Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Closed Thread

Old July 8 2012, 02:00 PM   #3826
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
gaghyogi49 wrote: View Post
Yes, we do have the set. Some updates will go live soon that I have worked on the last few months. I'm sure, though, that several other sites will have the set soon too. Only 2 1/2 more weeks! :-)
So, gaghyogi, what's the 2-second upscaled shot from "We'll Always Have Paris"? Or are you saving that for your updates?
I don't have the set right now, as Bernd has it. As far as I know, though, the shot in question is a 2 second reaction shot of Riker on the bridge, nothing spectacular.
Old July 8 2012, 02:05 PM   #3827
Cap.T
Lieutenant Commander

According to what I was told, they hired another team to handle the added workload of scanning and assembling more episodes quicker so they'd be ready for VFX work sooner (the artists and compositors were apparently sometimes waiting on restored footage to work with -- that's my $.02 anyway)... and it's likely this wont push up the release dates at all -- things just got "a bit hairy at the end" as they were struggling to meet their deadline for Season 1.

The hope is that Season 2 will be totally complete by the end of the year and 3 will be at least assembled with VFX work well under way... with initial assembly of 4 and 5 begun before the year is over.
Ok, thanks for the Info.
Old July 9 2012, 01:19 AM   #3828
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Again Minos is utterly fantastic...I had recently watched Arsenal of Freedom a few days ago and was moaning at the lows rez images, and now I'm flabbergasted with the quality of the image.
Old July 9 2012, 01:57 AM   #3829
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Yes, we do have the set. Some updates will go live soon that I have worked on the last few months. I'm sure, though, that several other sites will have the set soon too. Only 2 1/2 more weeks! :-)
So, gaghyogi, what's the 2-second upscaled shot from "We'll Always Have Paris"? Or are you saving that for your updates?
I don't have the set right now, as Bernd has it. As far as I know, though, the shot in question is a 2 second reaction shot of Riker on the bridge, nothing spectacular.
Interesting. There's really only one reaction shot of Riker on the bridge that fits the bill, and that's when Data is doing his hiccup digression. It's when Riker first looks at Data as he begins to speak -- and it's 2.4 seconds long. What's interesting though, is that Riker then looks back at Picard during Data's speech. They could've used that second shot in reverse to replace the missing shot. If that's the shot we're talking about, that is.

It's weird that they would lose just this particular piece out of all the film from Season 1.
Old July 9 2012, 02:14 AM   #3830
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Interesting. There's really only one reaction shot of Riker on the bridge that fits the bill, and that's when Data is doing his hiccup digression. It's when Riker first looks at Data as he begins to speak -- and it's 2.4 seconds long. What's interesting though, is that Riker then looks back at Picard during Data's speech. They could've used that second shot in reverse to replace the missing shot. If that's the shot we're talking about, that is.

It's weird that they would lose just this particular piece out of all the film from Season 1.
It might have been misplaced like that bit from Sins of the Father. Worst case scenario is that someone stole it or lost it when the film was originally put in storage. But I doubt malicious intent was involved here, since the clip involved is so mundane. If it were Picard's "Let's make sure they remember the name Enterprise" speech from YE, then we could say it was malicious intent (or overzealous fandom).
Old July 9 2012, 02:31 PM   #3831
trekker670
Fleet Captain

There were a few new shots posted on the Star Trek facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4392375&type=1

Old July 9 2012, 02:47 PM   #3832
bullethead
Fleet Captain

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Is that the Batris or just its (often reused) model? The tractor beam is kind weird with that green color instead of the usual blue.
Old July 9 2012, 03:40 PM   #3833
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

Updated TrekCore with newer (higher resolution) images of these new SFX Shot releases coupled with the original DVD shots for comparison:

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/index.html#news1fx

I *think* the last shot of the Batris from "Symbiosis" has the tractor beam flickering in different colors due to interference from the solar flares, however I could be mistaken - I haven't seen the episode for a while. If it's true, then the still they have could just be as the tractor beam cycles through these colors.
Old July 9 2012, 07:31 PM   #3834
davejames
Vice Admiral

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
We have another TrekCore Exclusive for you all!!

Wondering how they will remaster this infamous shot??

All is revealed after the link!!

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/index.html#minos
Awesome. I'm SO happy to see them finally updating those awful planets on TNG. Of all the changes they could make, that's the only one I was really hoping to see.

MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
If they're working on Season 3 already, an interesting question is have they decided to replace the 4 foot Enterprise with the CGI model from the beginning of the Inner Light.
It would be cool if they did, but if they already have the film elements of the model it's doubtful they would go through the trouble of replacing them all.
Old July 9 2012, 07:44 PM   #3835
trekker670
Fleet Captain

From the sampler we can assume that they will be keeping the 4-footer, since it was included in that set.
Old July 9 2012, 07:58 PM   #3836
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

These shots are gorgeous! This set can't come quickly enough! And now that we know they are working on season 3, I can't help but wonder if they are going to exercise a little more creative freedom when they re-composite the visual f/x on episodes like "Yesterday's Enterprise" and BoBW. I know that Mike Okuda says they are trying to remain faithful to the original work, but I would love to see some extra surprises added in.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Old July 9 2012, 08:14 PM   #3837
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Warp Coil wrote: View Post
These shots are gorgeous! This set can't come quickly enough! And now that we know they are working on season 3, I can't help but wonder if they are going to exercise a little more creative freedom when they re-composite the visual f/x on episodes like "Yesterday's Enterprise" and BoBW. I know that Mike Okuda says they are trying to remain faithful to the original work, but I would love to see some extra surprises added in.
I'd rather they leave the episodes alone as much as possible.
Old July 9 2012, 09:46 PM   #3838
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

bullethead wrote: View Post
trekker670 wrote: View Post
The tractor beam is kind weird with that green color instead of the usual blue.
FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
I *think* the last shot of the Batris from "Symbiosis" has the tractor beam flickering in different colors due to interference from the solar flares, however I could be mistaken - I haven't seen the episode for a while. If it's true, then the still they have could just be as the tractor beam cycles through these colors.
Have to wait until we see it in motion, but shouldn't the tractor beam be ever so slightly tapered toward the Enterprise as it was in the original? With the beam the same thickness at both ends, it makes it look as if the freighter is underneath the Enterprise rather than in front of it.

A little disappointed in that... otherwise it looks great. Just a little odd to see an effect like that on TNG... looks reminiscent of a primitive original series beam effect where perspective wasn't taken into account. Maybe this is an example of them rushing near the end to complete the season. If so, I'm glad they hired another team.
Old July 9 2012, 11:19 PM   #3839
bullethead
Fleet Captain

IGN has an early review of TNG-R S1.
Old July 9 2012, 11:25 PM   #3840
RAMA
Vice Admiral

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/observations/tng-r.htm?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter# 2012 70s

Ex Astris Scientia posted that Naked Now has a surprise.

Last edited by RAMA; July 10 2012 at 12:35 AM.
Closed Thread