Nimoy Dead At Eighty-Three
By: T'Bonz on Feb 27

Breaking news: Leonard Nimoy – ‘Mr Spock’ – dies aged 83
By: AntonyF on Feb 27

Hurley Passes
By: T'Bonz on Feb 26

USS Excelsior Model Coming Soon
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Closed Thread

Old July 21 2012, 06:15 PM   #4231
Sho
Fleet Captain

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

^ Like I just tried to say, I don't think this actually a case of hurried work. Rather, I think they were caught between a rock and a hard place: The original composition would look goofy in HD, and new CGI clouds would look out of place. So they chose to combine the original elements a little differently to create a good-looking HD master.

But yeah, maybe we're just fussing over nothing and this is a slightly later frame.
Old July 21 2012, 06:24 PM   #4232
Sho
Fleet Captain

Sorry for the double-posting ...

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
Anyone else notice how the element of the cyro satellite is cut off hard at the bottom, with some starfield visible below it? I'm guessing that's somehow rooted in the aspect ratio difference between VistaVision and the final master, but that doesn't explain how the original shot had more picture. Or maybe it's somehow related to a misaligned alpha matte used in the original composite, because you'll notice a lot of new stuff pop up in the fixed shot on the right-facing rims of things, especially visible on the front solar panel. Maybe they fixed the alignment, but then had to contend with bad framing.

Maxwell Everett, this is your traditional area of expertise, could you comment?

(On the flip side, the original has the Enterprise cut off on the left, which got fixed now!)
Old July 21 2012, 07:35 PM   #4233
Biffette
Captain

Ometiklan wrote: View Post
I was just reading some of the comments on the Amazon listing for season one, and someone mentioned "Shades of Grey" as the worst episode of TNG. That made me think that with the reediting of "Measure of a Man" I wonder if Paramount would be able and willing to do a reedit of "Shades of Grey" using unseen (i.e., cut) footage from other first and second season episodes. That way it could be a clip show "with all new material" like what Community did with its "clip show".
That's a cool idea, it would be nice to see the clip show with unfamiliar scenes. My guess is that there's not a lot of "unpleasant memory" footage that was cut from any 1st or 2nd season episodes, so that would be a limitation. I don't see the people working on this project going through that kind of effort for such an unpopular episode, but maybe someday we'll see a fan edit version like that.
Old July 21 2012, 08:48 PM   #4234
Flake
Commodore

Leave Shades of Grey alone.... I know I will!
Old July 21 2012, 09:26 PM   #4235
groundhog
Lieutenant Junior Grade

captrek wrote: View Post
What are the legal options (in the US) for seeing TNG:R without paying $60/season for the discs?
Wait for a sale, such as Black Friday. Which is what I'm doing. Can't spend so much right now.
Old July 21 2012, 09:43 PM   #4236
SillyTilly
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Watched Disc 1 + The Last Outpost and I have to say that I am really impressed. Loved the work on the taster disk and the quality carried onto these episodes. Wonderful work. The documentary on the restoration was really interesting too and you can understand how much work has been put into this release.
Old July 21 2012, 10:49 PM   #4237
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Biffette wrote: View Post
Ometiklan wrote: View Post
I was just reading some of the comments on the Amazon listing for season one, and someone mentioned "Shades of Grey" as the worst episode of TNG. That made me think that with the reediting of "Measure of a Man" I wonder if Paramount would be able and willing to do a reedit of "Shades of Grey" using unseen (i.e., cut) footage from other first and second season episodes. That way it could be a clip show "with all new material" like what Community did with its "clip show".
That's a cool idea, it would be nice to see the clip show with unfamiliar scenes. My guess is that there's not a lot of "unpleasant memory" footage that was cut from any 1st or 2nd season episodes, so that would be a limitation. I don't see the people working on this project going through that kind of effort for such an unpopular episode, but maybe someday we'll see a fan edit version like that.
See if they remade SOG with the same memories, but different takes or angles, it would be essential viewing.

An ultmighty amount of work though, thats not very likely!
Old July 21 2012, 10:59 PM   #4238
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

SillyTilly wrote: View Post
My copy of Series 1 has just arrived. Really can't wait to delve in
Git! I'm in Staffs too, was really hoping mine would turn up today. Shipped from HMV a few days ago.

Must be 15 years since I've seen TNG from start to finish. Although I picked them up on DVD a number of years ago I never got around to watching them again.

As others mentioned previously, I'm looking forward to this more than anything else on the large or small screen this year!

Kudos to CBS - A few years ago I never thought this was remotely possible, and here we are!

Seriously, just a huge thanks to all involved, you guys rock!
Old July 21 2012, 11:09 PM   #4239
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Sho wrote: View Post
Sorry for the double-posting ...

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
Anyone else notice how the element of the cyro satellite is cut off hard at the bottom, with some starfield visible below it? I'm guessing that's somehow rooted in the aspect ratio difference between VistaVision and the final master, but that doesn't explain how the original shot had more picture. Or maybe it's somehow related to a misaligned alpha matte used in the original composite, because you'll notice a lot of new stuff pop up in the fixed shot on the right-facing rims of things, especially visible on the front solar panel. Maybe they fixed the alignment, but then had to contend with bad framing.

Maxwell Everett, this is your traditional area of expertise, could you comment?

(On the flip side, the original has the Enterprise cut off on the left, which got fixed now!)
VistaVision (8-perf) was only used by ILM on the pilot, so all subsequent VFX plates were photographed by Image G on standard 4-perf 35mm... just like the live action. This looks like just a straight-up mistake in the scan -- that is, the extracted area of the negative was slightly different (shifted up, by a miniscule amount) than what was originally telecined in 1988... so because they decided to align the cryo satellite exactly where it was over the Enterprise originally, there's a gap at the bottom of the frame now.

Personally I would have moved the satellite layer down until the gap disappeared. In this case, I think an exact alignment would be secondary to eliminating any gaps in the composite.

I know by this point they were understaffed and rushing to complete the season, so it may have slipped through. Good thing it's minor!
Old July 22 2012, 01:16 AM   #4240
Sho
Fleet Captain

^ Thanks!
Old July 22 2012, 01:25 AM   #4241
davejames
Vice Admiral

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Does anyone know if they resized the Stargazer from "The Battle"?
Good question...
Nope, same size.
Darn. I guess we'll just have to accept that Starfleet built some massive, SUPER-sized versions of the old nacelles and saucer for that ship.
Old July 22 2012, 01:43 AM   #4242
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

I took an image from the ENERGIZED! doc and overlayed it on top of the corresponding frame from "The Naked Now" to show more directly (they used a side-by-side and zoom in the doc) what kind of 16:9 transfer the folks at CBS were considering. As you can see, we're not missing that much more usable image... and we would've lost quite a bit:

I'm guessing this area corresponds to the maximum safe area they could extract across all the footage (some of it would have more usable area, most probably not). As Robert Meyer Burnett indicated a few weeks ago, the ENERGIZED! doc is really the last word on the 16:9/4:3 debate. I strongly encourage everyone here to purchase this wonderful set and watch it for yourself! Best Blu-ray purchase I've made in quite a while.
Old July 22 2012, 01:50 AM   #4243
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I would've liked a 16:9 option, but the lack of one isn't going to keep me from buying the set.
Old July 22 2012, 01:55 AM   #4244
Sho
Fleet Captain

Actually, could you post the full res frame too? That's an amazing picture of Data!
Old July 22 2012, 02:09 AM   #4245
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Sho wrote: View Post
Actually, could you post the full res frame too? That's an amazing picture of Data!