MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Closed Thread

Old July 24 2012, 05:50 AM   #4321
Sho
Fleet Captain

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

^ Especially since you can still just buy that three-episode sampler disc and get a Farpoint with correct audio.

I mean sure, it's an error, and I hope they'll put a replacement program in place. But if you were looking forward to starting a season 1 rewatch with lovely DTS 7.1 sound this week, it's still possible!
Old July 24 2012, 07:06 AM   #4322
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

The plot thickens. Here's the list I've compiled of where dialogue can be heard in the mix (please correct me if I've made a mistake):

FL = front left
C = center
FR = front right

"Encounter at Farpoint" - C, FR
"The Naked Now" - C
"Code of Honor" - C
"The Last Outpost" - C
"Where No One Has Gone Before" - C
"Lonely Among Us" - C
"Justice" - C
"The Battle" - C
"Hide and Q" - FL, C, FR
"Haven" - FL, C, FR
"The Big Goodbye" - FL, C, FR
"Datalore" - FL, C, FR
"Angel One" - C
"11001001" - FL, C, FR
"Too Short a Season" - FL, C, FR
"When the Bough Breaks" - C
"Home Soil" - C
"Coming of Age" - C
"Heart of Glory" - C
"The Arsenal of Freedom" - C
"Symbiosis" - C
"Skin of Evil" - C
"We'll Always Have Paris" - C
"Conspiracy" - C
"The Neutral Zone" - C

I'll just note that I didn't bother putting my ear next to any of the rear channels to check. The only real troublesome one is the pilot because it is unbalanced and because it differs from the Next Level sampler... but the others in the middle there are strange anomalies as well.
Old July 24 2012, 07:30 AM   #4323
Scotty
Rear Admiral

^I really didn't need to hear about that. So half a dozen sound mixes are mixed incorrectly. Though it isn't uncommen for dialogue to bleed nto both front channels, it still s sloppy.
Old July 24 2012, 07:35 AM   #4324
Sho
Fleet Captain

Is FL+C+FR really such a big problem? At least it's not off-balance then as with EaF.
Old July 24 2012, 07:41 AM   #4325
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Scotty wrote: View Post
^I really didn't need to hear about that. So half a dozen sound mixes are mixed incorrectly. Though it isn't uncommen for dialogue to bleed nto both front channels, it still s sloppy.
It's definitely not bleed over... the dialogue in the left and right channels (of those episodes affected) was loud and clear -- identical to what you can hear in the center channel. At this point, I'd only be willing to label "Farpoint" as incorrect until we know more... but the others may ultimately turn out to be errors in the mix and/or authoring.

I forwarded the info to someone who worked on the Next Level sampler and he said he'll contact CBS tomorrow.
Old July 24 2012, 07:41 AM   #4326
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Sho wrote: View Post
Is FL+C+FR really such a big problem? At least it's not off-balance then as with EaF.
As I said in my post, I don't think it's as troublesome.
Old July 24 2012, 07:42 AM   #4327
Scotty
Rear Admiral

^if you don't have a surround set or you aren't an audio enthusiast, then no it isn't a problem. But I am an enthusiast and dialogue should only come from the center. Furthermore, one wonders if you could call this a true 7.1 mix. Maybe the masters are too old to be properly remastered.

I'm curious however if the 5.1 mixes on the old DVDs also have audio bleeing into the fronts. As i am on holiday I'll check as soon as I get back.
Old July 24 2012, 07:44 AM   #4328
Scotty
Rear Admiral

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
It's definitely not bleed over... the dialogue in the left and right channels (of those episodes affected) was loud and clear -- identical to what you can hear in the center channel. At this point, I'd only be willing to label "Farpoint" as incorrect until we know more... but the others may ultimately turn out to be errors in the mix and/or authoring.

