RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,700
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 742
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Closed Thread

Old July 23 2012, 06:48 PM   #4291
NewHorizon
Captain

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
Well, looking at the shots of the Enterprise in the trailer the original colour scheme is less pronouced than the first season shots. Its more of a greyscale as opposed to blue/green.

Small details like the main impulse engine is now red when it was changed it to orange, the deflector is a bronze in the before/after shot when it was changed to burgundy in season one.
It's only really a problem if they switch to a different company every season. If they stay with this one company for the rest of the run, then hopefully things will be consistent from here on out. I don't want to see a repeat of TOSR, there is no need for that.

I much preferred the blue/green look that they had going with the Season 1 set. I hope we don't lose that. It really made the ship look vibrant.
Old July 23 2012, 06:59 PM   #4292
Glassneedles
Ensign

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Glassneedles wrote: View Post
Very disappointed, I just picked up the UK edition and the DTS HD Master Audio 7.1 mix on EAF is wrong. The dialogue has been mixed into the centre and front right channels simultaneously throughout - extremely noticeable and distracting. The mix just sounds horrible. I have the sampler disc, and the mix is perfect on that. Just quickly checked The Naked Now, and the mix is correct on that episode also.

Could anyone with the US discs and a surround sound system corroborate this error also exists on their set? If not, I'll be returning mine and ordering from the States. I'd really appreciate a quick reply if anyone's willing.

I can check once I get off work. Should be home pretty close to 7 and will check it out as soon as I get in. I didn't notice anything wrong with my copy of the sampler though. Did you get it and can hear the same thing with it?
Sho wrote: View Post
^ He mentioned in the very post you quoted that the sampler is OK for him.
Many thanks, Glassneedles - I'd really appreciate that, just let me know if you can clearly hear the dialogue from both the centre and front right channels. As Sho highlighted, I do have the sampler, and it's perfect. Unfortunately, I suspect the front right channel has been replaced with a duplicate of the centre (haven't had time to listen properly) - although how they could muck this up bearing in the mind the sampler is correct is beyond me.

Doh! Read your post rather quickly and must of missed that. Sorry.

Just watched the first 5 minutes of EAF on season 1 and I have the problem too. As you said hugely distracting. Watched the opening of the Naked Now and Code of Honour. Didn't hear anything wrong.
Has anyone else noticed any issues on the other discs?
Old July 23 2012, 07:00 PM   #4293
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
Well, looking at the shots of the Enterprise in the trailer the original colour scheme is less pronouced than the first season shots. Its more of a greyscale as opposed to blue/green.

Small details like the main impulse engine is now red when it was changed it to orange, the deflector is a bronze in the before/after shot when it was changed to burgundy in season one.
It's only really a problem if they switch to a different company every season. If they stay with this one company for the rest of the run, then hopefully things will be consistent from here on out. I don't want to see a repeat of TOSR, there is no need for that.

I much preferred the blue/green look that they had going with the Season 1 set. I hope we don't lose that. It really made the ship look vibrant.
Working with more than one company is probably speeding things along considerably.
Old July 23 2012, 07:03 PM   #4294
NewHorizon
Captain

Brikar99 wrote: View Post
Working with more than one company is probably speeding things along considerably.
Yes, of course, more hands make lighter work but what I'm saying is if they stick with this company...and perhaps even just let this company hire more 'hands' rather than have two effects houses, they can achieve greater consistency. They should be comparing notes and making sure their work looks the same.
Old July 23 2012, 07:05 PM   #4295
LOKAI of CHERON
Fleet Captain

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

I can check once I get off work. Should be home pretty close to 7 and will check it out as soon as I get in. I didn't notice anything wrong with my copy of the sampler though. Did you get it and can hear the same thing with it?
Sho wrote: View Post
^ He mentioned in the very post you quoted that the sampler is OK for him.
Many thanks, Glassneedles - I'd really appreciate that, just let me know if you can clearly hear the dialogue from both the centre and front right channels. As Sho highlighted, I do have the sampler, and it's perfect. Unfortunately, I suspect the front right channel has been replaced with a duplicate of the centre (haven't had time to listen properly) - although how they could muck this up bearing in the mind the sampler is correct is beyond me.

Doh! Read your post rather quickly and must of missed that. Sorry.

Just watched the first 5 minutes of EAF on season 1 and I have the problem too. As you said hugely distracting. Watched the opening of the Naked Now and Code of Honour. Didn't hear anything wrong.
Has anyone else noticed any issues on the other discs?
There's no problems with the other two episodes on Disc 1 - but as you intimate, I'm going to be crossing my fingers as I go through the rest of the set.
Old July 23 2012, 07:17 PM   #4296
MickJo1701
Commander

Brikar99 wrote: View Post
Yes, of course, more hands make lighter work but what I'm saying is if they stick with this company...and perhaps even just let this company hire more 'hands' rather than have two effects houses, they can achieve greater consistency. They should be comparing notes and making sure their work looks the same.
Interestingly the changes are on already completed shots (i.e generic Enterprise in orbit shot). surely CBS-D would have provided them with the recomposited elements to save time and work.
Old July 23 2012, 07:56 PM   #4297
NewHorizon
Captain

In light of the sound issues in EAF now, I'm glad I waited before ordering. I certainly don't want to pay for a defective set...nor do I want to start collecting if the effects are going to be inconsistent. I think I'll be waiting for the release of Season 2, or at least some more Season 1 / Season 2 comparison shots before I lay down any money.

