time frame is interesting but these comparisons to the TOS-R project are only valid if the labor force were exactly the same size. We certainly don't know that for a fact. If there are twice as many people working on this project it might move twice as fast. It may also be that there are things they learned from TOS-R which will make this project faster than that one.
I still think we're looking at a minimum of 5 years, unless the resources put into it are much greater than we think.

Old September 14 2011, 02:48 AM   #112
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

Do we know when they officially started? Could they have been working on this longer than we know? It just hasn't been public knowledge? Maybe hopefully maybe?
Old September 14 2011, 04:34 AM   #113
RAMA
Vice Admiral

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post
Do we know when they officially started? Could they have been working on this longer than we know? It just hasn't been public knowledge? Maybe hopefully maybe?
Some of us assumed they started awhile ago, just as with TOS-R they worked on it for months before surprising everyone on the syndication announcement.

RAMA
Old September 14 2011, 07:53 AM   #114
Oso Blanco
Commodore

I'm still hoping that they just upscaled the fx and didn't create new ones.
Old September 14 2011, 12:34 PM   #115
Pseudo
Fleet Captain

View Pseudo's Twitter Profile

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
I think you should probably prepare to be disappointed.
Old September 14 2011, 01:37 PM   #116
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Pseudo wrote: View Post
I think you should probably prepare to be disappointed.
I hope so. Upscaled shots would look horrible in HD. It kind of defeats the purpose of the remastering into HD.
Old September 14 2011, 02:11 PM   #117
Trek Survivor
Captain

Seriously!?! Upscaled would look awful, esp. if they sit side by side with HD "live action" shots.
Old September 14 2011, 02:21 PM   #118
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

They could scan and recomposite the original VFX as they are on film. That's what I hope for.
Old September 14 2011, 04:03 PM   #119
bullethead
Fleet Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
They could scan and recomposite the original VFX as they are on film. That's what I hope for.
Is there any evidence that they used film for the VFX sequences aside from the stuff that ILM made for Encounter at Farpoint? I would imagine that they would replace most of the VFX anyway, especially the bland space battles.
Old September 14 2011, 04:52 PM   #120
LitmusDragon
Commodore

bullethead wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Is there any evidence that they used film for the VFX sequences aside from the stuff that ILM made for Encounter at Farpoint? I would imagine that they would replace most of the VFX anyway, especially the bland space battles.
Can't find a citation at the moment but it's certain that "most" of TNG's f/x work was done on video, so will have to be redone.
Closed Thread