RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,588
Posts: 5,515,361
Members: 25,158
Currently online: 582
Newest member: Giarc1982

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old July 19 2012, 03:59 AM   #4111
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

trekker670 wrote: View Post
The list-price on the Best Buy website is down to $59.99. Time to switch preorders...


Edit: another review

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/56227...tion-season-1/

Yup, that's just too good a price to pass up...
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline  
Old July 19 2012, 04:02 AM   #4112
Mike Okuda
Commander
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Here's the trailer that we presented at San Diego Comic Con for Star Trek: The Next Generation on Blu-ray.

http://youtu.be/e_VYn4uHtgE
Mike Okuda is offline  
Old July 19 2012, 04:09 AM   #4113
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker
 
Savage Dragon's Avatar
 
Location: New York, NY
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!
__________________
Savage Dragon. Accept no substitutes.
Savage Dragon is offline  
Old July 19 2012, 04:12 AM   #4114
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

throwback wrote: View Post
As for the new registry, supposedly for the U.S.S. Copernicus, it makes sense as ILM had a registry for the Miranda-class starship that was higher than the first ship, but was still within the same range (1800-1900 for the Miranda, 600-700 for the Oberth). I am updating my ship list.
Mr. Okuda listed the Copernicus's registry as NCC-623 in the Encyclopedia, but presumably that's wrong, as there's no reason why the registry of the Tsiolkovsky would be two different numbers on the same place on the ship's hull. Obviously the registry was digitally changed to 53911 for the establishing shot but accidentally missed in the destruction shot. So logically the Copernicus's registry was always NCC-640. Of course, Mike would know this better than me

The thing that interests me is what is revealed on the HD-set with the mission orders seen in "Conspiracy". Can we now read the starships' names and their registries? To date, the only confirmed ship is the U.S.S. John F. Kennedy.
Yeah, I'm hoping we'll be able to make out some more names too. There's also a ship list LCARS in "Measure of a Man" that I'm hoping is clearer too.
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline  
Old July 19 2012, 04:21 AM   #4115
trekker670
Fleet Captain
 
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Mike Okuda wrote: View Post
Here's the trailer that we presented at San Diego Comic Con for Star Trek: The Next Generation on Blu-ray.

http://youtu.be/e_VYn4uHtgE
That's sick. By far my favorite trailer yet.
trekker670 is offline  
Old July 19 2012, 04:29 AM   #4116
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Mike Okuda wrote: View Post
Here's the trailer that we presented at San Diego Comic Con for Star Trek: The Next Generation on Blu-ray.

http://youtu.be/e_VYn4uHtgE
I just saw that on FB and was posting it..letting you do the honors.

The shot of Starbase 74 is breathtaking...
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline  
Old July 19 2012, 04:37 AM   #4117
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

OMG reading the ST.com thread on FB for the bluray article posted...its hilarious, they really have no idea what they are talking about!! LOL

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline  
Old July 19 2012, 05:59 AM   #4118
FelizNavidad
Admiral
 
FelizNavidad's Avatar
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Mike Okuda wrote: View Post
Here's the trailer that we presented at San Diego Comic Con for Star Trek: The Next Generation on Blu-ray.

http://youtu.be/e_VYn4uHtgE
Oh my god that looks beautiful. God I really don't want to Double dip but I think I'm really starting to want these sets. What do I do?
__________________
Twitter

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline  
Old July 19 2012, 06:01 AM   #4119
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral
 
Hanukkah Solo's Avatar
 
Location: Skywalker
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Sell your DVDs and get whatever you can for them. If you don't have a Blu-ray player yet, they're incredibly cheap these days.

I'm very happy that I never bothered purchasing the DVD sets.
Hanukkah Solo is offline  
Old July 19 2012, 06:07 AM   #4120
FelizNavidad
Admiral
 
FelizNavidad's Avatar
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Sell your DVDs and get whatever you can for them. If you don't have a Blu-ray player yet, they're incredibly cheap these days.