I had such high hopes that the mistakes and inconsistencies of TOSR would not be an issue with this set. I hope they get their act together on this.
Old July 23 2012, 08:01 PM   #4298
Trekfan76137
Ensign

Bestbuy.com is not permitting any orders of this with the "in store pickup" option. Wonder if they've already sold out?
Old July 23 2012, 08:03 PM   #4299
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Very disappointed, I just picked up the UK edition and the DTS HD Master Audio 7.1 mix on EAF is wrong. The dialogue has been mixed into the centre and front right channels simultaneously throughout - extremely noticeable and distracting. The mix just sounds horrible. I have the sampler disc, and the mix is perfect on that. Just quickly checked The Naked Now, and the mix is correct on that episode also.

Could anyone with the US discs and a surround sound system corroborate this error also exists on their set? If not, I'll be returning mine and ordering from the States. I'd really appreciate a quick reply if anyone's willing.
I have the US set and can also confirm that dialogue is present on the front right channel. Like most, I hadn't watched EAF on this new set because I assumed it was identical to the Next Level disc. Looks like we're going to have to try and get a disc replacement program going.

Don't bother getting the discs from anywhere else -- they're the same everywhere.

The most likely explanation is that the wrong .wav file (i.e. the center channel) was imported into the FR field by accident before DTS-HD encoding. Not sure why they would need to re-encode the audio though... unless they were trying to fix something. I did notice a slight audio skip during the trial on the Next Level version... maybe it's due to that?

Last edited by Maxwell Everett; July 23 2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old July 23 2012, 09:13 PM   #4300
davejames
Vice Admiral

Trekfan76137 wrote: View Post
Bestbuy.com is not permitting any orders of this with the "in store pickup" option. Wonder if they've already sold out?
I'm sure they'll have plenty of copies in the store; you just won't be able to reserve one online.

At least I HOPE so, because that's where I'm planning to get mine.
Old July 23 2012, 09:18 PM   #4301
Warped Trekker
Ensign

In light of the sound issues in EAF now, I'm glad I waited before ordering. I certainly don't want to pay for a defective set...nor do I want to start collecting if the effects are going to be inconsistent. I think I'll be waiting for the release of Season 2, or at least some more Season 1 / Season 2 comparison shots before I lay down any money.

I had such high hopes that the mistakes and inconsistencies of TOSR would not be an issue with this set. I hope they get their act together on this.
There is nothing wrong with the sound on EAF in this set. I just got my copy here in USA and the dialogue is only coming out of the center channel. My receiver automatically set itself to pure DTS mode. Try changing your receivers mode before saying there is a problem. 5.1ch sounds perfect and dialogue only in the center channel.
Old July 23 2012, 09:22 PM   #4302
NewHorizon
Captain

Warped Trekker wrote: View Post
There is nothing wrong with the sound on EAF in this set. I just got my copy here in USA and the dialogue is only coming out of the center channel. My receiver automatically set itself to pure DTS mode. Try changing your receivers mode before saying there is a problem. 5.1ch sounds perfect and dialogue only in the center channel.
That doesn't really explain why the teaser disk EAF works for them, and all the episodes following EAF on the full set also work. Something is askew.
Old July 23 2012, 09:27 PM   #4303
Glassneedles
Ensign

I changed my receiver to just decode the dts before I checked. On my UK set dialogue is coming out the centre and front right channel. Does not happen with my UK sampler

Using a Sony S380 and STRDH820 with 5.1 speakers.
Old July 23 2012, 10:01 PM   #4304
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

I changed my receiver to just decode the dts before I checked. On my UK set dialogue is coming out the centre and front right channel. Does not happen with my UK sampler

Using a Sony S380 and STRDH820 with 5.1 speakers.
Yeah, there's clearly a difference between the pilot on the Next Level disc (which has a properly isolated center channel) and the pilot on the S1 set. "The Naked Now" and "Code of Honor" (which are on disc 1 with the pilot) sound correct -- so it can't be my blu-ray player or amp.

And just to clarify, I'm sending the audio PCM direct to the receiver over HDMI. All 7.1 channels are lit up on the display.
Old July 23 2012, 10:11 PM   #4305
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Also, I forgot to mention that I forwarded this info to someone who worked on the Blu-ray authoring of the Next Level disc and he confirmed that his company did not work on the S1 set and that CBS decided to do it in-house. So, CBS had to re-encode the audio and video again for EAF since his company didn't give them the final encoded assets used on the sampler.

He said he is in contact with the people making the discs and that if he verifies the problem with his set, he'll complain to the appropriate people.