I forwarded the info to someone who worked on the Next Level sampler and he said he'll contact CBS tomorrow.
How does the dialogue in the front channels affect the left/right surround effects?
Old July 24 2012, 08:07 AM   #4329
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

How does the dialogue in the front channels affect the left/right surround effects?
Directional effects are perceivable on the center dialogue only episodes (like doors hissing open and closed on the left or right)... but I was listening for directional effects on "Hide and Q", like when Worf pours out his wine glass, then throws it to the right and it breaks off camera -- couldn't perceive a directionality to it.
Old July 24 2012, 08:19 AM   #4330
mswood
Rear Admiral

mr.peany wrote: View Post
mswood wrote: View Post
mr.peany wrote: View Post
In regards to the season two VFX being completed by a different company, I did notice in the trailer that the Enterprise looked markedly different, with it lacking the 'oomph' that season 1 had, also the planets in the before and after shot looked almost identical. I was hoping that the style done in season 1 would be carried over, however it appears that it may not be the case.
Are you talking about the stock shots that ILM created for the pilot, or the new shots that were done at the Post Group. Because I would expect some differences as the amount of production time the pilot effects had is much larger then the time a normal episode would get. So I would naturally expect some change in level of quality. Not to mention as the production team expanded their supervisors, each of them provided a different style to each of there episodes, and a Legato done episode in season two is going to look different then even his own episodes in season 1 (they talk about how they run themselves into the ground in season one), let alone the difference between Legato and Curry.
Hmm possibly, but im moreso referring to some of the screenshots that have been released thus far. For example, the shot of the Enterprise approaching Minos in "Arsenal of Freedom" is terrific, and shows a great improvement in not only the Enterprise and the planet itself. Compare that to the shot of the Enterprise in orbit of a planet in the season 2 trailer and the difference is staggering, well to me at least anyway.
That shot was from the Pilot (done by ILM), I am assuming you are then comparing it to the Enterprise planet flyby used in "the Child", which is work done by the "Post Group". ILM had much more time to plan out shots, then what the Post Group could (for the most part), but I would also not just assume based on caps without seeing what standard and compression was used for the caps.

Just off the various caps we have seen from TrekCore, to others sites, to reviews, to fans posting here, you can see a difference in some of the footage.

And also, as I mentioned as the show progressed and the effects teams grew, the style of work done was quite different.

For example, I loved the look of the Child's FX, (at least off the quality we could see) as it seemed to really soak up the blues of the planet, other shots in that season didn't have that same look, the other close one was the shots in the energy vortex (also strong blues) in Unnatural selection.

Now of course it could also be the difference in the fx company doing the transfer, but at this stage its really to early to rule out differences that actually happened when they were filmed originally.
Old July 24 2012, 09:11 AM   #4331
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Directional effects are perceivable on the center dialogue only episodes (like doors hissing open and closed on the left or right)... but I was listening for directional effects on "Hide and Q", like when Worf pours out his wine glass, then throws it to the right and it breaks off camera -- couldn't perceive a directionality to it.
Thanks for checking the other disks, this really is dissapointing.

After all the the time, effort and hard work that has gone into this release I can't understand how the audio has been released in this state.

Hopefully there will be an official comment on this at some point, I am sure it wont bother me too much when it's balanced over the three front speakers.

This has kind of dampened my excitememtn over this project but it does still look amazing.
Old July 24 2012, 09:34 AM   #4332
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Hopefully there are lessons that have been learned ahead of the Season 2 release and onwards.
Old July 24 2012, 09:35 AM   #4333
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

TrekMovie review is up:

http://trekmovie.com/2012/07/23/revi...review-images/
Old July 24 2012, 10:08 AM   #4334
NewHorizon
Captain

Mott the barber wrote: View Post
You're really gonna let this relatively minor screw up in the grand scheme of things deter you from buying the season?
I'm 'waiting' to see what unfolds. I'm very patient. I've waited 25 years to see a spruced up TNG, waiting a few more months isn't going to hurt. If that is the only minor issue, I'll pick up the set but I am not particularly fond of buying something that isn't ready. We're all aware that the team was working some pretty crazy shifts to get this project finished...seems to me they were rushed a bit too much. An extra week or two of quality control would probably have avoided the sound issue.

I'm in no rush...nor should CBS be if they plan to avoid issues like this. This is no small project, and quality control has to be pumped up.
Old July 24 2012, 10:11 AM   #4335
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Okay... the directional sound effects seem to still be there. The opening sequence with the Enterprise moving from left to right, right to left is a little hard for me to discern... it's very subtle -- but it sounds essentially the same whether it's a center dialogue only episode or a L, C, R episode.

What confirmed it for me though is in "Hide and Q" when Q appears as the three-headed Aldeberaan Serpent... there are circling points of light that have corresponding sounds which travel from the right speaker to the left.

(And by the way, there's a subtle VFX mistake where those circling lights momentarily freeze a number of frames before the camera cuts away on one occasion. It's when Q's voice says, "We have much to discuss..." I don't recall if it was this way on the DVDs or not.)