I'm very happy that I never bothered purchasing the DVD sets.
Where's a good place to sell the DVDs. They are in very good condition and that was something I was thinking about.
__________________
Twitter

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline  
Old July 19 2012, 06:16 AM   #4121
Mike Okuda
Commander
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Tomalak301: I understand your feelings about double-dipping (I feel the same way!), but I honestly don't think this qualifies. Here's why: CBS has put an extraordinary amount of effort into rescanning and reconstructing the entire series and rebuilding all the visual effects from the original film. It's not quite an all-new series, but I think it's pretty darned close. I think ST:TNG in HD represents a quantum leap in clarity, detail, and color. It reveals so much that was originally lost in the murkiness of standard-def video, yet remains faithful to the artistry of the show's original creators.
Mike Okuda is offline  
Old July 19 2012, 06:26 AM   #4122
FelizNavidad
Admiral
 
FelizNavidad's Avatar
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Mike Okuda wrote: View Post
Tomalak301: I understand your feelings about double-dipping (I feel the same way!), but I honestly don't think this qualifies. Here's why: CBS has put an extraordinary amount of effort into rescanning and reconstructing the entire series and rebuilding all the visual effects from the original film. It's not quite an all-new series, but I think it's pretty darned close. I think ST:TNG in HD represents a quantum leap in clarity, detail, and color. It reveals so much that was originally lost in the murkiness of standard-def video, yet remains faithful to the artistry of the show's original creators.
Oh, believe me, Mike, I'm already sold. The price seems reasonable, I'm just wondering what I do with the old sets. Keep them (And let them collect dust) or try to trade them in somehow. TNG is my favorite series of all of them, so maybe this is something worth paying for (And then getting a blu-ray player later if I need to). We'll see what happens.
__________________
Twitter

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline  
Old July 19 2012, 06:33 AM   #4123
mswood
Rear Admiral
 
mswood's Avatar
 
Location: 9th level of Hell
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
Sell your DVDs and get whatever you can for them. If you don't have a Blu-ray player yet, they're incredibly cheap these days.

I'm very happy that I never bothered purchasing the DVD sets.
Where's a good place to sell the DVDs. They are in very good condition and that was something I was thinking about.
Yeah, there is shameless in your face money grab with double dipping, but they are others that have so much different that I don't feel it at all. And as long as I can afford it, I will be all over it.

Though in fairness Trek is one thing that I have purchased nearly every form of over the years, all versions of VHS, Laser Disc, DVD sets, Blu-Ray. The only things I didn't get was the two disc dvd release of TOS (as I knew they would due season sets), and the first HD release of TOS (as I figured based on content that Blu-Ray would win that battle).

Based on what we have seen so far, its a huge, huge improvement. I love it, and this is for the episodes I don't even like much...
__________________
My fandom will SALT and BURN your fandom!
mswood is offline  
Old July 19 2012, 06:37 AM   #4124
mswood
Rear Admiral
 
mswood's Avatar
 
Location: 9th level of Hell
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Mike Okuda wrote: View Post
Tomalak301: I understand your feelings about double-dipping (I feel the same way!), but I honestly don't think this qualifies. Here's why: CBS has put an extraordinary amount of effort into rescanning and reconstructing the entire series and rebuilding all the visual effects from the original film. It's not quite an all-new series, but I think it's pretty darned close. I think ST:TNG in HD represents a quantum leap in clarity, detail, and color. It reveals so much that was originally lost in the murkiness of standard-def video, yet remains faithful to the artistry of the show's original creators.
Oh, believe me, Mike, I'm already sold. The price seems reasonable, I'm just wondering what I do with the old sets. Keep them (And let them collect dust) or try to trade them in somehow. TNG is my favorite series of all of them, so maybe this is something worth paying for (And then getting a blu-ray player later if I need to). We'll see what happens.
IF money isn't a huge factor (which of course could be), might I recommend good will, or the equivilant.

And if you don't have a blu-ray currently, (and might purchase later) remember Christmas at least in teh US usually offers some really good pricing for players. I got my first one 2 years ago for $79.00SO I would think a great sale would get you some very reasonable prices.

God I had a VCR for over a decade before prices ever feel under $100. That's depressing.

Just an idea.
__________________
My fandom will SALT and BURN your fandom!
mswood is offline  
Old July 19 2012, 07:14 AM   #4125
FelizNavidad
Admiral
 
FelizNavidad's Avatar
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Well, I went ahead and did it. I had some money from my birthday earlier this month and consider this a late birthday gift. Pre-order is in, I have it set for Store pick up, and I will be there sometime on Tuesday to get my copy. I honestly can't wait now.

Considering the next season will be out hopefully by christmas and I can ask for it as a gift, and then the next season after that maybe sometime in July, this might actually be good timing.
__________________
Twitter

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
tng-r

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.